Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser engraving on firearms?

Boolit Master

Laser engraving on firearms?

Has anyone had any expierience having their firearm laser engraved with scenery/animals or scroll work? If so could you give your opinion of the results, and maybe post photos.
    Thanks
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

I'm interested to see some as well. Ive noticed there are cerekote finishes (within the same H series) that some claim to be " good for laser engraving"

Boolit Master
    I have a local shooter who does laser engraving. I have seen his work,,, and it's very nice. You can look them up at;
    www.makestuffbetter.net

Boolit Master

That's what I'm looking for, but a little closer to home.

Boolit Master
    Contact them. They may know somebody closer to you.

Boolit Master

There's a shop a couple block from me that does laser engraving. I have had him do a few for me. The laser actually raises the metal a bit, not cut like regular engraving.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the tips fellas. Located a shop about 30 miles away. I may drive up with the rifle and check with them.

Boolit Master

The shop will need a FFL to keep the gun over night!
    If they don’t have one then they can only work on it while you are there.

Boolit Master

Thanks delta, I did not realize that.

Boolit Master
    We have a guy who sets up demonstrations and samples at gun shows and takes orders for laser engraving jobs. The quality of the work looks very good, but the only programs he has are modern designs more suited to AR-type rifles: “Punisher” skulls and the like.

If he did scrollwork and banknote-type game scenes, he’d certainly have me as a customer. But I check his table every show and nothing changes there.

Boolit Master

Yes, I've noticed a lot of advertisements on the net that are AR- type application.

Boolit Buddy
    In the next few months I am going to start looking into a laser engraver who can replicate the factory markings on Husqvarna's hunting rifles from the 1960's: the crown emblem, caliber, serial number (which is meaningless from that period), and the 'vapenfabriks' text along the top of the barrel. We had a roll marking machine when I worked attempting to resurrect what used to be Montana Rifle Company, but I supposed the cost of the dies for the machine for one single job would have been ridiculous.

Not creating a fake - Husqvarna never made a 35 Whelen, much less in a Mannlicher stocked rifle as this rifle is - but I like the idea of having that as one of the custom touches on this custom rifle. Matching the Husqvarna font for such a job might be the hardest, the company emblem being just another graphic? Whoever I talk to about doing that, I have three takeoff Husqvarna barrels from that period to send along to help match the markings.

Following this thread while sitting here freezing my ass off in -40 Montana, only going outside to shovel the new snow...

Boolit Master

That's waaaay to cold for me.

Boolit Master
    My step son and I are going to give it a go with his stuff. He has been doing tumblers and other things for a year or so now. His engraver cost 12k and he honestly does not think it will pull it off. I will let you know if the snow ever stops so I can make the two hour trip to see him. Engraving in wood is easy its the metal that is hard as sometimes I am told it can take several passes without moving the part you want engraved.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

I have had several guns, glasses, shot glasses and suppressors engraved. The chrome molly steel is fairly easy, less powerful laser. The Stainless requires a much more powerful machine, and a titanium can engraved to ATF specs is a different world. Most laser engravers are part of a computer network setup, that uses software for the lettering and numbering faunus and other designs such as vines and animals. My local engraver is setup to do most faunts, plus photos, like a family portrait on glass, stone, marble, plates, etc.
    Here is a set I did for a retiring rescue detachment commander, my local engraver did the laser work, I did the fill and coloring. The leather holster is El Passo, Knife is a 1970 Puma, new Puma push sheith, bone grips are stabilized Vietnam water buffalo bone, Gun is a highly modified custom Ruger Commander and mags are fitted stainless steel with last 3 of the gun engraved. The belt has 12 different countries parachute wings, with a Greek gold helmet of Achilles with lightning bolts in the center, the two mag pouches have HALO wings. The glass display case is laser engraved. Just an example of different media, laser engraved.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0038.jpg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    I have watched them lasering elaborate scenes in the stocks of lever action rifles at state matches. One scene was a stagecoach with it's driver cracking his whip over a team of horses. It is fascinating to watch and incredible in detail.
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Master

I have a bell that I would like to have engraved with my ships name and hull number but I do not know anyone who does engraving--either hand or lazer engraving.

Boolit Master

Thank you all for your information.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    I have a bell that I would like to have engraved with my ships name and hull number but I do not know anyone who does engraving--either hand or lazer engraving.
    I’ve got a neighbor that is doing laser engraving. I had him engrave Spyderco knives for my 2 sons for Christmas this year. It does a really nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by txbirdman View Post
    I’ve got a neighbor that is doing laser engraving. I had him engrave Spyderco knives for my 2 sons for Christmas this year. It does a really nice job.
    If you don't mind me asking, what's the cost for such a job?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast