Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wild hogs

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    I think there are a lot of farmers who would be perfectly happy to see all wild hogs eradicated. I knew one farmer who lost 2-3 acres of cabbages every night to hogs. They would take one big bite out of the head and leave the rest of the plant, so it was completely ruined for human consumption. He ultimately lost over half his crop that year.

My son works on a farm that has one ruined pasture of about 50 acres. The pigs have wallowed out so many holes that it can't be plowed with a tractor. They also kill every type of baby animal, deer, turkey eggs, quail - they will eat anything they can get in their mouth.

This huge growth spurt has primarily happened in my lifetime - we never saw feral hogs when I was a kid - now they are everywhere and continuing to multiply. That's basically a 65-year cycle of eruption.
    They're in the wrong business...Fence in that cabbage plot, add hogs, charge $500/person/day for "hunting". Problem solved.

Probably make more money than cabbage farming and it'd be a lot less work.

Boolit Grand Master

Im finding this post interesting. Ive trapped but not animals this big or with the "stakes this has. You take a sow and you take her and every piglet she would have had, You take a boar and you make the remaining boars happy.

These animals are real pests and very destructive. Controlling them is hard especially with the easier winters weve been having. One issue is as people populate remoter areas they push these animals out into other areas its a migration of sorts. Some suburbs around here the deer coon coyotes have become nuisances because of this.

Game departments frown of transporting them because of the diseases and different things that are also transported with them into a new area..

Pigs were brought into some areas when they were settled released, not for hunting but to clear underbrush snakes and make the ground easier to clear for farming. The pigs cleared the vines thorns and snake leaving the trees for logging and then pulling stumps.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Don’t have a population of them in my state. If there ever was I think they were farm escapes gone rouge. Saw one along the road about 15+ years ago probably closer to 20 along the riverbank. Thought it was a dog at first becuase it was furry with knotted up looking hair. Lighter brown than a Russian boar with longer hair all messed up. Figured it was a pig that got away and just lived on the Mississippi river islands. Don’t know if it was wild or somebody’s pig that got away would be my guess. Always thought it’d be awesome if they ran around here cause I’d love to shoot them but I’m sure as soon as you have them around and they start causing damage you think else wise.

Some in Louisiana are originally from Russia, and were brought and released to hunt.
    In a tight spot, or when wounded---- they will kill you, and maybe your horse too.

They may be the same kind some rich guy in California brought in to hunt there,
    and they escaped or were released and ranged into farm lands.

The common ones all over the place are domestic pigs that have gone wild.
    It's hard to believe, but they morf into the black, furry, boar looking snout things that are causing all the damage.

There is another variety that's moving down from Canada that is pretty big compared to
    the size of our local ones. It may be the same as what they've killed a few of in the lower East Coast.
    They're talking about a few 'hogzillas' weighing several hundred pounds out there in the wilds.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-10-2024 at 02:46 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    They're in the wrong business...Fence in that cabbage plot, add hogs, charge $500/person/day for "hunting". Problem solved.

Probably make more money than cabbage farming and it'd be a lot less work.
    I reckon you must not like cabbage...LOL

It's common for farmers to presell contracts to a wholesaler then they use the contracts as collateral to buy fertilizer and other necessities to ensure success. Predation from any type of pest sabotages that investment and drives up prices when the product isn't available for consumption.

I don't know how profitable cabbages are, but the farmer I knew with the hog problem grossed $25,000 an acre from jalapeno peppers during one picking session, and 2-3 harvests per year - this was back in the late 1980's, when it was real money. Of course, that was before expenses - all I know is that he worked long hours but lived pretty well. He retired sufficiently wealthy that he and his family moved to Colorado when he quit the biz.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    wgr,, trapping hogs is a bit labor intensive. And it does require good materials,, or as noted above,, they will get out. They've been known to climb over some fencing,, root out under others, and just plain tear up some traps.

And as you can see above,, considered a nuisance in many, many places. For Damage Control Agents,, the goal is to remove as many as possible from a property due to the extensive damage they cause. "Just a few" does nothing for real control due to the reproduction rate they have.
    Generally speaking,, younger pigs are the better eating ones. And yes,, they are delicious, IF,, IF,, properly handled from the time of the kill to processing. Pressure washing the carcass is an excellent way to assist in this. Gloves,, and extra care in gutting, skinning & butchering is also a must.
    When I hunted them in TX on my nephews property(he has a little over 1,000 acres in TX hill country, pretty much leased out to hunters for the next 20 years... 2 week blocks but he reserves 2 weeks for family) I always shot the 100-150 pounders... much better eating, no rank boar taste... I had 2 chest freezers in the back of my truck, mine and my sister and brother in laws. We filled them. Ran a generator al the way home. Usually added a deer or two also.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Some in Louisiana are originally from Russia, and were brought and released to hunt.
    In a tight spot, or when wounded---- they will kill you, and maybe your horse too.

