Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dan Wesson 357 opinions

Dan Wesson 357 opinions

Which Wesson? Dan or Smith? I'm a big Smith fan, never had a Dan. How are they? LGS has a Dan and I was considering it. Thanks for your opinions
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Master
    I bought a blued Dan in 41 Mag several years ago and like you, I am big on S&W as you are.

Mine is a Monson gun which is supposed to be the most sought after as to time and place where it was built. It is a fine DA revolver though I have not fired it a lot.

The SA trigger is to die for on mine. The DA compared to a Smith is different, not bad, just different. As the prime designer at that time for Dan Wesson was formerly a Colt worker it comes as no surprise the the Dan's maybe more akin to Colts in DA.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I had a 357 Dan Wesson years ago and it was an accurate revolver but when I loaded the upper end of 357 mag pressures the cases were pretty hard to extract. I didn't think that the pressure was excessive and I polished the cylinders with some 600 grit and a touch of oil. It did the trick and the gun went to a friend who still has it 40 yrs later.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

The DW is a good gun. However since CZ bought them and then stopped production of revolvers, the replacement parts have gotten more and more scarce for the revolvers. Plus they never were a warranty shop for older, pre purchase DWs
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Bub
    I love Dan Wessons. I have 20 or so. My favorite is my model 12 4 inch porkchop. I hunt with a 15-2 8 inch hrv with a scope.

Do any red dots fit the vent rib? Thanks for the responses!
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Quote Originally Posted by jss227 View Post
    I love Dan Wessons. I have 20 or so. My favorite is my model 12 4 inch porkchop. I hunt with a 15-2 8 inch hrv with a scope.
    Wow, how did you get started down the Dan Wesson path?
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Master
    The DWs are EXCELLENT revolvers FOR HUNTING.
    If you are contemplating its use as a personal defense tool, I'D rather have the S&W. The cylinder latch on the DWs are murderously slow to manipulate under time pressure, while the S&W cylinder latch is just about the most well thought out available on any production revolver.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Agree the double action trigger is so-so while the single action trigger is fantastic. Accuracy at least as good as S&W or Ruger, some will argue better. Typically can be had cheaper than either. What are you going to do with it? For defense or a duty gun the double action trigger could be a slight negative but if for a single action sporting or target gun you're good to go.

I have used a 10" .41 mag DW in silhouette shooting for over 20 years. I shot a lot of perfect scores using jacketed bullets and one using cast. I never felt handicapped shooting against FA's. Probably not all of them are as accurate as mine, but there were at least 50 of them used in silhouette shooting for every one Smith.

Boolit Master

my first gun i purchased was a dan wesson 357mag, it was a 70s era pistol and you could not con me into selling it for any amount of money
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by pull the trigger View Post
    Which Wesson? Dan or Smith? I'm a big Smith fan, never had a Dan. How are they? LGS has a Dan and I was considering it. Thanks for your opinions
    I bought my .357 Dan Wesson on a "whim" at a local gun shop, after my inquiry as to, in his opinion, which revolver had the best accuracy potential. Much more than a casual shooter -- he had won many, many competitions -- with zero hesitation he pointed to the Dan Wesson in his show-case. It followed me home, and in my Gil Hebard rest proves that he was not in any way incorrect. It took a few years, but vis a popular auction sight I bid on and purchased different sized barrels, grips, their brief case, and even a patch plus belt buckle! While Dan Wesson sold their "pistol kit" with all in one, I was able -- being patient, through the years -- to assemble mine.
    This is a definite "plus" to the Dan Wesson perhaps being the one you elect -- it takes less than three minutes to CHANGE barrels. Also, you can swap different colour sight inserts as well as grips to your choosing.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dan Wesson Pistol Pack.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	321789 One added note is mine came with a short barrel on it, and my first quest was their 4" barrel. At the time, pretty much all barrel lengths were available, except for the most-popular and sought after four-incher. So.... if the Dan Wesson you are looking at comes with a 4" barrel attached -- this is another big plus!
    geo

Super Moderator

I purchased a used DW Model 15 back in the early 1980's. It came with the 4", 6" and 8" barrels and was extremely accurate. I got cash strapped and foolishly sold it, and I sorely wish that I hadn't. It was one heck of a good shooter, and every now and then I run into the guy that I sold it to. He's a security guard for an armored car company and he carries it as his duty gun. I don't know much about today's production DW revolvers, but back then they were well made firearms.

Boolit Master
    FWIW, a story I've told before.

Gunsmith got a DW in with a complaint of not being accurate anymore. He got the handloads used for the gun. When he put a factory round in a chamber it 'rattled' around, a lot. He asked about the reloads. They were Bullseye with 125gn JHP. How much powder? The customer said he didn't know, he just filled up the case. Gunsmith weighed the charges and indeed, they were way up there (around 12gn IIRC). Probably well over 60kpsi.

Short story, gun was sent back to DW. DW returned a nice letter with a check for the value of the gun. In so many words they asked that the customer not buy another DW.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    my first gun i purchased was a dan wesson 357mag, it was a 70s era pistol and you could not con me into selling it for any amount of money
    +1 on this. My 6" Dan Wesson bought in 1970's is most accurate pistol I have and will be subject to multi family dispute over ownership when I am gone.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Good info on the 4" barrel. I plan to hunt and target shoot with it. Are the barrels pretty interchangeable with in the caliber? Do 14 and 15 barrels and shrouds swap around? Thanks for all the responses.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Grand Master

Withing the same calibers and models all are interchangeable. The early version 38/357 DW used "porkchop barrel shrouds" and a different style barrel nut. I don't know enough about them to comment. I do love both of my 15-2's.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I have 6 Dan Wesson revolvers and one more on the way. I have a variety of barrels and shrouds in 4", 6", and 8". I have .22, .32-20, 357 Mag. and .357 Max. I think they are very accurate, you would have to pay a lot more money to get a more accurate revolver. I have a scope on one of my 8" vent heavy shrouds, but I did my own gunsmithing it was not an off the shelf deal. Yes, the latch takes two hands. Double action trigger seems ok to me and the single action trigger is usually excellent right as it comes from the factory. All mine are Monson, I have not seen any that were not, but I know they are out there.

The shrouds come in two styles, porkchop and straight. All mine are straight. Barrel threads are varied so you can't put a .22 barrel on a .357 frame, you can see how that is necessary but the shrouds and barrel nuts are interchangeable. It used to be easy to pick up extra barrels and shrouds but now not so much and they are pricey.
    Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    I shot my first DW back in the mid 1970's. After that experience,, I always wanted one,, or two, or three,,,! Back then,, I couldn't afford the few I'd find.
    Fast forward to recent years.
    I found a 4 barrel pistol pac, Monson, 15-2. All it was missing was the patch, the buckle, and the manual. Love the gun! Last year,, I found a DW pistol pac in .44 Mag. It has (2) each barrels in 6" & 8". (Basically 2 spare barrels,, but no shrouds to match.) it came with a manual, the patch & buckle.

Both guns are superbly accurate if I do my part. And with several discussions with a former IHMSA champion,, who proclaimed the fact that DW handguns were THE gun to beat.

If you find a good deal on a pac,, or heck,, just a gun,, you will appreciate them for serious shooting,, unless speed is necessary for reloads.

Boolit Buddy
    CZ USA still have springs kits for the revolvers. Part # DWRSKS for the small frame DWRSKL for the large frame Dan Wesson.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast