RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Lee TL 356-95 RF?

Boolit Master

The Lee TL 356-95 RF?

Anyone fool with this one in .380? What are your thoughts for accuracy, punch, feeding, etc. ?

I was successful in loading these and shooting them.
    Cartridge: 380 Automatic
    Manufacturer: HODGDON Powder: TITEGROUP
    Size: 0.356 Type: TL356-95-RF Weight: 095
    BHN / PSI: 20.1 25710
    Charge: 2.7
    C.O.L.: 0.97 Trim: 0.68
    Case: Range Primer: CCI:500 Qty: 50
    Date: 2021/01/01
    Comments: Lee Load Data Lead Liquid Alox Coated.
    Burn-Rate: 15 Shell Holder: 4

Fed and shot good. Watch the crimp and don't overdo it on this small a caliber..

Boolit Master

It's the Ranch Dog, and it has a lot of fans.

Same bullet: NOE TL-358-100-RF (I run that one)

Same bullet in a made-to-order, custom-tweakable format: Accurate 35-098R

Got a buddy who runs the Lee in a Ruger LCP and has confirmed it's effectiveness on possum. Ranch Dog traditionally tested them out on trapped feral hogs to good effect.

I've found it to feed in old Colts, old FN's, an Interarms era Walther, and the Glock 42. It's a very similar nose profile to Winchester's Q4206 flat-nosed FMJ.

Try it, you'll like it.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Mold

Cool

Just got mine Wednesday and will try them out today Saturday. I only have Accurate #5 on hand which is what I use on a multitude of styled plated bullets at 4.6gr, I started with 4.2grs on these lead loads since there is simply no data with Accurate #5 and lead.
    I'll let you know later how it went and if I blow things up.

Boolit Master
    Thanks fellas. Debating on whether to fool with a real pocket gun -- an 11-ounce LCP Max -- and of course prefer handloads and cast boolits. Would powder coat.

Boolit Master

Feeds fine in my G42 & Ruger LCP. I tried a few powders before settling on Power Pistol. I can get 1000 in G42 and mid 900's in the LCP.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Bub
    i Have cast a few of these so far, they seem to run fine, accuracy is good out of the micros i've tried them in.
    i went back to plated for a while due to good prices on bulk right now. il cast more some day soon.
    have also used in 9mm loads.

Boolit Grand Master
    I got one of the Ranch Dog originals and I have used it for the last 10 years. Although I am not a big fan of Lee Molds, I am of this boolit. It works extremely well. 3.2 Grains of 231 loaded to an OAL of ~.950-.960 (your gun will tell you where to go) is a very useful load.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I have the Ranch Dog version and it feeds fine in my P3AT KelTec, have put a couple thousand through it. Loaded it in my K38 and it is a very accurate bullet. Excellent design!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My Kimber doesn't like to hand cycle them. So far, it feeds them when firing just fine but I'd rather stick with a boolit that I know works 100% like the 356-102-2R. The Glock 42 eats anything and everything, it's normal diet is a 100 grain plated flat point over a Makarov level charge.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

It was a Ranch Dog design. I shoot it a lot in .380 ACP. I don't size them, and lube them only with Johnson's paste wax. They work great in three pistols I have and a friend shoots them in his Colt 1908. Never had a single failure to feed. They are as accurate as anything I've fired in my pistols.
    Last edited by Rattlesnake Charlie; 01-01-2024 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Add info about feeding.

Boolit Master
    Ordered the mold after dang Grabagun put the LCP Max on sale this morning ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Charlie View Post
    It was a Ranch Dog design. I shoot it a lot in .380 ACP. I don't size them, and lube them only with Johnson's paste wax. They work great in three pistols I have and a friend shoots them in his Colt 1908. Never had a single failure to feed. They are as accurate as anything I've fired in my pistols.
    So, with the JPW do you just rub it into the grooves and call it good?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

I may have to get this mold...
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Mold
    The LCP Max is what I shoot with these bullets. 200 rounds cycled flawlessly at a COL of .950.

Let us know what powder and load you settled on.
    Last edited by kenrh; 01-03-2024 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Spellng

Boolit Master
    Will do Ken. I see a lot of recommendations for 231 as optimal, but don't have any. Lyman 51st lists Bullseye, Unique, Red Dot, Blue Dot, etc, which I do have.

Boolit Grand Master
    231/HP-38 worked best for me ( and I have pounds of it). However, 2.6-2.8 grains of Bullseye or Red Dot, or 3.3-3.5 grns. Unique ought to work just fine. I believe I have used the 2.7 Bullseye load in the past, but I have only a pound or so left and prefer to save it for 38 Wadcutter loads for my S&W M-52.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 01-04-2024 at 01:06 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    I may have to get this mold...
    PM sent!

Boolit Master

While warming the bullets in the oven to where they can still be handled, I put a little wax in a plastic container that I don't mind throwing away. When bullets are warm and wax melted I put some bullets in the plastic container and swirl them around until all coated, then pour out onto some wax paper. Repeat until all bullets are coated. Bullets will have a thin coat of wax and look nice and shiny. That's all there is to it. Takes some tinkering to get enough was in container for the amount of bullets to be coated. Too many bullets and they don't swirl good.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    PM sent!
    Reply sent!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast