RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Sccy DVG any good?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Sccy DVG any good?

Anybody have experience with the Sccy DVG series pistols? I know the CPX double actions aren't much, but the striker fired DVG seems to be really nice for what little it costs. Good trigger pull and Glock sights compatible. I'm thinking it might be a good option for when you don't want to carry something expensive, like when going fishing or working on the farm. The firing mechanism seems to be borrowed from Kahr.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Not much experience with them other than shooting one a few mags full.
    9mm felt like a 40 cal.
    While the pistol felt comfortable, it was a harsh recoil and I did not like it.
    Failure is not an Option

Sccy pistols feel like recombinated beach plastic. I was interested in one that came with a reflex sight installed. I lost interest after holding it in my hands and doing basic auto pistol function check.

Boolit Master
    Do they shoot well?

Heck, to me Glocks feel like xxxx, but I appreciate the reliability and accuracy.

I carry a Radom P-64 when I want something small and flat to carry. It has some sharp edges that 'bite' after a couple mags, but, it is as accurate as I need it and it has never failed to function. I've considered replacing it with a SCCY.

I work part time at a gun shop. I can tell you that the company does care about their customers and they repair guns very quickly. That being said, the CPX series are probably tied with the Heritage RR as our most returned gun. The quality of materials used in the Sccy pistols is actually pretty good, I'm not aware of any that needed a receiver, slide or barrel replaced. At least with the CPX, the mechanical design is flawed. Way too many of them come in where the trigger no longer functions. I would not trust a CPX for carry, or even as a backup gun for that matter. I suspect the actual defect rate is way higher because the average Sccy purchaser seldom shoots the pistol if ever.

I'm not aware that we have ever had to return a DVG. I field stripped one yesterday and can tell you that the mechanical design is remarkably similar to Kahr, and the finish and apparent quality of the parts looks very good to me. Like, the company put a lot of thought into it and want to produce an inexpensive gun that can be a really good alternative to the big boys.

We have a really sharp gray frame black slide DVG on sale for $179.00 right now. My next shift I may roll the dice and put one in layaway. I'm fully aware that this gun is not a substitute for my Glock 26 or even my Taurus 856. But, there is a definite niche it can fill. When I'm out on the tractor, mowing the grass, or wade fishing it's nice to have some firepower with me that is not too expensive to replace if needed.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Anybody have experience with the Sccy DVG series pistols? I know the CPX double actions aren't much, but the striker fired DVG seems to be really nice for what little it costs. Good trigger pull and Glock sights compatible. I'm thinking it might be a good option for when you don't want to carry something expensive, like when going fishing or working on the farm. The firing mechanism seems to be borrowed from Kahr.
    I have replaced more of their extractors than illegal aliens have crossed into Texas! Other than having a terrible trigger, they are okay. Just recoils harder because of their size.

ACC

I have replaced more of their extractors than illegal aliens have crossed into Texas! Other than having a terrible trigger, they are okay. Just recoils harder because of their size.

ACC

Thanks. Do you mean the CPX or newer DVG? The latter trigger is actually really good for a cheap gun.

Boolit Master
    Went back and watched some Hickok45 videos. He had some malfunctions with certain ammo in the hammer version. If you look at some other reviews they are mixed. One guy will have a lot of misfires while another has none. A couple have done some pretty horrible things to the gun (like drop off a roof onto concrete and run over it with a car) and it still works fine.

For a small difference you could get a Taurus G3C, which almost all the reviewers like a lot.

I am probably going to go back to carrying my HK VP9.

I had a G3C for awhile and it was a good little gun. Only let it go because a gent here traded me $400.00 of reloading stuff for it. At my shop, the DVG is $60.00 less than the G3C right now which is alot of money in this price range. We shall see, I'm more just curious than anything. The only way I would get a CPX (hammer version) is if it was free.

Boolit Grand Master
    Heck Ferg it’s 179 bucks. Will be interested in what you have to say after testing.

Thing is, I just put a Super Wrangler in layaway jail, so it may be awhile!

Boolit Grand Master
    I do like my Super Wrangler. In extensive chronograph testing my 5.5” noticeably, as in very noticeably, obtained much higher velocities with 22 LR and 22 mag ammo than two Heritages with 6.5” barrels. As in not even close.

The Heritage has too much B/C gap and a forcing cone so funneled you could use it to pour motor oil in your truck. That’s part of what you get for the extra 100-150 dollars over the Heritage.

Very much worth it.

Thanks. I'm no fan of the Rough Rider. Yeah, they are an acceptable 100.00 gun but you do get what you pay for. In the case of the Super Wrangler, you get a lot more than what you pay for!

I haven't written off the DVG just yet. It does intrigue me and I'm a big fan of cheap guns that work well. Another one I'm interested in is the Ruger EC9s.

Boolit Bub

Disabled Army veteran

Sorry, that Dahlgone Armory looks way too good to be true.

Boolit Bub

Sorry, that Dahlgone Armory looks way too good to be true.
    All the good deals are on the reddit gundeals sub. Legit.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Disabled Army veteran

Boolit Grand Master
    Dahlonega Armory does not seem to be BBB rated. Their prices are remarkably low. I'd think twice before ordering, unless I was close enough to drive by and check them out.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Agreed, too many scans out there.

Boolit Bub

Not an XD fan, but:
    https://www.finfeatherfur.com/spring...mm-4-od-green/

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Disabled Army veteran