Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: San Antonio Restaurants

Boolit Bub

San Antonio Restaurants

Anyone from the area can you recommend some good eateries? I am planning on taking the GF the first week of Feb. and would like to take everyone out for a few nights. Last couple times I was there the daughter weas in the hospital so only ate hospital and fast food while I was there.
    I am planning on traveling to Lockhart to sample their BBQ establishments.

Boolit Master
    There are hundreds of great restaurants in SA and almost no limits to the type and price range. Mexican food has an infinite number of choices.

There are several good spots around the old Pearl brewery and scores more downtown and nearby. My wife likes La Gloria at the Pearl and I like La Fogata, which is north of downtown. However, the sky is the limit, and it would help if you could provide top preferences - e.g., we can eliminate a bunch of places if you don’t want Mexican grub.

Boolit Master

Sea Island shrimp house is one of our favorites. Several locations around town. Pappasito's Cantina for authentic mexican. Pappadeaux for upscale seafood. The King's Buffet for all you can eat Asian that is excellent and reasonable.
    Enjoy your trip!
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master
    Right across from the Alamo, in the 'Crocket Hotel'. Was there this summer and the food was great.

Boolit Master
    If you're going to Lockhart for BBQ, I can recommend Black's. I didn't get a chance to check the other BBQ establishments in that town but I really liked Black's.

Boolit Master

My favorite TexMex place in SA is Mi Tierra Cafe, open 24 hours. Was with an airline layover crew one night about midnight, and a nearby long table was filled with a large family, who all broke out in song at 2400 hours. Really lovely and wonderful chow.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    My favorite TexMex place in SA is Mi Tierra Cafe, open 24 hours. Was with an airline layover crew one night about midnight, and a nearby long table was filled with a large family, who all broke out in song at 2400 hours. Really lovely and wonderful chow.
    Right across the street from that place was La Margarita. Another good Tex-Mex place.

And don’t be afraid of food trucks, either!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The family-owned "hole in the wall" taco joints make the best Mexican food, without exception. There is a small place called Mi Rancho Alegre on Nacogdoches Road, just north of Thousand Oaks, that makes some of the tastiest food I've ever eaten - but they are not open after 2 pm and can only seat about 70 people. You can get breakfast and lunch there but no evening meal - I go there once or twice a week. Many of the smaller molinos have similar hours because all of the family members work there, then go home at night.

Mi Tierra isn't bad but it's a tourist trap - I can think of at least 100 other places I'd rather go or recommend.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    The family-owned "hole in the wall" taco joints make the best Mexican food, without exception. There is a small place called Mi Rancho Alegre on Nacogdoches Road, just north of Thousand Oaks, that makes some of the tastiest food I've ever eaten - but they are not open after 2 pm and can only seat about 70 people. You can get breakfast and lunch there but no evening meal - I go there once or twice a week. Many of the smaller molinos have similar hours because all of the family members work there, then go home at night.

Mi Tierra isn't bad but it's a tourist trap - I can think of at least 100 other places I'd rather go or recommend.
    What about the Alamo cafe on the north side of town. Is it still there. It use to be good. Haven’t been there in years.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by txbirdman View Post
    What about the Alamo cafe on the north side of town. Is it still there. It use to be good. Haven’t been there in years.
    Yes, Alamo Cafe is still on San Pedro and still a great place to eat, plus they are open until 10 pm most nights. Outstanding enchiladas...

Boolit Bub
    Everything sounds great so far. I still have to ask the daughter what she feels like going to. She had transplant surgery in October so she is supposed to be cautious on where she goes and what she eats, but I think she is getting pretty brave now.

There are so many things I would like to try but I am certain we wont have time to fit it all in, LOL. I would like to get her a weber kettle while I am there and cook her some beef ribs. I walked through some grocery stores when I was last there and all I can say is I wish I had the selection of meats and sausages you have down there in my stores.

I highly recommend Metro Basillica Tacos 11070 Shaenfield Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78254. Good stuff!

Boolit Bub
    We will definitely stop by the spot on Nacogdoches Rd as it she lives only a mile or so from there. Hope to hit it for lunch on the trip in on Fri.

Boolit Mold
    As far as Lockhart Bar-B-Q, there are now two different Blacks (original and Terry Blacks), Smitty’s, Riley’s, Kruetz, and Chisholm Trail. I live relatively close to them and my choice is Chisholm Trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Be sure to visit the Alamo before it's over run and torn down.
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Quote Originally Posted by ruger1980 View Post
    Anyone from the area can you recommend some good eateries? I am planning on taking the GF the first week of Feb. and would like to take everyone out for a few nights. Last couple times I was there the daughter weas in the hospital so only ate hospital and fast food while I was there.
    I am planning on traveling to Lockhart to sample their BBQ establishments.
    Black Bear on S.E. Military.

ACC

Boolit Bub
    Trying La Fogata tonight. So far very nice.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ruger1980 View Post
    Trying La Fogata tonight. So far very nice.
    You will like it.

Boolit Bub
    Yes it was excellent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast