Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: 38 Rim Fire Bullets

Boolit Bub

38 Rim Fire Bullets

I was just reading about the struggle for some folks to get heeled bullets for various calibers. I am rebuilding my lathe right now ...This is my last project. I plan on making bullets for 32 Rim Fire next. Then more calibers. I developed this method for making heeled hollow base 22lr bullets. It is easy to scale up but still a lot of stuff to make:

Boolit Master
    Very interesting! I appreciate you sharing and look forward to seeing your progress.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

The thing is, 38 heeled bullets, dies and tools are already available. I like what you are doing but why make what you can buy?

https://oldwestbulletmoulds.com/shop...n-heel-bullets

Boolit Master

Another option: Accurate Molds has several heeled bullet designs listed: for .32, they seem to start in the catalog web page with the .32-065J and go heavier from there. In .38 they start at 38-130C and go heavier from there. Tom can take any of those designs and tweak and tune to order, or start completely from scratch for you.

Personally, I'd follow the pattern of the .32-085H with its tumble-lube nose section, but the P.C. crowd could omit this. Slug the bore for groove diameter, swage-cast your chamber for throat length and taper, and (I'm not sure how heeled works for the seating process) pin gauge either a fired or sized case mouth to figure out your heel diameter.

Hopefully MarlinMan93 will chime in - he's the resident Ballard expert - - many of the cast receiver #2's had reversible firing pins to swap from the rimfire to centerfire versions of the available .32's and .38's. I have little doubt he's been here before.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    I second the Accurate bullet molds as the readily available option here. I use their heeled bullet molds in both .32 and .38 caliber to make ammo for several rifle options. The .32’s are loaded into 32 Short Colt cases to fuel #2 and #4 rolling blocks as well as a Marlin 1892. The .38’s are loaded into either 38 Short Colt or trimmed 38 Special cases for a #2 rolling block.
    I have converted the rolling blocks from RF to CF and the 1892 has a CF firing pin installed.

Boolit Master
    I don't know what the mould number is off hand but I have a 85 gr. .32 bullet that I just use a lathe and cut down the base band to match the grease groove and then dip the loaded rounds in homemade lube. It only takes a few seconds on the lathe to cut them. It has a crimp groove to hold plenty of lube but you don't want to put these in your pocket, the lube is soft.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

You make your own cases too?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    You make your own cases too?
    Yep
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

My short video on how I convert .44-40 standard 427098 bullets to heel bullets for .44 S&W American in 30 seconds. The same can br done for other sizes.

https://youtu.be/ziw5hcccEg4?si=QNZhBnD2lGoJXWub

When I started loading the .44 Colt Original I built a little swaging die
    and used the Lee 450-200-1R with a heel swaged on the base, it's their Black Powder Conical Cap and Ball bullet.
    I have plans to load the .38 Long Colt and have designed a die to swage a heel on the Lee 375-130-1R.
    I simply press the base in my little Arbor Press, then rotate the bullet 90 degrees and press it again.
    The 0.159" hole is to be tapped for a flat head bolt to use as a stop for the bullet.

AntiqueSledMan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 38 Forming Heel Die.jpg