MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leather apron for fat guys

Boolit Grand Master

Leather apron for fat guys

I know all you manly men cast bare handed wearing shorts, sandals and a tee shirt.

I’m a bit more pragmatic. I like leather boots, gloves, cotton pants and shirt and an apron to keep splashes off the pants. Been using a cheap cotton shop apron for years, but recently I pushed the speed a bit too far, turned the mold and poured a sprue puddle in my lap. No injury, the apron did its job, but it got me considering a little upgrade to something more substantial.

Now I’m about twice the man most are… measured by volume anyway. A search ensued for a leather apron that would provide good coverage and not break the bank. I found the Urby Plus Size Work Apron on Amazon. For the price my expectations weren’t very high, but I have to say I’m pleasantly surprised. The leather is decent weight, but supple and the strap system is comfortable and secure. Don’t be put off by the picture accompanying the advertisement. They have it flared out like a sail to show how big it is. In use it wraps loosely around the body and does not hinder movement. Transition from standing to sitting doesn’t require careful arrangement for coverage like my old cotton apron did.

Anyway, without further gilding of the lily, here is a link to what I bought. No affiliation, just happy with the product. Well worth the $35.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CDJPMWTJ...t_details&th=1
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

I know all you manly men cast bare handed wearing shorts, sandals and a tee shirt.

Is my neighbor posting pictures of me again!

Just glad the puddle didn't burn anything!
    Usually cast in a hooded sweat shirt, and jeans. I don't remember the last time I had anything on other than leather boots.
    Oh and one glove, right hand!

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Yeah,,, I'm working on being more safe myself.
    It was a big step in that direction when I got my first set of handles for the molds too.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I have fried bacon naked but I put on gloves to cast bullets. Don't ever pour lead into your boot. You can never get the sock off fast enough.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Not going to argue the virtues of a leather apron, but for those of us using a cotton apron One might take a page from the professional welding folks (I learned the trick from an old phart): 100% heavy cotton apron (I buy medium-heavy canvas and have a local seamstress make my aprons) and then take them to the local cleaners and have them starched extra heavy and pressed. I use these aprons when TIG welding aircraft frames, pouring babbit bearings and any other task that requires I protect myself from stupid-hot substances. The starch works amazingly well to deflect molten metal from the canvas.

And, Confucius say: "Man who fry bacon naked ask for trouble!"
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

That may be, confuscious say trouble taste so good.

Vendor Sponsor

Casting sitting down is asking for it in the lap.

If health issues rules out standing for long periods, consider casting on a higher table and sitting on a bar-stool so your lap is not a bucket.

As a retired fireman, Nomex is a part of my attire. Better than cotton, which is not bad but not Nomex either. Check Ebay for second hand Nomex. With cotton, more than one layer is better than one thick layer. Three thin layers is better than one thick. Why? Because the layers can/will separate and not touch your skin.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post

If health issues rules out standing for long periods, consider casting on a higher table and sitting on a bar-stool so your lap is not a bucket.

As a retired fireman, Nomex is a part of my attire. Better than cotton, which is not bad but not Nomex either. Check Ebay for second hand Nomex. With cotton, more than one layer is better than one thick layer. Three thin layers is better than one thick. Why? Because the layers can/will separate and not touch your skin.
    Arthritis rules out standing. I have my pot on a riser and I cast on a stool, but I still have a lap. At least one sufficient to allow a sprue puddle to stick to a cotton apron. The apron did its job. This leather apron is just an upgrade. The extra width is the real bonus for me. No more jacking around the cotton trying to get good coverage. If a large quantity of lead hits it, I can just stand up and there is immediate air gap. Are there scenarios that still get me hurt? Of course there are. But this is a definite upgrade on my previous PPE.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Actually Confuscious revised: "Man who fry bacon naked ask for trouble!" to " Man who fry bacon naked, burn sausage"!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I dont cast often but on a picnic table, in shorts and a tshirt or none. Carefully and try to keep the sun from frying me. Always glasses and with those great, cheap HF gloves. Arr Arr

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Yeah,,, I'm working on being more safe myself.
    It was a big step in that direction when I got my first set of handles for the molds too.
    FUNNY statement above, cause I remember that story!
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Or a variant of "English Steamed Pudding"...

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Actually Confuscious revised: "Man who fry bacon naked ask for trouble!" to " Man who fry bacon naked, burn sausage"!
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    That's what I was thinking! Ouch!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Arthritis rules out standing. I have my pot on a riser and I cast on a stool, but I still have a lap. At least one sufficient to allow a sprue puddle to stick to a cotton apron. The apron did its job. This leather apron is just an upgrade. The extra width is the real bonus for me. No more jacking around the cotton trying to get good coverage. If a large quantity of lead hits it, I can just stand up and there is immediate air gap. Are there scenarios that still get me hurt? Of course there are. But this is a definite upgrade on my previous PPE.
    I think you have the right plan. Safe and happy casting!
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

Mom would get a white duct similar to the material carharts are made of to make Dads and my shop aprons once every few years. We didnt have strings on the aprons but used suspenders to clip to them. Kids sized suspenders worked good and were more secure.

I have used leather aprons welding and casting while the cotton apron may not burn it dosnt Insulate keeping the heat from an oopps away like a good leather apron.

Boolit Master
    I set my casting pot on a large cookie sheet. The pot sets as far to one end as I can get it, which allows me to pull the cookie sheet out past the edge of the bench so my legs are actually under the cookie sheet. If a still molten sprue drips off the mold, it lands on the cookie sheet.
    Last edited by Froogal; 01-07-2024 at 05:22 PM.

Without going as far as nomex, you can get a welding blanket from Harbor Freight, which will work quite well as not only an insulator against heat, but also against hot/molten lead in small amounts. Using a coupon, it can lower the cost. It can be cut up(if desired) to fashion into an apron, but they require heavy machines to sew(and a quality pair of scissors), and your clackerbox plastic home sewing machine won't make a pretty stitch. The other option us casters can use is leather cuff welding sleeves, if you overheat in a jacket or heavy cotton shirt. I like the thin, leather sleeves when tig welding, and have also added a thin leather gaiter on the bottom of my welding hood which helps protect my neck from UV exposure, but can also be exchanged for a longer gaiter which I used to use for welding overhead, where hot welding bb's of splatter or sparks could rain down into your shirt. Not fun.

-Dan

https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Weldi...1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LeatherSleeves.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	321816

...protective sheets to spread over ironing tables. They are lightweight and often available in home improvement stores. I've always wondered if it could work as an light apron fabric, maybe even doubled,...
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Grand Master

LOL! You guys are some of the most frugal on the planet. Fashion an apron from this or that, find straps and buckles and you save what? $10 over the carried to your door leather?

Man, I hope I never get that close to the bone.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post

when I searched for that all I got was used watches
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast