Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dan Wesson 357 opinions

Boolit Master
    I am currently shooting a CZ manufactured 715 in ihmsa. With a 10in barrel, it will launch a 180gr cast boolit at 1425fps with more accuracy than I am capable of. I also have a 722 that was manufactured just before Bob Serva sold out to CZ. I am more than pleased with it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Yes, there are not many new aftermarket or production parts anymore. I have three Pachmayer Grips and one wooden grip that I reworked along with 4 original factory wooden grips but I bought all my spare parts at auction. I modified a set of rings to mount my scope, not sure there were ever production rings. This is kind of a normal thing for me. I restore old guns and am used to scrounging parts.
    Tim
    Tim,
    Thanks for the response.
    After I made my post, I went to fleabay to check things out, since it was about 3 years ago last time I looked. I was surprised and happy to see the number of factory grips available...and to also see my favorite Thailand grip maker has a line of grips for the DW small frame square post. I've bought 3 Thailand grips for S&W guns and have been pleased with the product fit and finish. So, I ordered a grip for my DW 14-2 this morning. The Grip appears to be glued together at the seam, instead of machined from one piece of wood...so maybe I will be disappointed? Unless this maker uses some high quality adhesive?
    Side note...and a HEADS UP: I seen a original DW grip on fleabay auction, current bid $13. It was ground down on both sides of butt and never refinished, otherwise looked real good. It would be a great candidate for a wood carver to do something with, cuz those original grips are a bit large for my taste, so there is plenty of wood there to work with, I think it also came with the screw...BONUS.
    ALso, my used gun didn't come with box, papers or the barrel tool but I don't have any other barrels so I guess I don't really need it?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed K View Post
    EWK Arms makes one that may be better than the original.
    Thanks for the lead. They look good and are cheaper than what I have seen elsewhere.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Tim,
    Thanks for the response.
    After I made my post, I went to fleabay to check things out, since it was about 3 years ago last time I looked. I was surprised and happy to see the number of factory grips available...and to also see my favorite Thailand grip maker has a line of grips for the DW small frame square post. I've bought 3 Thailand grips for S&W guns and have been pleased with the product fit and finish. So, I ordered a grip for my DW 14-2 this morning. The Grip appears to be glued together at the seam, instead of machined from one piece of wood...so maybe I will be disappointed? Unless this maker uses some high quality adhesive?
    Side note...and a HEADS UP: I seen a original DW grip on fleabay auction, current bid $13. It was ground down on both sides of butt and never refinished, otherwise looked real good. It would be a great candidate for a wood carver to do something with, cuz those original grips are a bit large for my taste, so there is plenty of wood there to work with, I think it also came with the screw...BONUS.
    ALso, my used gun didn't come with box, papers or the barrel tool but I don't have any other barrels so I guess I don't really need it?
    Ed K posted a place to get a barrel tool that seems reasonable. You might want one.

https://www.ewkarms.com/zen8/index.p...dex&cPath=67_5

It would let you set the cylinder to barrel gap. Yes, the stock grips are large. They are a good size for me but they are bulky if trying to conceal. I cut down, reworked and refinished a stock grip and retained the logo button. I will maybe post a picture. I think it came out nice. I have a four inch shroud and barrel but the shroud is in the white and dented up. I just can't seem to get myself to polish and blue it as it will never match the frame.

I don't set my barrel gap with the stock feeler gauge. Depending on how nice the fit/finish is you can go a bit tighter and still get good function. Everyone should have a set of feeler gauges, they don't cost much. I did not get a feeler gauge with any of my guns.

Tim

Boolit Master
    This is all my Dan Wesson stuff except my SuperMag and some screws and sight inserts.

Attachment 321826

Tim

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Ed K posted a place to get a barrel tool that seems reasonable. You might want one.

https://www.ewkarms.com/zen8/index.p...dex&cPath=67_5

It would let you set the cylinder to barrel gap. Yes, the stock grips are large. They are a good size for me but they are bulky if trying to conceal. I cut down, reworked and refinished a stock grip and retained the logo button. I will maybe post a picture. I think it came out nice. I have a four inch shroud and barrel but the shroud is in the white and dented up. I just can't seem to get myself to polish and blue it as it will never match the frame.

I don't set my barrel gap with the stock feeler gauge. Depending on how nice the fit/finish is you can go a bit tighter and still get good function. Everyone should have a set of feeler gauges, they don't cost much. I did not get a feeler gauge with any of my guns.

Tim
    I may be way off base, but I want uniformity (complementing safety) in all my shooting -- hence, Dan Wesson specifies 0.006" as what the gap should be -- and that's what I ALWAYS set mine at. Just me?
    geo

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I may be way off base, but I want uniformity (complementing safety) in all my shooting -- hence, Dan Wesson specifies 0.006" as what the gap should be -- and that's what I ALWAYS set mine at. Just me?
    geo
    I can appreciate that. Not off base, good sense. I am an experimenter; I am not competing, I am exploring. Sometimes I get something that works and I don't change it but more often I am asking what if. If I get something that works and I don't change it, it goes on the shelf and collects dust.

Just you and just me. We are good, we do what we do.

If your gun is well fit, you could change that to .005 or even .004 and stick with that and it should be better. How much better, you would only know by testing, and it might not even be measurable. We do know that to big a gap is not good. I have cranked in down until it drags and backed it off until it doesn't and set the barrel that way. That is too tight after 30 or so shots it starts to drag. I am guessing from heating up and fouling. That would really mess with your double action trigger pull but not so much single action.

Tim
    Last edited by dtknowles; 01-07-2024 at 10:42 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

On my DW I run my gap at .003". DW recommends .006". I have tried 002" but I would get cylinder drag from carbon at .002". Never had an issue at .003" but my DW's are not used for SD.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

LOL I have 2 DW 357 mags
    I also have 2" to 10" barrels and a 14" barrel

Normally I have a 4" and a 8" DW 357 Mag
    But the 10" barrel with a red dot sight has harvested several deer using Hornady 180 gr HP bullets

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    I would suggest getting the barrel tool and remove the barrel once a year or so. I left the barrel on my .22 on foe 10 years or so and had a devil of a time getting it off.

7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 7br View Post
    I would suggest getting the barrel tool and remove the barrel once a year or so. I left the barrel on my .22 on foe 10 years or so and had a devil of a time getting it off.

I have started using anti-seize grease on the frame end barrel threads. I use the same anti-seize used on inline muzzleloader breach plugs.

Tim

Boolit Mold
    Love my 3 a 357 mag a 44mag with a 6in and a 8in ported and a 8in 445supermag with a red dot my go to deer killer.

Well, my local shop had a 44 today with a 4" barrel. I had been figuring on a 357, but this will do to start. I really want to find an 8" barrel for it, if anyone has any leads, I'd sure appreciate it.
    Thanks everyone for the stories and insight, keep em coming, I love it!
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Buddy
    Last I heard CZ still had barrels/shrouds for sale. "Jenny" is the lady that comes to mind that handles DW parts.

EDIT: I poked around the DAN WESSON FORUM and found this information in a posting from September6, 2023:

We still make the 44mag in the following lengths in blued and stainless.

4" $257.00
    6" $304.00
    8" $374.00
    10" $433.00

Thank you,
    Genny Spencer
    Office Manager

CZ-USA/Dan Wesson
    65 Borden Avenue
    Norwich, NY 13815
    913-413-1822
    Genny@cz-usa.com (mailto:Genny@cz-usa.com)
    Last edited by LeonardC; 01-09-2024 at 02:59 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    I had a 357 Dan Wesson years ago and it was an accurate revolver but when I loaded the upper end of 357 mag pressures the cases were pretty hard to extract. I didn't think that the pressure was excessive and I polished the cylinders with some 600 grit and a touch of oil. It did the trick and the gun went to a friend who still has it 40 yrs later.
    I literally have the same exact experience with mine. Very accurate but a pain with extraction, even on light loaded 'magnum' rounds. I'll definitely try the polish trick.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by pull the trigger View Post
    Of all you've had and seen, any failures or breaks that you want to share?
    None.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am no fan of the DW for EDC, the double action is too heavy to suit me and the guns themselves are not light weight. But for target shooting, or hunting, they can not be excelled, at least not for less than double the money. The ones I had were exceptional.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Thanks LeonardC. I'm surprised they still make them
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

In my experience, having had several different .357 magnum revolvers including the 19 and 27 Smiths and a Colt Python, my old DW 15-2 HV was the most accurate .357 Magnum revolver I have ever fired bar none!

Quote Originally Posted by pull the trigger View Post
    Well, my local shop had a 44 today with a 4" barrel. I had been figuring on a 357, but this will do to start. I really want to find an 8" barrel for it, if anyone has any leads, I'd sure appreciate it.
    Thanks everyone for the stories and insight, keep em coming, I love it!
    Update to the story. I kinda want to try a red dot on this this, never had one before. I cant find much out there, and I don't want to drill into it either. Warne makes a red dot mount that attaches (clamps) to a shotgun vent rib. It comes close, but it doesn't fit. I could possibly do some file work and maybe make it work, but I'm not in love with the best possible results, let alone the chance of ruining a $50 mount, so I guess I'll keep looking.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast