WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: 800 x Hi Skor and Hogden Long shot powder

Boolit Buddy

800 x Hi Skor and Hogden Long shot powder

Hello All,
    Recently picked up a couple pounds of 800 x and an unopened 4 lb container of Longshot powder, For the longest time Ive been using Ed Harris "the load" in my milsurp rifles and a few other 30 cal`s and just wondering if others have used the above powder in any 30 cal rifles, Im using predominantly lyman 314299 projectile sized .314 or .310 (205 grain) depending on the rifle and powder coated.

Cheers

Boolit Master
    I think both of those propellants tend to burn best at pressures above 25,000 p.s.i. You do not mention the particular .30 caliber round in which you hope to use these, but by the time you get uniform ignition and clean burning, you may also get velocities high enough to make the cast projectile lead the barrel quickly.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

Keep in mind that Hodgdon has discontinued 800x

Boolit Grand Master
    Both are and have been used in shotgun loads. You should not need over 15k psi to get a good burn.

But I cannot offer load suggestions. There should be data in the older manuals for 800X.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I am following this post to find a good way to use up a pound or more of old stock. We realize that it is discontinued.

Boolit Grand Master
    Somewhere, I came across a suggested load of 13.0 grains 800X with a 311-291 in a 30-06. I have no source for it and don't recall ever using it, but my note says "good load." That's all I have. I haven't loaded a 30-06 round in over 10 years, and I can't remember the last time I loaded a cast bullet for it.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a lot of 800x in mild rifle loads
    Works very well even at low pressure , mild cast loads. It's a little slower burning than unique, faster than blue dot. Works very well for me, but large flakes don't flow well in powder measures.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by PAndy View Post
    I use a lot of 800x in mild rifle loads
    Works very well even at low pressure , mild cast loads. It's a little slower burning than unique, faster than blue dot. Works very well for me, but large flakes don't flow well in powder measures.
    Well I've tried the 800 x in one of my Military rifles an Enfield #4 Mk2 .303 with my go to bullet for that Rifle lyman 314299 powder coated and sized .314 (205 grns), 3 different loads so far 13.5,14 and 14.5 grains with the 14.5 showing the best 10 shot groups (3 x 3 1/2") at 105 yards , I did chrony the 14 grain load and was 1520 fps but chrony wasn't available the last visit to range with the 14.5 load , loaded up some 8mm Mauser yesterday so will try those next visit to range.