Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can't Find an Answer to Lee 9mm Mold

Boolit Mold

Can't Find an Answer to Lee 9mm Mold

I'm sure the answer to my basic question is buried in a thread somewhere but the search engine for the site doesn't return anything. I guess there's an issue with the site? So I apologize if this has been asked before.

Need advice on a 9mm Lee mold. I'm just getting into casting; been reloading for 6 years. My 9mm carbine shoots fine using Berry's 9mm 124 gr bullets with diameter of .356.

From reading Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook and 51st Reloading manual, it's recommended to cast a bullet .001-.002 over groove diameter. Lee only offers 9mm molds with a .356 diameter. Here's my question, do you know if Lee 9mm molds cast oversize? If so, by how much?

As cast bullet diameter 9mm.

Mine is oversize by .002" BUT the alloy used changes the as cast diameter. Antimony making bigger bullets. https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...9mm-luger.317/

From Lee's link.
    Our bullet mold tolerance is stated diameter, +.003/-.000 inch
    Always check finished sized bullet diameter. Harder alloys spring back after sizing, by as much as .002" (linotype)
    Last edited by 243winxb; 12-31-2023 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Add lee info

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    Mine is oversize by .002" BUT the alloy used changes the as cast diameter. Antimony making bigger bullets. https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...9mm-luger.317/

From Lee's link.

Always check finished sized bullet diameter. Harder alloys spring back after sizing, by as much as .002" (linotype)
    Thank you 243winxb! I'll also check out the link. Appreciate your help. Happy New Year to you!

Moderator Emeritus

mgunner,
    welcome to the forum.
    Honestly, it's a coin toss with Lee molds.
    I have a story, that will probably not help you, but it's a fun little story. Years ago, I had a older Lee 2 cav 356-120-TC that I liked so much (it dropped .358 bullets), that I bought a new 6 cav of the same mold. The new 6 cav mold dropped .3555" bullets, I wasn't happy, as my guns prefer .357" for size. A month later, I ordered another new 6 cav mold, because I am just that way, and Lee molds are cheap. Guess what, that one dropped .360" bullets.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I have several 9mm/357 molds. I do not distinguish between them and rely on my sizers to determine what diameter they end up at. Powder coating is another variable I use when trying for a certain diameter. I have a 995 Highpoint that will digest anything up to .360 but will keyhole .356 boolits. I had a taurus G2c that needed .356 and would choke on anything bigger. So my approach was to get different molds and try them out. Somewhere between the variation in bore sizes and variations in molds there is a good fit given that you have the proper sizing die. It will take you some trial and error to discover what is workable.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    mgunner,
    welcome to the forum.
    Honestly, it's a coin toss with Lee molds.
    I have a story, that will probably not help you, but it's a fun little story. Years ago, I had a older Lee 2 cav 356-120-TC that I liked so much (it dropped .358 bullets), that I bought a new 6 cav of the same mold. The new 6 cav mold dropped .3555" bullets, I wasn't happy, as my guns prefer .357" for size. A month later, I ordered another new 6 cav mold, because I am just that way, and Lee molds are cheap. Guess what, that one dropped .360" bullets.
    Damn, I hope that doesn't happen. The molds are about $50.00 which I know cost less than other brands, but buying something for $50.00 and not being able to use it would be a waste.

Here's another question. Could I use a bullet of a different caliber for my 9mm as long as it's the same weight called for in 9mm reloading data? For example, if I used a mold for a 357 mag that dropped .358 diameter bullets, but weighed 124 grains ( which is a weight shown in the reloading data in my reloading manuals for 9mm), could I just size that .358 diameter bullet down to .357 diameter? Or would I have to seat that 357 mag bullet deeper which would increase the pressure?

Moderator Emeritus

frKelly, reminds me of a Browning Hi Power I had possession of for a while, that thing wouldn't chamber anything larger than .356
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by mgunner View Post
    SNIP>>>

Here's another question. Could I use a bullet of a different caliber for my 9mm as long as it's the same weight called for in 9mm reloading data? For example, if I used a mold for a 357 mag that dropped .358 diameter bullets, but weighed 124 grains ( which is a weight shown in the reloading data in my reloading manuals for 9mm
    Yes, many of us do it all the time. The Lee 358-125-RF does great in 9mm

would I have to seat that 357 mag bullet deeper which would increase the pressure?
    Maybe have to seat deeper, that is always a consideration when using a different boolit of similar weight of published data...that is something we all run into with castboolits. You just have to take that into consideration when working up a load. Measure case capacity with both boolits, and if there is a measurable reduction in space, then reduce your starting load, and then work up as usual.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Yes, many of us do it all the time. The Lee 358-125-RF does great in 9mm

Maybe have to seat deeper, that is always a consideration when using a different boolit of similar weight of published data...that is something we all run into with castboolits. You just have to take that into consideration when working up a load. Measure case capacity with both boolits, and if there is a measurable reduction in space, then reduce your starting load, and then work up as usual.
    Hmmm, Ok this is something to consider. Thank you for your help. Hope you have a Happy New Year!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    I have several 9mm/357 molds. I do not distinguish between them and rely on my sizers to determine what diameter they end up at. Powder coating is another variable I use when trying for a certain diameter. I have a 995 Highpoint that will digest anything up to .360 but will keyhole .356 boolits. I had a taurus G2c that needed .356 and would choke on anything bigger. So my approach was to get different molds and try them out. Somewhere between the variation in bore sizes and variations in molds there is a good fit given that you have the proper sizing die. It will take you some trial and error to discover what is workable.
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. I was wondering if I could substitute a different caliber mold as long as it drops a bullet weight listed for 9mm reloading data. It's something I'll consider. Have a happy new year.

Boolit Buddy
    Mine drops large enough to be lightly sized by a .358 sizer.

Lee only offers 9mm molds with a .356 diameter....
    If you (the OP) are going to Powder Coat -- no issue one way or the other,
    Size the end/PC'd product to .357

Boolit Master

Hmmm, Ok this is something to consider. Thank you for your help. Hope you have a Happy New Year!
    I've been using the Lee 358-125-RF in my 9,s for a long time without a problem.
    Get the 6 cavity. You can make a lot of bullets in short order.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    If you (the OP) are going to Powder Coat -- no issue one way or the other,
    Size the end/PC'd product to .357
    Since this will be the first time casting, I wanted to keep it simple so I'm going to use liquid alox. Once I get the hang of casting, I'll look into powder coating.

Go ahead and make the bet that the mold will cast at/over spec then.
    $39 on the Pass line....

I've been using the Lee 6 cavity 124gr 2R tumble lube mold for 25-30 years along with liquid alox. Initially the first year I ran them through a Lee sizer but quickly found it wasn't needed and have been shooting them as cast ever since.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
    I've been using the Lee 358-125-RF in my 9,s for a long time without a problem.
    Get the 6 cavity. You can make a lot of bullets in short order.
    I agree, I've been looking at the 6 cavity molds.

Since this will be the first time casting....
    I'd recommend the ($39) 2-cavity and make your bones w/ as simple/straightforward a set-up as possible.
    After that learning curve, door's open....

Concur with shoot as-is for starters/decent-not-overly-flared case mouth.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks to all of you for taking the time to post here. Your experience has been very helpful. I'm surprised that I received one response let alone so many responses on New Years Eve. So thank you so much for your help.

I've been reading everything posted in this thread, going through my manuals, and I also have some information from Lee Precision. According to them, their molds cast bullets that are .003/.000 inches over the stated size. They say that they usually drop toward the higher side of the range.

Taking all the information I have into consideration, I'm going to go with a Lee 6 Cavity 9mm mold. I'll also order a bullet sizing die for .356. My hope is that the mold will cast a little oversized. Then I'll experiment. I'll shoot some cast bullets that are unsized, and some that have been run through the bullet sizing die to see what works best.

Hope you all have a Happy New Year!
    Last edited by mgunner; 12-31-2023 at 09:57 PM.

I'll also order a bullet sizing die for .356.
    Strongly recommend the OP order the Lee 0.357 sizer, and load/shoot that for 9mm cast.
    Last edited by mehavey; 12-31-2023 at 10:09 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast