Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: cleaning up after homemade caps

cleaning up after homemade caps

After shooting my '51 some this afternoon I started trying different things to remove that corrosive red cap fouling. It's not water soluble so the usual cleaning procedure doesn't work. I tried Hoppes, Shooter's choice, kroil, wd-40, brake cleaner, and others and finally decided Bore Tech Eliminator worked the best. But it still takes some scrubbing and I don't fully trust it. I assume the old GI bore cleaner would probably be the best since that's what it's made for but I don't have any. So, what do the rest of you use for cleaning that mess off? Anybody find the magic bullet yet?

I fully disassemble and fill a Tupperware full of water and submerge all parts of the pistol. Scrub and clean as normal. I’m using the 22 reloader compound entirely with the addition of duco cement. I’ve yet to have an issue getting them clean.

Boolit Master
    I too just clean as normal.
    I just use a tooth brush to clean the parts like nipples so I get way down in the cracks or low spots.
    I have not had any Rust Issues.
    But then again.
    I clean my guns soon after shooting , and Arizona isn't very Humid.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    After shooting my '51 some this afternoon I started trying different things to remove that corrosive red cap fouling. It's not water soluble so the usual cleaning procedure doesn't work. I tried Hoppes, Shooter's choice, kroil, wd-40, brake cleaner, and others and finally decided Bore Tech Eliminator worked the best. But it still takes some scrubbing and I don't fully trust it. I assume the old GI bore cleaner would probably be the best since that's what it's made for but I don't have any. So, what do the rest of you use for cleaning that mess off? Anybody find the magic bullet yet?
    Pretty sure the cap formula is water soluble. What makes you think that is is not?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    I have a can GI bore cleaner,man it sure does stink.Will try it , because using old Dixie Gun Works percussion caps which leave a rusty looking residue.

Boolit Master

I just use my normal BP cleaning routine and don't really seem to be having anymore trouble than usual getting either my rifle or revolvers clean. I do use a brush on any crevices that it will reach. Soap and water and small brush for my cylinder and nipples and they come clean.

I completely disassemble all my guns for cleaning. But, always have.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Pretty sure the cap formula is water soluble. What makes you think that is is not?
    Because after soaking the cylinder, nipples, frame, etc in water and scrubbing with a toothbrush the red fouling is still there. Getting the hand slot in the frame clean is a particular challenge.

But it sounds like everyone is doing just fine with normal cleaning techniques so I think I will not worry about it too much and proceed as normal. Thanks for the input!