WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: 311284 flat point

Boolit Man

311284 flat point

Been playing around with a 311284 single cavity HP mould that was modified in the past(not a factory HP mould). Bored out the HP pin bore to .260 dia and made a flat point pin. The bullet cast is 214 gr -w- GC, have shot a few in my NEF 30/30. Seem to be stable at 50 yds. I intend to work up a load for a new to me Rem pump rifle -w- an 18 inch 10 inch twist 308 barrel. Use will be 100 yard or less shots shots on feral pigs. Is 2000 FPS possible with this bullet in my barrel? Bullet is 1.10 inches long, .311 dia., 214 grains -w- the gas check, .260 dia. flat point. Want the tissue destruction of the flat point, but need the penetration for corner to corner shots on big pigs.

Boolit Grand Master

The weak point on a 311284 for higher velocity is the scraper groove. If the bore ride portion of the nose is a tight slip fit in the bore 2000 fps is entirely possible out of your 18" barrel. I'd use slower burning extruded powders such as 4350, RL19 and H4831SC.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    The weak point on a 311284 for higher velocity is the scraper groove. If the bore ride portion of the nose is a tight slip fit in the bore 2000 fps is entirely possible out of your 18" barrel. I'd use slower burning extruded powders such as 4350, RL19 and H4831SC.
    Thank you Larry - my bullet will push in with finger pressure and has no wiggle room, the lands do not engrave the bullet- but they do make marks on the nose. I will try your suggested powders. We are having pig problems in our hunting club and need to thin the herd. I live on the gulf coast of Florida and a long shot in the hammocks is 100yds.

Boolit Grand Master

At 1880 - 2000 fps they should do the trick. Good hunting.....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Man
    Thanks again Larry, count is up to 30 pigs at this point.Ended up using 2400, with my cast bullet, 1700 fps, 1 inch at 50 yds. Have not stopped a bullet yet, even with Texas heart shots. Most shots at 50 to 65 long paces, estimates on weight 60 to 200+ pounds and no lost pigs. Kept the small ones for eating, big smelly ones get the backhoe treatment. Just added 2 more bait stations with traps, going for 50% reduction by mid summer. We will see how it goes (200+ gone by then). Hunting out of 3 old man stands, enclosed, 15 foot elevation,all the comforts of home.
    Last edited by Earl54; 03-26-2024 at 10:44 AM.

Boolit Master

No need for a backhoe. Drag them off a ways and the other pigs and buzzards will take care of the dead pigs.