Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leather apron for fat guys

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    when I searched for that all I got was used watches
    That is funny!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...rt+xl&_sacat=0
    There is a lab coat for not much money that would even cover your lap if sitting on a stool.

When it comes to life altering events, too much safety is never too much. That is just the old fireman in me.... I've seen too much.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    I used to cast in jeans, but a small splash and a burn on my knee showed me that molten lead does not just roll off denim. HF sells a leather welding apron at about half the price of the Amazon model in the OP. And I wear it inside out, thinking that with my luck the pockets on it would catch and hold a spill. I think it was $15 well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    when I searched for that all I got was used watches
    ...milsurp stores, sir
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BamaNapper View Post
    I used to cast in jeans, but a small splash and a burn on my knee showed me that molten lead does not just roll off denim. HF sells a leather welding apron at about half the price of the Amazon model in the OP. And I wear it inside out, thinking that with my luck the pockets on it would catch and hold a spill. I think it was $15 well spent.
    That’s a good deal and would be great for normal sized humans. Unfortunately my girth is way above average. The extra width of the Urby is something I really need.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Not a big guy so my HF leather apron works well but you could just add longer ties and presto. And with the 20-25% off coupon can’t beat the price.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Not a big guy so my HF leather apron works well but you could just add longer ties and presto. And with the 20-25% off coupon can’t beat the price.
    Longer ties allow it to not fall off, but won’t increase the coverage width. I completely agree the HF apron is a good deal for normal sized folks. Fat guys might be better served spending a few more dollars.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Vendor Sponsor

Buy two?
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

I suppose buying what I need makes me happier than making do with something less to save pennies. Others may value the pennies more. I guess that’s why ice cream comes in both chocolate and vanilla.

Agreed ! Safety equipment isn’t the place to skimp.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I suppose buying what I need makes me happier than making do with something less to save pennies. Others may value the pennies more. I guess that’s why ice cream comes in both chocolate and vanilla.
    I was just kidding you about getting two. I think you are smart for taking it seriously.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

We had a guy at work that bought 2 belts to get one big enough

Boolit Master

I've got one of the 'old' Duluth Trading Co. treated-canvas aprons that I've used many years for both welding and casting. It's been spattered and splashed more times that I can count with nary a burn-through. Apron is labled as a 'large' and, below the arms, leaves only about a 4" gap in the back when tied up snug. Dunno where you might find one of these today but, if you have one in your area, you might try a welding supply store.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Buy two?
    I did just that a couple of years ago. I wanted something to lay over my sand bags to keep from burning the jeans leg bags. Actually they are soy bean bags. I'll never wear out the apron I wear to cast unless something catastrophic occurs. After reading this thread, I'm a lot more careful.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I spent years working in machine shops + welding too. Here's a tip if you're a big boy (or are getting arthritis in the shoulder joints like me) . Instead of trying to reach around behind you to tie an apron on, put it on backwards with the straps facing the front. Then, after you've made a nice bow knot just spin the apron around the right way. It makes things a lot easier.

Boolit Master

Nomex is good stuff, needs a cotton (no polyester) layer next to the skin. This was demonstrated to us newbies in USAF pilot training at a group briefing. Fellow on stage had a propane torch, wood board and pieces of Nomex flying suit and cotton t-shirt material. He put a Nomex layer on the wood and played the torch over it, then showed us that the wood was scorched. Same test using cotton under the nomex, no wood burning. Got my attention and I always wore cotton under the zoom suit.

Boolit Buddy

I forage and scavenge all my lead and having several catastrophic mishaps with pots of 40 plus lbs, I can tell you that jeans will not prevent a blister. They'll prevent third degree burns but not a good blister... I once melted a pot of "pulled bullets". Started with a cold pot and brought it up, started to flow nicely and then I learned the rough way that someone had dropped two 209 magnum primers into the mix through my negligence. I still have lead decorating parts of my patio and my wife still grumbles about it. Only thing that saved my skin was a used nomex lab coat I had acquired and leather gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    I spent years working in machine shops + welding too. Here's a tip if you're a big boy (or are getting arthritis in the shoulder joints like me) . Instead of trying to reach around behind you to tie an apron on, put it on backwards with the straps facing the front. Then, after you've made a nice bow knot just spin the apron around the right way. It makes things a lot easier.
    ...well, maybe I can suggest something about it:
    longer (2x) apron side straps allow me to tie my leather apron on the front_ works for me_
    (not advised for lathe/mill/gear/etc. work, but for casting only, o.c.)
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 01-10-2024 at 10:34 AM. Reason: side
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Master

Imashooter2, thanks for the recommendation of the Urby apron. Mine just arrived, and it looks like a decent piece of kit. I'm a 4XL guy, and it fits me.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I put on a long old milspec desert camo shirt, garden gloves and a face shield. Haven't had any issues yet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Recycled bullet View Post
    I have fried bacon naked but I put on gloves to cast bullets. Don't ever pour lead into your boot. You can never get the sock off fast enough.
    I dropped a freshly brewed cup of tea on my foot not too long ago. That took several days to heal. I can only imagine what lead would do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast