WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: I like amazing the wife and a math problem for you.

Boolit Buddy

I like amazing the wife and a math problem for you.

My wife is amazed that I can take grungy, disgusting lead wheel weights and turn them into shiny ingots. I feel like Merlin.😀

It is satisfying turning such rubbish into something useful and purified.

Here’s what I am using to melt into ingots—it’s working really well:

GasOne B-5200K Outdoor Cooker with High Pressure Steel Braided Hose Propane Burner Camp Stove

Now, how do I calculate how many hours I can use my propane tank for my grill until I run out of propane? Let’s assume the propane tank was completely full for practical purposes and I have it cranked up to support the melting of lead on a small cast iron melting pot supported by a horseshoe, which I use to support the pot as the opening is otherwise too great.

Propane has about 91,500 btu / gallon. One gallon of propane weighs about 4.24 lbs. 20 lb tanks from an exchange usually have 15 lbs in them instead of 20 lbs. Multiply gallons propane by 91,500 and divide by burner BTU output. That will get you pretty close to a run time at full blast.

I'd use the official redneck method:

Write down when you start, and note the time when the tank is empty.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    Propane has about 91,500 btu / gallon. One gallon of propane weighs about 4.24 lbs. 20 lb tanks from an exchange usually have 15 lbs in them instead of 20 lbs. Multiply gallons propane by 91,500 and divide by burner BTU output. That will get you pretty close to a run time at full blast.
    How do I figure out how many BTUs my unit uses?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0B5B...b_b_asin_title

I just looked it up one site shows 85,000 - 100,000 BTU's. So assume 4 gallons in a 20 lbs bottle --- (17 lbs) ---- 4.3 hrs @ 85,000 BTU --- 3.7 hrs @ 100K BTU

Boolit Master
    My rough rule of thumb: make sure there is enough to make some filet and shrimp with basted baby potatoes and asparagus on the grill before you have to refill. It's strange, but she doesn't seem to notice after that.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Better yet, make sure you have a full spare tank available, lol. I use the side burner to render my lead, but have 2 spare tanks on the sidelines.

A lot depends on the size & shape of the pot. Also if you drain it or leave about an inch in the bottom. Cover with a loose lid helps keep heat in.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    Better yet, make sure you have a full spare tank available, lol. I use the side burner to render my lead, but have 2 spare tanks on the sidelines.
    Wise man, one spare is not enough. Sometimes we get hurricanes, can't have too much propane.
    Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Use the "Winger Ed Method" and the "Mark P Method" then average them and round DOWN. The "DTKnowles" corollary is ALSO a valuable backstop.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    That’s easy, when the flame goes out ya ran it to long! Buy a second tank!!!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Spare tank has already been suggested, seems like it would save a lot of mental gymnastics.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Grand Master
    I try to follow the sage advice from cwtebay, but have 6 spare tanks, always full, just in case.

A long dang time +/- a fair-bit.

Covering the pot helps hold the heat in and you use a bit less propane. I use an old Truck Front Rotor as a lid. I can drop in bits and pieces through the hub hole and I then cover the hole with my large dipping ladle.

redhawk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pot.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	321814

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Given Ace Hardware is a mile away and that’s where I get propane tanks from, it’s easier just to run out and get my next tank than to keep a spare one.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Wise man, one spare is not enough. Sometimes we get hurricanes, can't have too much propane.
    Tim

LIKE !

Daddy taught us to keep one tank hooked up to the burner and two full tanks for back-up's . Don't ever get less than two full back-ups and check that burner tank when you was going to the hardware store .
    Them hurricanes would leave the power out for weeks sometimes !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post

LIKE !

Daddy taught us to keep one tank hooked up to the burner and two full tanks for back-up's . Don't ever get less than two full back-ups and check that burner tank when you was going to the hardware store .
    Them hurricanes would leave the power out for weeks sometimes !
    Gary
    I never was a Boy Scout but I believe in being prepared. I have the three regular propane tanks and some of the disposable small ones and a camp stove. We might not have air conditioning when the power is off but we will have hot food. I have a generator so I can keep the refrigerator running (yes, I have more than one 5 gallon gas can, I think I have three). I use stabilit in the gas but I also use it before it sits too long and refill the cans. I have two 55 gallon drums of drinking water and stored food. I have a canoe and a inflatable raft. Just saying.....If I am cooking I don't want to be running to the store for more propane and the store is close. Thirdly, if someone needs help I want to be able to help. Last hurricane my wife's sister did not have gas for her generator, only had one can and used it up. The line at the gas station was hours long and you could not find a place to buy more gas cans (sold out if the store was open). I gave her two (one was full) of ours as our power came back on.

Seriously I know this belongs in the prepper section but the line at the gas station was so long it spilled out into the street going both ways and they had cops directing traffic, sometimes settling fights for places in line. They even had to divert traffic so the tanker truck could come top up the supply. A lot of people had to live off their generators for many days.

Tim
    Last edited by dtknowles; 01-07-2024 at 08:47 PM.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Just a disclaimer concerning my previous post - I keep at least 5 tanks and have an umbilical from the house tank to fill them. But I stand by my previous statement of keeping Mama happy!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I like the ed winger method. nobody said anything about spares. In my experience, having spares encourages people to use gas instead of fetching more wood.