RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: 45acp question

Boolit Mold

45acp question

I am loading these SNS 200gr RN for my competition S&W 625, just wondering if I am ok at this length. They do work great.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SNS1.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	168.3 KB 
ID:	321745

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SNS2.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	207.5 KB 
ID:	321746

Boolit Master

Your revolver will tell if it's right. The gospel is 1.25 max for 1911s. Revolvers may be different.

Boolit Buddy

Length to me doesn't matter. I wonder if the shoulder on the bullet will hangup on the cylinder when using moon clips GW

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by G W Wade View Post
    Length to me doesn't matter. I wonder if the shoulder on the bullet will hangup on the cylinder when using moon clips GW
    That would be my concern. Can a efficient and speedy reload be performed.

They should work fine except it doesn’t show much if any crimp. Crimp is important to create the pressure needed plus in a revolver it keeps the other bullets from moving forward during recoil. They would probably not work in an automatic as there is too much shoulder showing and it would be engaging into the rifling.

Boolit Grand Master

The boolit looks like it will be an accurate one . The front driving band ceners the round in the chamber and at times helps accuracy .
    Just give the reloading with moon clips a good workout and see if that exposed driving band hits any snags ... it may not !
    If that boolit does like to hang up try one of the Truncated Cone designs ...
    like the Lee 452-230-TC , these are "slick sided " with nothing to hang up on .

I have a Taurus 455 , 45 acp revolver and with full moon clips the Truncated Cone boolit designs feed well .
    I also have the NOE #453-223-TC that is a slick feeder...get it with hollow point pins and it's a very versatile boolit ... I love it with a big penta point HP cast in it !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

just wondering if I am ok at this length?
    I don't understand the question?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Should be fine.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Mold
    I was wondering if that design bullet was ok to load at that length or if it had to be loaded deeper to the top (rim)?
    It works great as it is in my revolver and I am shooting a match tonight.
    I loaded some yesterday and did go with a shorter OAL, those also drop into my revolver great.
    I will try and chrono them next week. I am attempting to get a nice soft load for ICORE and these SNS bullets are long so seating them with an OAL of 1.25 takes up a lot of space in the case which increases pressure. I learned that even though the min. PF for ICORE is 120, it is virtually impossible to get below 140 without unburnt powder.

Boolit Master
    If it doesn't stick out the front of the cylinder it is not too long. The OAL measurement is meant for 1911 and similar autos.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSoprano View Post
    SNIP>>>

I learned that even though the min. PF for ICORE is 120, it is virtually impossible to get below 140 without unburnt powder.
    I'd use Red Dot or Promo.
    You can seat as long as the gun's chambers will allow.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSoprano View Post
    I was wondering if that design bullet was ok to load at that length or if it had to be loaded deeper to the top (rim)?
    It works great as it is in my revolver and I am shooting a match tonight.
    I loaded some yesterday and did go with a shorter OAL, those also drop into my revolver great.
    I will try and chrono them next week. I am attempting to get a nice soft load for ICORE and these SNS bullets are long so seating them with an OAL of 1.25 takes up a lot of space in the case which increases pressure. I learned that even though the min. PF for ICORE is 120, it is virtually impossible to get below 140 without unburnt powder.
    My "rule of thumb" is, all else being equal, it is "safe" to seat a bullet a smidgen less than loading manual indicates. HOWEVER, seating same bullet a smidgen DEEPER than specified exponentially increases pressure! As yours is the former, as long as the cylinder turns, you should be OK!~
    geo

Boolit Master
    Seating deeper will help you get to a reduced load with a cleaner burn. On the other hand, if you’re using a fast powder to get a reduced load then seating deeper than the load manual says could cause the pressure to go far above expectations.
    What load data source & powder are you using?