RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HENRY SINGLE SHOT 360 BuckHammer

Boolit Master

Yea the Marlins do not have as much Drop as Winchesters. Henrys copy Winchester... So drop allot.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    My issue is Henry stocks are NOT SCOPE
    FRIENDLY. They have FAR TOO
    MUCH drop.

I love the look and workmanship. NOT THE ERGOS.

CW
    My Henry seems to work well with either one, it is the standard blue model. Planning to put a Leupold FX 2.5x20 in QR mounts on it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    My Henry seems to work well with either one, it is the standard blue model. Planning to put a Leupold FX 2.5x20 in QR mounts on it.
    Just a suggestion on your scope choice: the FX 2.5 is a great scope, I’ve got a couple of them. However, for a cartridge like the 350L, 360, or the 357max I believe there is a better option. Take a look at the Leupold Twilight Hunter 1.5-5 with a CDS dial. I bought two of these last year and for deer hunting they can’t be beat. If you know your muzzle velocity (actual for best results) you can adjust the dial for any distance and they are basically spot on. The adjustable lighted center dot on the reticle is fantastic for early morning or late afternoon shooting. I shot a deer this year at a measured 214 yards and hit right where I was aiming. I’ve shot a few last year using this same model scope on my 358Win and have one on my 45-70. You can get one from Scopelist.com for about a hundred bucks less than MRSP. Not much more than the FX scope.

Boolit Master

I am REALLY enjoying a modified duplex where too strada is missing and a tiny illuminated dot is added to reticule. Just as perfect a hunting setup as I could imagion for close to med range shots in thick dark timber.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    The .308 single shot I traded for was scoped with a Vortex 3-9 and has a Bradley adjustable cheek rest installed. It works very well and I'm considering it for a couple of other rifles. Costs about $125. This is important if your rear scope bell needs taller rings to give access to the hammer, even with a hammer offset attached. GF

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I am REALLY enjoying a modified duplex where too strada is missing and a tiny illuminated dot is added to reticule. Just as perfect a hunting setup as I could imagion for close to med range shots in thick dark timber.

CW
    I like that reticle too. Vortex makes one with the lighted dot in the middle of the duplex for and my LGS has them for $200 but it is a 30 mm and it weighs a solid 1 lb. I am in the same boat as NSB with the lower powered 2.5x but the 1-4x Leupolds would work for me IF they had a standard duplex. I tried a Pig Plex and the center of the reticle disappears against a dark target. I have considered a 4x Rimfire with a duplex since they are recoil tested to the same test as big rifle scopes. The 75 yd parallax correction does not matter to me that much since most of my shooting/hunting is 100yds or less. The old 4x compact Leupolds sell for more than a new one nowdays....if you can find one for sale.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I have a Leupold 4x Compact on my .357 Max Henry. I think I paid $175. for it used at a Gun Show? I have thought about a low powered variable, but the 4x works pretty darn good. I haven't noticed an issue with the drop in the stock? hc18flyer

Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    I have a Leupold 4x Compact on my .357 Max Henry. I think I paid $175. for it used at a Gun Show? I have thought about a low powered variable, but the 4x works pretty darn good. I haven't noticed an issue with the drop in the stock? hc18flyer
    Burris made some pretty good compact scopes a while back. They would be the cat's meow for a single shot especially when they are chambered for a round that has a rainbow trajectory. At the public range I go to sometimes, I see people with 30-30's and 44 mag rifles with huge scopes. I know that us lower powered and compact scope admirers are in the vast minority so it's easy to understand manufacturers making huge scopes. Maybe they know something we don't. I can imagine the difficulty using a short eye relief high powered scope on rifles like CW said with lots of stock drop.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    I just found the Leupold mounts and rings and put a Leupold copy of the 2.5x Lyman Alaskan on my Browning 1885 .45-70. I've bore-sighted it at 50 yards, but have yet to get to the range. I've got one of the Uncle Mike's cartridge butt sleeves on it and I've scrunched a piece of 3/4" foam pipe insulation under the top edge which gives me just the right height for the center of the scope. It's kind of strange, but on the "bay" that set of mounts, rings, and scope would bring almost as much as the rifle itself. GF

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Just a suggestion on your scope choice: the FX 2.5 is a great scope, I’ve got a couple of them. However, for a cartridge like the 350L, 360, or the 357max I believe there is a better option. Take a look at the Leupold Twilight Hunter 1.5-5 with a CDS dial. I bought two of these last year and for deer hunting they can’t be beat. If you know your muzzle velocity (actual for best results) you can adjust the dial for any distance and they are basically spot on. The adjustable lighted center dot on the reticle is fantastic for early morning or late afternoon shooting. I shot a deer this year at a measured 214 yards and hit right where I was aiming. I’ve shot a few last year using this same model scope on my 358Win and have one on my 45-70. You can get one from Scopelist.com for about a hundred bucks less than MRSP. Not much more than the FX scope.
    Thanks, will check that out. My Henry is a .45-70 that only sees Unique powered Trapdoor loads, so not sure it would really benefit from something like that.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy

I just got an email from them stating the same thing. I am looking for one right now if I don't have to pay scalped prices.

Just sent Henry a suggestion about a single shot .38-55 and also a muzzleloader built on the same action.

In a semi-related vein, I believe that if Henry is going to do an inline muzzleloader they need to make it smokeless proofed. It would be a huge leg up on the competition. The fact that we are still stuck using BP or pricey subs in nearly all of today's technologically advanced caseless front loading centerfire rifles is just bogus. Many of today's inline only loads with subs are well into smokeless pressure level anyway. I finally capitulated and put a small scope on my inline, after the deer beat me by staying outside the range where I'm comfortable using sights. May as well use smokeless powder while I'm at it, if my rifle could do it.
    Last edited by FergusonTO35; 01-23-2024 at 10:06 AM.

Boolit Master
    I went through the whole smokeless ML process. I had a Savage ML2 and spent three years doing everything in the book to it. I ended up putting an aftermarket Shilen barrel on it from Arrrowhead and did the sabotless thing shooting jacketed bullets sized to fit the barrel, etc. It shot good, but in the end it wasn’t any more effective than my TC Encore. Today I’m shooting a CVA in-line that’s a 1moa gun shooting a 295g Barnes bullet at around 1900 fps with Blackhorn209. I shot two deer with it this year well over a hundred yards. One was 175. Last year I shot one over 200 yards. I don’t know anyone with two eyes and ten fingers who’s shooting non-smokeless in-lines at smokeless pressure. You need to understand the design of these guns (breech plug to barrel) and what the actual differences are in pressure. To extend your range a range finder is necessary as well as a something like a Leupold CDS dial or mil dot scope. You don’t really gain much going smokeless over a good black powder sub gun like the CVA. Two friends of mine bought the CVA’s and I was amazed at how well they shot with a factory 2lb trigger and a Bergara barrel. Unbelievable! I bought one on the spot after watching them and sold the TC barrel.

I went through the whole smokeless ML process. I had a Savage ML2 and spent three years doing everything in the book to it. I ended up putting an aftermarket Shilen barrel on it from Arrrowhead and did the sabotless thing shooting jacketed bullets sized to fit the barrel, etc. It shot good, but in the end it wasn’t any more effective than my TC Encore. Today I’m shooting a CVA in-line that’s a 1moa gun shooting a 295g Barnes bullet at around 1900 fps with Blackhorn209. I shot two deer with it this year well over a hundred yards. One was 175. Last year I shot one over 200 yards. I don’t know anyone with two eyes and ten fingers who’s shooting non-smokeless in-lines at smokeless pressure. You need to understand the design of these guns (breech plug to barrel) and what the actual differences are in pressure. To extend your range a range finder is necessary as well as a something like a Leupold CDS dial or mil dot scope. You don’t really gain much going smokeless over a good black powder sub gun like the CVA. Two friends of mine bought the CVA’s and I was amazed at how well they shot with a factory 2lb trigger and a Bergara barrel. Unbelievable! I bought one on the spot after watching them and sold the TC barrel.
    Respectfully, I would never suggest amateur experimentation with smokeless powder in any gun not made for it. Also, what I mean in my comment about pressure is that many inline loads with subs are past 30k psi, meaning past blackpowder and into the lower pressure rifle cartridges. I didn't mean to imply that they are over 60k or anything like that. My desire to use smokeless is not performance but simple practicality: I already have a variety of smokeless powders on the shelf and cleanup is easier. I agree that BH209 is everything it's cracked up to be. It also costs about four times as much as common smokeless powders and isn't suitable for sidelocks. If I have to use a BP sub (as I do now with Pyrodex P), I want it to be sidelock compatible. I'm not interested in spending what amounts to $120.00 a pound on a special powder that only one rifle can use, I don't even do that for my favorite bughole group rifles. I would rather just continue the status quo and use a much lower cost BP sub in all my muzzleloaders, even if cleaning and corrosion prevention is more of a hassle.

Anybody know of a Weaver style rail for Henry single shots that is short enough to allow the rear sight to remain in place? I could cut the front of a Weaver H&R base, but wondering if there is one that doesn't require that.

I have yet to hear about a bad shooting CVA rifle--ML or center fire. I just wish they made a 357 Scout (I could turn into a Maximum) or a 360 BuckHammer. I know...they make a 350 Legend but I really don't want a .355 diameter rifle.

Back on the subject of the Henry single shot: I found one of the better (made in Korea) Simmons 2.5x20 scopes to put on it, since the FX-II goes for above retail even when used. Biggest problem is all the scope mounts I've found for NEF/Henry require you to remove the rear sight. Anybody know of a mount that is short enough to allow the rear sight to remain? I guess I could just cut the used Weaver base I have and create another slot for the scope ring, but I would rather get one that is made the way I want first.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Thanks, will check that out. My Henry is a .45-70 that only sees Unique powered Trapdoor loads, so not sure it would really benefit from something like that.
    The more it drops the MORE you benefit from a CDS dial. You’re thinking about it the wrong way. A CDS dial and a range finder gives you a lot more distance if you simply know the yardage and have the means to adjust for it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast