WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows-replacement

Boolit Master

Windows-replacement

We need to replace several windows, house built in 1975. The builder used Anderson windows as they were one of the best. I have not started looking hard yet. The two big box stores near carry Pella as their high cost window. I live in the Indy Airport flight path so want windows that help with the noise. Would you look at the type of window used in Florida, hard to break, for hurricane proof?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
    We need to replace several windows, house built in 1975. The builder used Anderson windows as they were one of the best. I have not started looking hard yet. The two big box stores near carry Pella as their high cost window. I live in the Indy Airport flight path so want windows that help with the noise. Would you look at the type of window used in Florida, hard to break, for hurricane proof?

Not too many years ago we replaced ALL of the windows in out house with Anderson windows. Hired a professional to do it because even though I know how, I just can't do such things anymore. We are very happy with the Anderson's. Nice and tight, no more drafts, and they made a HUGE difference in noise.

We considered Pella, but Pella wants the installer to be trained by Pella before he could even buy them.

Around here also, Anderson is the 900 pound gorilla for doing replacement windows.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
    We're about two hours north of you...
    Dang if I remember who made our replacement windows.

But consider keeping the old ones for a green house.

I also looked into getting new windows. I tend to monitor services that I pay for so I try to understand the best practices. I found the following video helpful and I hope it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWWAwSiDBrE
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master

Ran my own renovation/restoration business for almost 25 years. IHMO, in terms of product quality, there's not much to choose from between Anderson and Pella. On the other hand, I couldn't buy into the "Pella-trained installers" thing. I had guys on my crew who had been replacing windows, doors, etc. for 10-12 years (or more) but, according to the local Pella outlet, they weren't good enough to hang Pella products so I would have had to sub the labor out to one of Pella's "approved" contractors at additional cost to the client. Went with Anderson or Marvin unless the customer specified something else.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Moderator Emeritus

Anderson triple pane...

Anderson windows are very good but I think over priced. I use and install a lot of the Millguard Ultra series windows and sliders.They are a very high quality product.

Boolit Master

why are you replacing them? just curious

Boolit Master

Marvin windows are better than both according to a contractor we used to service. This guy is one of the premier builders in our area. Pella would be my choice over Anderson especially if you buy a casement. Which I would for noise reduction as they seal up much tighter than a double hung. Essential Kenny said you get what you pay for and the Marvin’s are heavier for a reason and carry the heavier price tag.

BTW I have Anderson windows in my home and they have been just fine but at 15 years old are showing some signs of age.

Check the Anderson warranty. We replaced with Anderson because the wife wanted sliders instead of the Pella casements. Ours cut the sound by 95% from the old builder aluminum.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master
    Money well spent. A LOT of money, but the basement isn't near as old in the Upper Midwest winter.
    Tax guy said we can we can get a refund from the state.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    In Florida we had a bunch of designers go to Anderson, and Pella windows back in the 90s, they didn't last anytime here in the humidity. They were all frames made out of wood back then and rotted out in short order. Impact windows are OK for impact but will still break in a hurricane and need to be replaced, the only thing i see them being good for is someone to lazy or to crippled to put up shutters when a hurricane comes. If you live where the wood frames won't be a problem or have a porch all the way around the house OK but see if they make vinal or aluminum frames.

Boolit Master

We had a home up north that was built with Anderson windows. The bottom rails / lower sash on several windows rotted after ten years. To be fair the first owner would leave for the winter, maybe the lower window parts were buried in snow while they were out of town.
    I don’t believe impact windows as all that good at sound deadening. Interestingly, impact glass is warranted but often for only ten years.

Boolit Buddy

Windows-replacement

I am a glazier by trade. Mostly specializing in historic buildings around New England. However hurricane proof is mostly just marketing.

Is your goal just mainly sound proofing? Get 1/4 inch or laminate inserts from here. Easy DIY install in less then 10 minutes per window

https://stormwindows.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by johnsonian09; 12-31-2023 at 01:22 AM.

Boolit Master

If your Andersen frames are not rotted Andersen has replacements that fit into the old frames. I had Andersen Narolines from the 60's and the frames were good so replaced them with the inserts back when Obama had the tax break deal. You might want to check into that.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    They are crank double paine windows and starting to frost between paines.

Boolit Master

I do not know who made the windows in this house that was built in 1990 but the bottom wood in three of them rotted out about 2008 . I routed and replaced the bottom board using treated wood . When comparing good and bad windows I found the problem was the way the outside Aluminum trim was installed . The trim is four parts upper sides and lower the trim on the sides of the bad windows was run under the lower trim and all of the still good windows had the side trim over the lower trim , so it did not let water leak under the lower trim .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

I've had good luck with Anderson.

Boolit Grand Master

I designed residential and prepared construction plans (blue prints) for 47 years .
    For sound and thermal insulation take a look at Marvin Triple Pane windows .
    Get them with 3 Low-E glass panes and 2 insulated spaces between the glass .
    It doesn't get any better sound insulated and not bad for thermal insulation .
    Marvin windows are a good window but not as costly as Anderson and Pella .

We did plans for a Lawyer's home built next to a busy Interstate ... traffic noise was horrid . Insulated the walls with sprayed-in cellulose fiber insulation and triple insulated Marvin windows ... you could stand at window , on 2nd floor , and see traffic whizzing by ... but you could hear nothing ... the Lawyer was amazed and impressed by the lack of noise .
    Watch out for wood windows ... all of them even Anderson have a rot problem , sooner or later !
    Think clad or composite frames for long life .
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 01-04-2024 at 05:39 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast