WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cheddite primers

Boolit Man
    Tom Roster and many others say they have pressure tested cheddite 209 primers as a direct substitute for Win 209A in many loads with little or no difference in pressure.
    I have been using them this duck season in bismuth heavy magnum handloads as subs for Win 209A and can't tell any difference. They all go bang and the ducks (mostly) fall.

Boolit Buddy
    Some of the major powder houses that provide load data are starting to list Chedditte primers also, a realization that for many these are all that have been available.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Man
    That's why I started using them, Winchester and Federal primers were unobtanium. Cheddites were available and relatively reasonably priced.

Boolit Buddy
    James, I have researched this same question a lot, because I got into trap reloading recently, and Cheddites were the only thing available in any quantity. I've looked all over several different trap forums. Consensus items are (1) they're not as hot as Federal 209As and (2) like grayscale said, they sub well for the Win 209.

As an alternative, Lee's Load-All II, which is what I got started on, comes with a list of loads that have been tested safe for all hull/primer/properly fitting wad combinations. There are columns for paper hulls and for plastic ones, with different data. Apart from that, you use the components available. I've found it useful in my shotgun loading. Might be worth seeing if those are easy to get copies of. I'd be happy to send a scan, PM if interested.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank y'all for the replies. My thought were that Cheddite 209 would sub for Win 209. May drop powder 1-1.5 grns to start.
    Thanks openbook for the offer. I have the Lee data, but hadn't thought to look at it. I have it filed in one of the drawers in the reloading room. Just have to find it.
    Thank y'all
    James

Good thread y'all. I am getting into casting and loading for 12 gauge so am reading everything I can find on the subject.

Google Tom Armbrust primer substitution. He did a velocity and pressure test comparison of various primers using a standard bird shot 12 gauge load. Cheddites show to be quit a big milder than Winchester.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMESGR View Post
    Thank y'all for the replies. My thought were that Cheddite 209 would sub for Win 209. May drop powder 1-1.5 grns to start.
    Thanks openbook for the offer. I have the Lee data, but hadn't thought to look at it. I have it filed in one of the drawers in the reloading room. Just have to find it.
    Thank y'all
    James
    I would go the opposite direction and add powder. Cheddite primers a considerably weaker than Win 209 primers when measured on the briscance scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I've used thousands of Cheddite primers for my skeet loads. I use them with winchester primer data. No problems at all. And only one failure to fire. I've had more with Winchester primers! I can't see any difference in performance.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies, I've been reloading for .38 spl and .357's for several days and not shotguns, but will try the Chedites soon. Feeding a couple of S&W 38's and .357's plus a couple of Henry .357 mag rifles. Those sure seem to eat a lot.
    Thank you
    James

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12