Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: 35-303 dies and load data?

Boolit Buddy

35-303 dies and load data?

Looking at the 35-303 cartridge, basically just a 303 necked up to a 35 cal.

Would a 35 whelen neck sizer work for initially expanding the necks and then sizing duty?

Any sources for load data?

Thanks, Matt.

Boolit Master
    Chamber it using a .35 Rem reamer and a .35 neck reamer and .35 throater, use .35 Rem dies.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the reply.

Rifle is an old Enfield already chambered in 303, it's just getting rebored to 35.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    .35 Remington load data is a safe guide. With bullets heavier than 200 grains use the START load data for .358 Winchester.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

You don't say which old Enfield is getting re-bored. I had a P-14 re-bored and rechambered by JES to .35 Winchester (35 WCF) a few years ago. .303, .30-40 and .35 Winchester case dimensions are close. You may want to consult old Lyman/Ideal .35WCF data as a start/reference point for load data by reducing 20% and then working up. By the way, .30-40 fireformed brass works great in a .35WCF for 100% loads except for a short neck.

Boolit Buddy
    Rifle is marked 1944 so thinking it's a No4 Mk1. It has been sporterized and seems functional but a little.rough.

Have never owned an Enfield before so picked it up as a project. We aren't allowed to hunt with a .30 here but .35s are ok so figured with everything else in the mix a rebore would clean up the barrel and be a fun wildcat to work with.

Have read about people using everything from 357 mag, 358win, 350Rem etc dies to open up the case neck, not as much re a seater.

Thanks, Matt.

OK; I've actually done this. Your Load Data should start with 35 Rem Data with 200gr boolits, and work up to the "low side" of .358 Win for Jacketed. Or if you can find it in an older Lyman Manual use data for .35 Winchester which is nearly identical to the .35 .303 cal. It was only chambered in the Winchester 1895 and strength is very similar to the #4 Mk1 action. All of this was talked about over at www enfield-rifles.com.

Can't Hunt with a .30? Where exactly are you?

I use .358 dies and neck size only after opening the cases up to .35 cal. with the .358 sizing die. Boolits are seated with the .358 Win Seating Die.

If your rifle was marked 1944 it is a #4 Mk1 .

My gun was a #4 Mk1* Made in Canada in 1943 then Sporterized by Parker Hale as a "Deluxe Sporter" ($75) which meant that the barrel was chopped off to 22" to get rid of the over cleaned muzzle. Also a modified stock and a Santa Fe 5 Round Magazine. I had it bored out to .35-303 by JES Reboring.

I got a Lee .35-200GC mould initially but they haven't fed too well, So I had Accurate make me a mould that is 250 gr. with Gas Check. The longer nose seems to Feed from the magazine better. Also the Jacketed bullet 225 Sierra Game Kings feed well, But they are strictly for hunting as I can't afford to plink with them at .50 each.

And I see after writing all of this that you found the Thread over at www.enfield-rifles.com. So everything is there, including enough load data to get you started. I haven't been able to shoot mine yet because my range has been closed since Jan 10th of 2023, Will be shooting it soon and will be actually loading Cartridges tomorrow.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2350.jpg   IMG_2368.jpg   IMG_2359.jpg   IMG_2342.jpg   IMG_2340.jpg  

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-31-2023 at 08:50 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Hi and thanks for the good info! Sounds like I'm working on a very similar project.

I'm in Iowa, most all straightwalls and bottlenecks over .35 are allowed now.

Rifle is currently at a local smith to break the barrel free, spoke with JES and they are onboard to rebore but want the barrel loose first.

While I wait for that to be done, and then wait for JES to do the rebore I'm working on getting set up to form cases.

Look forward to a range report!

Boolit Man
    I have a Martini Enfield rebored to 303/35,with 1-16” twist.With 200 grain RCBS gas check bullet,37 grains of ADI 2207 powder (H4198) it shoots well.
    Also tried a CBE 300 grain gas checked bullet with 43 and 44 grains of ADI 2209 (H4350),but it was a lot of trouble to get the bullet to fit so that it would chamber,then it wasn’t stable in the 16” twist.
    The 358 Winchester dies would work as neck size dies and seating dies,my 308 Winchester Full Length die is perfect used for neck sizing 303 British cases.
    Good luck with the project.In my opinion a cast gas check bullet,200 to 250 grains would be all you need.

Yeah, when I did mine he didn't require just the barrel, I sent the barreled action to him. Just make sure your Gun Smith puts an index mark on the barrel and action so it can be turned back in to the same place.

All you have to do to form cases is run them into the .358 sizing die so the spud in the die opens the case mouth up to .35 Cal. Just make sure to use plenty of lube on the neck of the case and it goes pretty smoothly. The Shoulder of the case will be whatever it is unto you fire form it. The case headspaces on the rim so whatever the case looks like before fire forming is immaterial, but if you don't lube the case necks enough it will buckle the cases when you try to form them.

When you go to reload the Fire Formed Cases make sure to run the Neck Sizing/Depriming Spud out far enough so the shoulder of the case doesn't get set back or reformed by the die.

NECK SIZE ONLY or case life will be 1-2 reloads before they separate.. Same with All the Rimmed Bottleneck Cartridges from that 1890's Era.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Moderator Emeritus

P O Ackleys load books had data for all the Elwood Eps wildcats based on the 303 British.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    W.R.Buchanan,
    Were you able to get out and do any shooting?

Boolit Buddy
    Well the project is inching along- have picked up some bullets, a few odds and ends for case forming/trimming and even managed to snag a couple pounds of Varget the other day.

Then today the heavens opened and I came across 8lbs of Unique! Am planning to run 200gr+/- cast loads and hope this will fit the bill.

Mattri: I got the .35 cal. 200 gr Lee Mould, cast up a bunch of them only to find out that they wouldn't feed right. The cartridges end up too short and the Front Feed Lip on the magazine releases the boolit too soon and it doesn't find it's way into the chamber. It ends up just about flipping it out of the gun. IE: it ends up sideways and doesn't go in the hole.

I got a 250 gr mould made from Accurate and those boolits are long enough to prevent this problem. Not a problem with longer Jacketed bullets, they seem to feed just fine, but they are shaped more like a .303 cartridge. The 200 gr boolit is about 3/16" shorter than the 250 gr boolit. Pic shows the 200 gr boolit next to a Speer 225 gr Game King. You can still single load the 200 gr loads but they probably won't feed reliably off the magazine.

I might finally get to shoot My gun for the first time later this week??? Will report back.

SHOT Show next week.!!!

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2350.jpg   IMG_2354.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Looks good W.R, thanks for the update. Hopefully you get to shoot soon!

Plan to work up a baseline load with Jwords to get started, then move on to experimenting with cast. Can certainly see how feeding can become an issue, single feed isn't off the table for now- have to see how it shakes out.

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like CH Tools lists a 35-03 die set in their catalog, have an email in re price and lead time.