Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Lee buckshot mold??????

Boolit Man

Lee buckshot mold??????

Anyone out there remember a Lee buckshot mold that cast a connecting "wire" between the shot so that they stayed together when you fired them????? I seem to remember reading about this mold but can't find anything on it now. Been a while back. Maybe it was a limited run type thing {???} Maybe it never actually existed, but I remember something about it.
    It sticks in my mind that it cast like 9 pellets or so, all connected and intended to be loaded together, I guess to get more range out of the load. Am I dreaming???? Did they ever make, or do they still make this thing???? If so, what was it called or referred to??? Thanks in advance for any info, it is greatly appreciated. M

The regular buckshot molds are 3 balls molded together that you have to snip apart if you want them separated, but not 9 all together that Ive ever seen.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

I remember molds for 3 00 buckshot that cast them in a group that fit inside a 12 ga hull, you could stack 4 of these in a 3 in. 12 ga. magnum. I have also seen "bolo" molds that connected two buckshot together with a short piece of wire, but I don't recall seeing a mold for 12 of them all at once, at least not yet.

Boolit Master

Regular buck in different sizes in S&S just now, cheap.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    I have one that makes #4 buckshot. It has 6 stacks of 3 cavities each. I got it a few months ago and have yet to use it. Got one of the Lyman 44 caliber Devastator hollow points at the same time and haven't used it either. I'm sure there will be some frustration making the buckshot but mainly just wanted to play around with it for fun. I don't think Lee ever intended users to leave the pellets connected though. They come out of the mold connected because there has to be a flow from one cavity to the next.

Boolit Man
    Thanks fellas!!!!! It really sounds like I either dreamed this up or read about it and misunderstood the article. Oh well, woulda been nice, but I guess not. Thanks again!!!! M

Boolit Buddy
    Is it possible that the maker is someone other than Lee? I have a mold that matches your description but forget the brand.

At any rate eBay has a bunch listed. Search "buckshot mold". Mine is similar to Marty's but has a depression in the back side that is good to pour lead into for preheating.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Sitzme View Post
    Is it possible that the maker is someone other than Lee? I have a mold that matches your description but forget the brand.

At any rate eBay has a bunch listed. Search "buckshot mold". Mine is similar to Marty's but has a depression in the back side that is good to pour lead into for preheating.
    Ahha!!!!! Maybe I wasn't dreaming!!!! I will check it out.....I thought I remember reading about this mold and I don't know where I got that it was made by Lee, apparently not. If I find one I will do two things, the first is order one {maybe two} the second is post on here to confirm that I am not going crazy and what mold it is!!! Thanks for the info!!! It is greatly appreciated. If you happen upon what brand the mold is please advise.....M

Boolit Grand Master

Are you sure you aren't thinking of splitshot moulds for fishing sinkers?

Many, many, many years ago I used split shot that was about 00 buck size and crimped several to a piece of thin SS wire then loaded it into a deshotted shotshell. I didn't get very good results after a few tries so gave up. It is possible the shot slid on (and maybe off!) the wire while it was whipping around on its way to the target. These were soft lead too. Not sure if cast on hard shot would be any better that way. If the wire was tinned with solder first that might hold the buckshot in place. Doesn't hurt to try but make sure you use a shotcup to keep the wire off your bore!

Longbow

Boolit Mold
    Maybe this is what you are referring to. There's a guy on YouTube Wade Rush-Bubba Round Tree Outdoors. He loads mostly buckshot and some slug loads. This is a video he did some years ago shooting buckshot from a lee mold and the buckshot was un-snipped (three pellets to a string and 3 strings). Hope it helps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzm25FWNW-M&t=859s

Boolit Man
    Thanks, fellas, for the last two posts.....very interesting how the three string Lee almost always blows apart. I would have thought that, as short as the connector piece is, they would have stayed together better. Some did, but not many, to the point that it doesn't really look like it's worth even trying or worrying about. Thanks again, it is greatly appreciated!!!! M