RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: wild hogs

Boolit Master

I bought my property to hunt deer and have been killing them (well over 500 myself) for nearly 40-years. They wander the forest in packs, eat acorns, snakes, tender shoots of palmetto, my planted fields (for wildlife), and root for earthworms and grub worms in fallen trees. They will tear a planted field up and render an unimproved forest road impassable.

As the deer, hogs are fun to hunt and "easy" to kill, if you and your hunting rifles do their parts. From "close aboard" 22LR to the "X" between ears and eyes, to 338 through and through, drop them in their tracks, dead right there (DRT), or injure them, and suffer to track on hands and knees through thick vegetation, which is a good way to get yourself killed or badly injured. I don't recommend the latter. Know yourself and your equipment. Be confident. Know where to put the bullet for a DRT experience, with no tracking required.

If they don't know they are being hunted and are not frightened before you drop them in their own tracks, their meat is excellent! Like everything, when injured, the "primordial soup" of fight or flight is in their veins, they will be running scared, and the resulting meat will be "strong".

In a cooler or refrigerator, rendering the meat overnight, bagged, in Italian salad dressing (vinegar and oil if you like), will eliminate a lot of "gamey" taste and soften the connecting tissues. ASSURE the "musky" scent glands are removed prior to cooking!!! Don't ask me how I know...
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

There is small industry in Texas to trap and ship live wild hogs to hunt companies and to foreign users. Must be state medically approved shipping across state lines.
    Whatever!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123