Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Savage 219 Auto Safety

Savage 219 Auto Safety

I have a first model 219 in 30-30, the model with a striker that cocks when the top lever is pushed to the right. The safety is automatically moved to the safe position at the same time.
    I don't like this automatic safety feature because there is no way to avoid dry firing the gun to de-cock it. I've heard that dry firing this model can result in a broken firing pin.
    My first solution was to remove the safety button and internal safety lever. With those parts removed I can de-cock by pushing the top lever hard right, pulling the trigger, and letting the lever come back slowly. This was an easy mod but it required the gun be carried empty until ready to shoot.
    There was another option. These guns are a pain to work on but today I bit the boolit and took it apart. I removed the safety push rod and push rod spring. After a few appropriate incantations, I got it back together, including the safety button and safety lever.
    Now it has a functional safety which is not moved to the safe position automatically. So I can carry it loaded and on safe, but I can de-cock after unloading the chamber by using the top lever.

One thing hasn't changed. Never de-cock when the barrel is open. It's a sure fire way to snap off the firing pin when you close the barrel!
    We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
    W. Churchill

Or, if you must de-cock you could just use a snap cap to avoid any problems. I have one (a 220) that has been in the family for over 65 years, never de-cocked and still works just like it should.

BobT, is the 220 a shotgun? If so, I think those firing pins are more robust than on a 30-30? My firing pin tip is .070" diameter and about .4" long. Even when you install it correctly the firing pin tip gets bent sideways a little.

Good suggestion about using a snap cap.
    W. Churchill

The 220 is a 20ga. shotgun and the firing pin is a larger diameter than the 219, I did have a 219 though but I've never had any firing pin related issues. I guess I just don't understand how the firing pin could be damaged by leaving the action cocked. I'll give a little background on my 220, my grandpa bought it for my grandma so she could deer hunt with him. I don't know if grandma ever hunted with grandpa or not but the gun is going to be passed on to one of my granddaughters and if I need to gather up some spare parts beforehand I want to make sure I have them. Curiosity motivated me to look at the schematic for the gun and according to Gun Parts the firing pin assembly for the 219 can be used in the 220 also. Just as an aside, I deactivated the auto safety on my gun years ago, I thought it gave me an edge when trying to get a second quail on a covey rise. Any more I'm not coordinated enough to shoot 2 squirrels out of the same hickory tree, let alone 2 quail on a covey rise. I'm glad you posted this, thinking about my old gun brings back many good childhood memories!

Yeah, I don't think the firing pin is damaged by leaving the gun cocked. There might be a small chance that the mainspring could take a set over time, but with modern materials it's not likely.
    I understand that in the early days of coil springs in guns, the British had a command to "ease springs" with the Martini-Henry. A soldier would open the lever and then hold the trigger back while closing the lever. That's what I do on my M-H. I guess I always like to leave a gun unloaded with the "hammer" down.
    BTW, I am working up a cast boolit load for my 219. It's ugly and no finish left at all, but it's the most accurate 30-30 I've owned. Great for groundhogs.
    Someday I'm sure your granddaughter will be proud to take charge of that 220. It's great to be able to pass along an interest in shooting and a piece of family history, too!
    W. Churchill

Boolit Buddy
    Never liked or trusted those Savage hammerless designs. I've seen what a puny safety mechanism is inside. About as safe as lying down to look up and inspect the edge of a guillotine.