RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: New to me 9422 lever action.

Boolit Master

New to me 9422 lever action.

I bought a 1972 vintage Winchester 9422 LR at a local pawn shop yesterday. Still waiting for background check to clear to pick it up. Seems I'm 16 hundred and some on the waiting list. The rifle is in really good condition, "EXCEPT" the previous owner left it leaning or lying on something damp or caustic or ???, on the left side of the receiver. This caused an etching into the nice bluing. It isn't very deep, (just barely feel it with fingernail) but did get below the bluing. What would be the best way to deep clean the etching, and what would be reccomended to touch up the area? I have some Birchwood Caseys Perma-Blue paste, but didn't know if it would have a detrimental to the factory bluing? I will try to post pics when I get the rifle.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve had this one chambered in 22 magnum for I don’t know how long:

I enjoy shooting it but I don’t get it out as much as I used too.

I’m sure you will enjoy yours when you finally pick it up.

Boolit Master

Nice rifle there.
    My brother has one in 22 magnum as well. I opted for the LR version, as it will be a lot easier on my pocket book.

You might have to live with the "etching"; but I would suggest cleaning the area with a product than cleans rust w/o effecting the bluing - Big 45 Frontier metal cleaner. (which I've been using successfully for years in my restorations)

https://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

It can be bought directly from the maker for about $6 USD, and is used with some oil applied to the pad.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I have one in 17HMR and it’s a fine rifle and a fun cartridge.

Boolit Master

From what I've read, they are some of the best post 64 rifles Winchester has manufactured.

Boolit Man
    I have a first year manufacturer 9422M that I'll never sell. Wish I had a matching 9422to go with it.

Boolit Man
    I was just shooting my 9422 last weekend. My mom bought it for my dad new in the '70s, and I got it after my dad passed.

Boolit Master

Looks like I bought into a well established fraternity.

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought mine at Cabelas (or some other place like that) years ago for $283. They had them on closeout.

Never fired it. It was a beautiful rifle.

Sold it last year for a lot more $$$. I wish I had bought a couple of more but I had a lot of .22's at the time.

Used ones are going for stupid money.

I hope it cleans up for you, but in case, go out and enjoy it. I have never heard a negative comment about these rifles.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

To answer your question, I'd probably use a copper Chore Boy (or is it Chore Girl) after I sprayed it well with G96 -- my go-to product for rust/etching/etc. You did not post a photo, while indicating it is "below the bluing". ??? Hence, after leaving the G96 on overnight, I'd wipe off any/all excess with a microfibre cloth and then apply any plain-Jane automobile paste wax. With the G96 you (hopefully) chemically removed nasties; the wax will provide a zero-permeability shield to arrest any further degradation. Maybe 30 years ago I bought an old Remington pump carbine (Model 14R) with similar malady as you describe, and did exactly as I suggested; the carbine looks Zero per-cent worse/different from when I finished the G96/wax "treatment".

Vis the 9422, I bought two of them in the mid-1970s at a between Christmas and New Years Sale of them, already on Clearance. One is the .22 version, the second is their mag (9422M), and each set me back less than one hundred dollars -- brand new. (The good ole' days!!!) You made, imho, a great purchase getting yours! Congratulations and best wishes!
    geo

Boolit Master
    I had a 9422m, the magnum version, and I allowed myself to get finagled out of it by a friend after I backed into his car..... that he had parked across the driveway. He had always lusted after that rifle, and I wasn't in a position to pay for the damages, so I agreed. Still miss that rifle!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Master

Lots of good stories. Really appreciate the feedback. I failed to mention in my original post that whatever had caused the etching, had already been removed by one of the shop employees. So, there was no rust or any other ??? There was only bare metal showing where the damage had occurred. That's why I was asking about cleaning the damaged area to prepare it to be cold blued. Another option would be to get the etched area laser engraved with some sort of scene. I don't plan on ever
    selling it, so I'm not concerned with the resale value. Besides, a nice laser engraving over the etched area would be a lot more appealing. That brings another question. Has any one of all y'all had any laser work done on their firearms?

Boolit Master

I've got around to start a deep cleaning of the action. The takedown screw in the receiver was tighter than tight. Took everything I had to get it to move. Previous owner had used loc-tite on it. I pulled the two pieces of the receiver apart, and low and behold, there was a CCI LR cartridge laying on top of the spring hold down plate and under the carrier. Looks to have been there for awhile, as there was wear marks on it from when the action was operated. Waiting for decent weather to arrive, and go out an try it out. We've had a ice storm hit here in the Willamette Valley Friday night. Frozen rain and sleet came in and froze solid. Really slick. Been down to 18° at night. Right now it's up to a bikini wearing 24°. Stay warm.

Boolit Master

Finally got out to the gun club to try out the rifle. The weather here in the PNW Willamette Valley has been storms and rain. The temperature yesterday was 53° raining and windy. There was a crosswind of about 15 mph and raining off and on. I wasn't expecting any real record breaking groups, but was surprised. I mounted a Burris Fullfield ll 2-7x35
    I had on the shelf. Not a 22 scope. I've been reading about the parallax issues using a non 22 scope under the parallax factory setting of 100 yards, and really noticed this when knowing what to look for. It DOES make a difference @ 50 yards or closer ! So, even with the nasty weather. There were some purty tight clusters of rounds, with the ten rounds fired. I was testing the Federal Black Pack 36 grain cphp. I have read in several articles, that this ammunition is the same, and manufactured by CCI. I bought 5 1600 round cases for 52.00 each before the shtf. Also tried the Aguila 40 grain solid Super Extra, and the Winchester 40 grain solid. All ammo shot seemingly well, with no help from the weather. Of the three different manufacturers, the Aguila ammo looks very promising. The rifle, well, the rifle performed flawlessly. Function was perfect, feeding and chambering was perfect,
    as was extraction and ejecting. I fired about 250 rounds without a single hiccup. I'm wanting to shoot mostly at 100 to 200 yards so I'm
    thinking the Burris with the 100 yard parallax setting will be fine. Any members want to share what, if any, scopes they are using on their 94/22 rifles? Looking forward to bringing this little lever gun back to the range, the sooner the better.
    Last edited by littlejack; 01-23-2024 at 02:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    Hello littlejack, happy to hear that you've been able to enjoy your 94/22 even in this weather.
    I have adjusted parallax on many scopes, and might be able to do your Burris for you, depending where you are in Western OR ?
    Please feel free to send me a PM.

Oh, and I'd be happy to post a pic of my 94/22 when I am back on my computer.
    Best regards,