They may be the same kind some rich guy in California brought in to hunt there,
    and they escaped or were released and ranged into farm lands.

The common ones all over the place are domestic pigs that have gone wild.
    It's hard to believe, but they morf into the black, furry, boar looking snout things that are causing all the damage.

There is another variety that's moving down from Canada that is pretty big compared to
    the size of our local ones. It may be the same as what they've killed a few of in the lower East Coast.
    They're talking about a few 'hogzillas' weighing several hundred pounds out there in the wilds.
    Ones in Canada are a Russian Boar, BIG suckers, 400+ pounds... I would not want to run into one deer hunting! Unless I was using a 300 win mag or larger rifle!

Head and front of the shoulders on them is armored, even the ones in the lower 48. .223 rounds will fragment and bounce off! Or just embed an inch into the shoulder hide because of expansion. Just makes them madder... .223 is okay on little ones but past 150 pounds? NOPE!

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Ones in Canada are a Russian Boar, BIG suckers, 400+ pounds... I would not want to run into one deer hunting! Unless I was using a 300 win mag or larger rifle!
    I think that's the kind released in Louisiana back in the 50-60s.
    There was stories from down there where some idiot would go into the brush after a wounded one.
    In one, the fella shot the boar 6 times with a .44Mag...... before the boar killed him.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Grand Master

One of the first things done at birth is to nip the tusks with a set of side cutters, this is usually done as they drop. Ears are notched and when they get to 20-30 lbs males are castrated. In the wild this dosnt happen so the tusks grow as normal.

Being short heavy pigs have a very low center of gravity the wide long stance combined make them very stable and hard to take off their feet, then they are built like a speed bump.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    It has always amazed me that trying to raise pigs is problematic at best (care, feeding, medicating, keeping them warm, keeping them cool, onandonandonandon!) yet, in the Wild, they multiply like rabbits, grow like weeds, laugh at sub-freezing and 100-degree temps and just simply THRIVE!
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    It has always amazed me that trying to raise pigs is problematic at best (care, feeding, medicating, keeping them warm, keeping them cool, onandonandonandon!) yet, in the Wild, they multiply like rabbits, grow like weeds, laugh at sub-freezing and 100-degree temps and just simply THRIVE!
    ^^^^This^^^^
    I still hate pigs except for the ham/ bacon/ sausage bits…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    ^^^^This^^^^
    I still hate pigs except for the ham/ bacon/ sausage bits…
    Now days,,,, I'm more inclined to hunt them at the local grocery store.
    I don't have to get out bad weather,
    and I've heard they aren't harmed by getting then into those clear plastic wrapped packages.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1194.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	321945

My friend Walter Jr posing with one we trapped just after Christmas.

Late 70's, early 80's GM heavy metal. Sweet!
    Hope you let the fleas jump off that beast before you put him in the truck!
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    Wild hogs eat a varied diet that is healthy, captive ones are fed the same garbage grain diet every day...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Wild hogs eat a varied diet that is healthy, captive ones are fed the same garbage grain diet every day...
    Your point is well made for "Commercial" and Large Farm raised hogs. But small growers/small family farms often do not feed on grain or other manufactured Feed. Growing up; we raised our hogs (for market and "Buy Back" some pork) on the spoiled produce from Grocery Stores and Small Convenience Stores (Connivence stores used to carry real food). In Junior High School and High School; one of my many family duties was to pick up the spoiled produce in 55 Gallon Barrels before or after school in my old pickup truck.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

My Dad's small porker operation was supplemented by gaining the "concession" for collecting the waste products from the local school cafeteria (School Superintendent: "What? you want to haul off our lunchroom waste? For FREE? Absolutely, sir!"). When it was getting close to market time, we would feed from the bounty of that year's milo crop (grain and stalk: my Dad wasted not a DARN thing!) to fatten them up a bit.

Boolit Master

I have seen hogs eating a dead deer. Rotten fish is a real treat as are snakes of any kind. Alligator carcass is a big hit. Any kind of fruit or melons drives ‘em batty and helps clean them out. In short they will eat anything dead or alive except standing timber.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    I have seen hogs eating a dead deer. Rotten fish is a real treat as are snakes of any kind. Alligator carcass is a big hit. Any kind of fruit or melons drives ‘em batty and helps clean them out. In short they will eat anything dead or alive except standing timber.
    Bad as possums... saw one eat into a dead bloated cow carcass, it exploded and the possum kept eating its way in.... I was 400 feet down wind watching on a spotting scope and almost puked from the smell!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by wgr View Post
    saw were some guys were traping wild hogs, is this new if so what do they do with them? would love to get a few my self but cant afford to much cash
    We have been trapping hogs for well over 20 years. I use about 10 - 12 cattle panels in a teardrop shape. I place 6' t-posts every 4 feet around the circumference. At the narrow end is a drop gate to trap them that is tripped by the hogs when the enter towards the back of the trap. We then load them in a cattle trailer and sell them at state approved sites or we eat them....they are really excellent to eat!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast