Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Description of Reloader 7 rifle powder

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Alliant reloder 7 doesn't have markers.
    Hercules reloder 7 has brown markers...that probably look somewhat red to old eyes.
    So, I posted this because of a recent discussion on another forum. I commented I had some older canisters of Reloder 7 (Hercules) recently, but am using from a more recent lot (Alliant) that's less than 10 years old. Someone posted to be sure to work up new loads if/when I start using the older powder, they also commented there is differing amounts of nitroglycerin and there would be Brown markers. So I open a old can of Hercules, sure enough brown markers.
    Well, it appears that was just a happy coincidence. Because after the differences of opinion in this thread, I did some searching and found a interesting thread. It seems that Hercules would "adjust" Lot to Lot of Reloder 7 and then add various colored markers to reflect what they did. I guess it's even documented in some Lyman reloading manuals.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...655-Reloader-7
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    just checked 2 sealed cardboard 1 lb. containers by Hercules + 1 sealed 1 lb. plastic container of Alliant RL7 - none had any colored taggants at all - jmho imagine the severe legal jeopardy the manufacturer would face if someone loaded red dot pistol powder into any rifle cartridges using RL7 specs -
    !!!we .are mature reloaders, I am not the smartest but I have over 50 years of reloading. Can we keep the chatter for newbies out? I am absalutly fed up with the beware of lawyer, be careful you don’t hurt yourself!! Good Greif
    Look twice, shoot once.

i personally have been reloading rifle, pistol. + shotshells since 1965 with never an accident - but i do acknowledge the facts + reality of current times - jmho - legal jeopardy is a regular established fact in this day + age + should never be ignored - manufacturers spend million of dollars per year in insurance premiums + legal advice to protect their business from it -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    just checked 2 sealed cardboard 1 lb. containers by Hercules + 1 sealed 1 lb. plastic container of Alliant RL7 - none had any colored taggants at all - jmho imagine the severe legal jeopardy the manufacturer would face if someone loaded red dot pistol powder into any rifle cartridges using RL7 specs -
    LOL
    Serves em right me says!!!!
    We need to remove All warnings ...let the Gene Pool Cleanse Itself!!!!!

Boolit Master
    this past summer I came across about 20 pounds of various powders, most of it 20 to 30 years old. included was a cardboard pound of Hercules 7 reloder. they all work perfectly fine. just work your load up and shouldn't have any problem with old powder unless it is rancid. reloder 7/rl7 is just about as useful for cast bullet loads as 4198 it works excellent in an awful lot of different calibers and is the go to powder for many including all of the straight wall rifle calibers I have ever reloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    this past summer I came across about 20 pounds of various powders, most of it 20 to 30 years old. included was a cardboard pound of Hercules 7 reloder. they all work perfectly fine. just work your load up and shouldn't have any problem with old powder unless it is rancid. reloder 7/rl7 is just about as useful for cast bullet loads as 4198 it works excellent in an awful lot of different calibers and is the go to powder for many including all of the straight wall rifle calibers I have ever reloaded.
    just curious, did the Hercules RL7 have any colored taggants in it ?
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    I didn't notice any, it's kind of a silvery grey. little round, like spaghetti, bits about twice or 3x as long as they are wide. but my eyesight is not all that good and lighting is poor where I reload.

I have an old cardboard can of it with maybe 200 grains left, I will post a picture of it. The old power is different in appearance as compared to the new RL 7 powder.
    The older RL7 has very small ID flakes. I may not be able to see them anymore even with cheeters.

Boolit Master
    just curious, did the Hercules RL7 have any colored taggants in it ?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I didn't notice any, it's kind of a silvery grey. little round, like spaghetti, bits about twice or 3x as long as they are wide. but my eyesight is not all that good and lighting is poor where I reload.
    thanks for the prompt response -

as they say in latin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old RL 7 Powder.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	322174 Some Red and Blueish green ID grains in the old RL 7.

Name:	Old RL7.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	322175 Relative to my income when I bought this powder compared to today's income the current $60 / lb is a wash, but sure doesn't' feel like it when I see the prices.

Recent RL 7

Name:	Newer RL 7 powder.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	322176

Name:	Newer RL 7 container.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	322177

Reloder 7 is a faster burning rifle powder, used for Varmint cartridges, light rifles or smaller caliber rifles...and old black powder types like the 45-70.

Boolit Master
    i personally have been reloading rifle, pistol. + shotshells since 1965 with never an accident - but i do acknowledge the facts + reality of current times - jmho - legal jeopardy is a regular established fact in this day + age + should never be ignored - manufacturers spend million of dollars per year in insurance premiums + legal advice to protect their business from it -
    So does common sense and like the previous poster said it ain't that common anymore unless your a lawyer looking for work ? are you ?

fwiw - I am not a lawyer, why would you even ask that? -

as they say in latin

fyi - i emailed alliant + here is their response -

Alliant Reloading Alliant.Reloading at VistaOutdoor.com <Alliant.Reloading.VistaOutdoor.com@email.federalp remium.com>

You

Robert-

RL7 does not have color indicators in the powder.

Perry L. /Technical Service Rep.

CCI/Speer/Alliant

2299 Snake River Ave.

Lewiston, ID 83501

(866)286-7436

Question:
    on going discussion on a forum - to your knowledge did RL7 powder come with red or other color taggants in the mixture for sale to the public - thanks in advance

From: cs@email.alliantpowder.com <cs@email.alliantpowder.com>
    Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2024 11:15 AM
    To: Alliant Reloading <Alliant.Reloading@VistaOutdoor.com>
    Subject: Alliant Powder - Ask the Expert Form

as they say in latin

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, schutzen-jager
    Well, that answers that, all the Reloder 7 that Alliant made, sold in Alliant containers, does not have color indicators in the powder.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Thanks, schutzen-jager
    Well, that answers that, all the Reloder 7 that Alliant made, sold in Alliant containers, does not have color indicators in the powder.
    I have a container of Hercules Reloder 7 that does have colored granules. They don’t stand out like raisins in rice, but they are there. If I knew how to post pictures with IPhone I could prove it.

I have an unopened 5 pound container of Alliant RL7 which I hadn’t planned to open until I used all the Hercules, but I just might go look.

FWIW, my Hercules looks just like what is posted above.
    "Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil." Doug Patton

Converting lead into gold

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    I have a container of Hercules Reloder 7 that does have colored granules. They don’t stand out like raisins in rice, but they are there. If I knew how to post pictures with IPhone I could prove it.

>>>SNIP
    Alchemist, I don't doubt you one bit.
    mine has brown markers.
    if you read post #21 and the link therein, it explains why the different colors.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Grand Master
    flakes with small red flakes sounds like red dot to me
    may have been placed in different container
    I would not use as RL-7
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast