Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cheddite primers

Boolit Buddy

cheddite primers

I was gifted a brick of Cheddite 209 primers and don't have any cheddite hulls. I have a lot of other hulls. None of the load data I have uses Cheddite primers. Can the Cheddite primers be subed for other primers??
    Thanks
    James
    JAMESGR

Boolit Buddy
    Use a lot of them in trap, hunting, and 410 loads They all go bang.

Boolit Master

Yes. The Hodgdon reloading site show loads with cheddite primers now.
    https://hodgdonreloading.com/
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgr View Post
    i was gifted a brick of cheddite 209 primers and don't have any cheddite hulls. I have a lot of other hulls. None of the load data i have uses cheddite primers. Can the cheddite primers be subed for other primers??
    Thanks
    james
    jamesgr
    yes

Boolit Master

Gee hope so I have used about 1000 or so in all kinds of different hulls.

Boolit Buddy

They are one of the fatter primers... Great in used hulls Might not be able to use other primers after using them Have had some difficulty seating them in Rem STS Work great, No hesitation buying GW

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JAMESGR View Post
    I was gifted a brick of Cheddite 209 primers and don't have any cheddite hulls. I have a lot of other hulls. None of the load data I have uses Cheddite primers. Can the Cheddite primers be subed for other primers??
    Thanks
    James
    JAMESGR
    I am neither a scattergun shooter nor reloader; however, I get in periods where I shoot lots of wax (.357 and mostly .45 Colt) WAX bullets at camp. These use zero powder, and are propelled solely by a 209 primer. (The flash hole in brass is drilled out a tad, too). Anyhoos -- the Cheddite #209 is pretty much the primer of choice! When activated, they stay flat; some other will bell up making revolver cylinder tough (to say the least) to turn. I'd not hesitate i micro-second in using Cheddite 209s!
    geo

Boolit Master
    Claybuster wads that have load data in the bag,show plenty of loads with Cheddite primers.that was in the 3/4 oz wads.
    Last edited by jim 44-40; 01-02-2024 at 04:39 PM.

I'm going to learn, just bought 2 cases of Cheddite primers. The 300 that I experimented with work just like Winchester 209, just a little fatter. Ballistically could tell the difference.

Shot a 43 on sporting clays, followed with a 39(close to my average).

With 10,000, I hope they work!

Boolit Master

I have used a couple of thousand in Remington Gun clubs hulls, the only thing that does not like them is the Clays.

Quote Originally Posted by G W Wade View Post
    They are one of the fatter primers... Great in used hulls Might not be able to use other primers after using them Have had some difficulty seating them in Rem STS Work great, No hesitation buying GW
    If you use the Universal Primer Tool from BP you can get the hulls back to use the regular 209 primers .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies. I wish there was published data for Brenneke hulls. I have a double handful that I've saved and the Cheddite primers should fit right in them. I may dedicate a hundred or so of Federal 12 and 20 ga hulls to use with the Cheddite primers. The universal primer tool sounds interesting and may be worth an investment.
    James

I have used Cheddite primers for several years. They are my go-to primers for 410 and 12 gauge and I can’t remember 1 issue that I’ve had with them.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master

I have used up many thousands of Cheddites over the past few years with no real problems. However a substantial number of Browning Citori O/U's have a tendency to pierce Cheddites in the lower barrel. This over time gas cuts the firing pin nose till it eventually fails. This is not a big deal as the firing pins from Browning are about 5 bucks and are easily changed. It is an excellent primer and the only one available for a while over the past couple years. A lot of serious shotshell shooters won't be going back to Remington and Winchester unless their prices come down.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMESGR View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I wish there was published data for Brenneke hulls. I have a double handful that I've saved and the Cheddite primers should fit right in them. I may dedicate a hundred or so of Federal 12 and 20 ga hulls to use with the Cheddite primers. The universal primer tool sounds interesting and may be worth an investment.
    James
    The "Brenneke hulls" are more than likely Cheddite hulls.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for the replies. I will try the Cheddite primers in the Brenneke hulls using Cheddite data. I hope these work out ok.
    James
    JAMESGR

I have 6 boxes of these and have used 4000 plus and never a miss-fire . I load them in many different types of cheap hulls I use for 3 gun shoots where I can't pick them up. Last Sunday I managed to pick up a bunch at a shoot and they were lots of hulls I'd never heard of. Any of them that had 8 point crimps loaded exactly like Win Universals and the crimps closed perfectly . There was also a box of Remington Gun Clubs which load exactly like Win Universals. Same components, same load. IE: Low Ppressure Trap and Skeet Loads.

There was also a bunch of Winchester 2 3/4"Low Recoil Buckshot and Super X hulls that had 6 point crimps. I had to add a thin Over Shot Card to get the Stack Height up a smidge for the crimps to lay flat, but everything else was the same as the other hulls.

I used Cheddite Primers on all of these and have been running them in all my Win AA 12 ga. and .410 Trap and Skeet Reloads for the last 3 years. NOT ONE FTF EVER!

Plus that,,, I haven't seen any other brand of shotgun primers for sale anywhere.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master
    I used several thousand of them for trap loads. I had no problems with them. One my buddies was always trying to reload at the lowest cost and he talked me into trying them. He loved them. In my case, even though they worked, the savings were not significant ($5/k IIRC), so I stayed with Winchesters. But that was 20 years ago./

I would buy a couple of trays from a buddy before stocking up on them. Today, it may be difficult to be too picky...if they work.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for the replies. Since I have a brick of Chiddite primers I sure want to use them.
    Vann's Sporting Goods in Cullman,Al. has some shotgun primers. NO Win 209's though I haven't see these in a loooong time.
    Thank you
    James

Boolit Buddy
    I've used many, many Chedditte 209's as direct substitutes for other 209's. The Trapshooters forum has published, tested load data from many users who submitted to verified test labs that use Cheddittes. A very good primer, and I still have many k's of them to use.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast