WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger .44 Mag Blackhawk Real Bummer!!!!

Boolit Mold
    I've posted elsewhere about two different S&W revolvers purchased new in 1998 and 2007. One of them absolutely would not cycle at all to one of the charge holes. It obviously had been test fired ONLY on one chamber. Was the result of a poor cylinder ratchet fit on that particular chamber which I could fix. The other one (2007 manufacture date) had a very visible crack in the crane so never even fired it before sending it back to S&W. This one also had obviously been test fired on one chamber only. These both were internet purchases so no pre-purchase inspections could be done. Quality control now at S&W is nonexistent as far as I am concerned and seemed to disappear in the early to mid 1990's. This seems to be the case with most of the manufacturers these days. Sad.

Boolit Master

Somebody had several posts here a couple of years ago, with horror stories of working at one of the Ruger plants and the managers being so obsessed with production numbers that they would refuse to shut down the line even when the machinery went out of adjustment and made defective parts.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

All manufacturers are in the business to make money period. Mass production is the norm and the "assemblers " put together the guns. Quality control doesn't inspect each and every gun thoroughly. The samples are gauged and checked prior to shipping most go through the assembly line getting a cursory look and if its break time, quitting time, Monday morning or Lord knows what we as gun folks discover those that SHOULD have gone back for adjustment or repairs. Some guns go bang and the new owner is somewhat happy because that's all they expect! Remember consumers are accustomed to imported third world cheap labor from the lowest price suppliers think Wal-Mart..?.
    Before you break into my house stand outside and get right with Jesus tell him you're on your way!!

Boolit Master
    My son and I have worked in quite a few different manufacturing fields. ALL of them are subjected to poor management practices that severely affect the products. That includes food production.

Even the old ISO9000 (and derivative) 'standards' were (and are) whitewash to make the top management feel better or something to advertise as a 'bonus'.

I have had some good company management to work for. One specifically was a company started from scratch by the then current president. He started by running each of the machines himself so he could properly manage the production. He knew what it took to sell a product and part of that was quality over quantity. It was a tough place to work, but, everyone knew where the issues were and worked to minimize them, from the boss all the way down to the line worker. I had one other company that way as well, a line operator who worked his way up. Both eventually sold to investment firms and everything went to ****. They are out of business now.

Boolit Buddy
    another point of concern is the consumers. Im betting the consumers of today are not the consumers of years ago. The only reason I know about feeler gauges and cylinder gap tolerances is because of this forum and the thousands of you all that learned the hard way and have passed the knowledge onto me. This forum is an endless library of knowledge that the vast majority of the 30 and under crowd will never know.......thank you all

Boolit Grand Master

I have mixed feelings about Rugers Customer Service Department. Over the years I have had to return 4 different Blackhawks to them for a variety of reasons. In most of the cases the work was done in a competent and professional manner. The last pistol I sent them was a .30 Carbine Blackhawk which I had bought new. The front sight wasn't clocked properly, and I could not adjust the windage enough to compensate. I was told that they (Ruger) would fix the problem BUT after the repair I would have to have the pistol reblued and would be charged$175.00 to have this done? Bear in mind that there were only about 50 rounds put through this pistol and it was a QC problem that should have been caught before it left the factory.

So much for customer service...
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Stubshaft, I ran into the same thing with a New S&W 586 .357 magnum I bought.

The barrel wasn't "clocked" correctly by the factory. No amount of windage would zero the revolver. The misalignment wasn't real obvious until shooting and a close inspection. I should have sent it back to the factory, but my blood had grown hot, and I had the barrel vise, and frame inserts to fit the S&W, and so I dialed the barrel and frame together in a proper position.

The S&W barrels are a "crush fit" when threaded into the frame, or so I have read, so I took the chance that I could move the barrel slightly to get proper alignment.

I know Glocks are simple and plain, but that is the genius of the design. I have had many different Glocks over the years, and still do,.... and right out of the box, they are good to go, no problems, and up to spec.

I know people love or hate Glocks, but the ones I have, or have had, are spot on, right from the box.
    Last edited by Hickok; 01-04-2024 at 11:14 AM.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post

I know people love or hate Glocks, but the ones I have, or have had, are spot on, right from the box.
    This has been my experience with Ruger. I now own 50 or so Rugers, never have had a problem with any of them. I did have the throats reamed on an older 45c Blackhawk. Accuracy was good but leading was a problem with my cast boolits. The reaming made the leading go away
    A bumble bee is considerable faster than a John Deere tractor

Boolit Master
    I think the short version of Contender1's two posts might be: The new Ruger has decided that since 95+% of all customers are satisfied when a handgun goes bang and a hole appears in the target at 7 yards, it is far cheaper to handle the returns from the shooters on this and similar forums than try to manufacture the way Bill used to.

I buy plastic pistols produced in this century and steel ones from the last.
    Last edited by Ed K; 01-23-2024 at 03:32 PM. Reason: typo

Ask a question and let people volunteer to answer, such as a poll in a newspaper, website or Internet forum. About 2.5% who are strongly in favor and another 2.5% who strongly disagree will respond. No information is gathered on the 95% who declined to participate.

Boolit Master

Ruger says the revolver has been sent to their "tech department" and turnaround time is about 4 to 6 weeks.

Well I guess that is really about a normal time.

So far Ruger reps. have been very good in communication.
    Last edited by Hickok; 01-12-2024 at 03:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Buddy
    Anybody see plowboys video from last night? His 41 mag was shipped with no rear sight or ejector assembly ( rod or housing)

Quote Originally Posted by fordwannabe View Post
    Anybody see plowboys video from last night? His 41 mag was shipped with no rear sight or ejector assembly ( rod or housing)
    I've not seen the video, but WOW! Talk about someone blindly doing their job.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master
    I traded into a blued Ruger Old Army that according to the website is from the first year of production. I called Ruger wanting to see what it would cost to have it reblued. I was told they would not do it since they have no remaining parts and if a spring or detent or other small part "got lost on the floor" they wouldn't be able to replace it. A sad state of affairs, but at least they were honest about it. GF

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    I don't buy many handguns, but a month or two ago I went looking to see what was out there. I was shocked. s&w's, rugers and even most of the colt's were trash I wouldn't ever buy. ymmv, and I hope it does, but what I saw was pure garbage. I'll just keep my old issue and be happy.
    The way of right now. Gun makers have slowed or stopped building the old quality of the past so the trash is coming out for sale and many are buying it, and for to high a price. The left along with enviornmentalists are doing a good job ruining our rights and it effects us all; makers, sellers and buyers alike in every aspect of life's desires.

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    I don't buy many handguns, but a month or two ago I went looking to see what was out there. I was shocked. s&w's, rugers and even most of the colt's were trash I wouldn't ever buy. ymmv, and I hope it does, but what I saw was pure garbage. I'll just keep my old issue and be happy.
    I could not agree more. So many of the new guns and QC by the bigger manufacturers are just not what they used to be. There was mention of percentages of poor-quality guns being lower in relation to the larger quantity produced. Perhaps but this is not the way it should be. Something like the OPs gun should never went out the door.

Can you tell me where to find plowboys video?
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

My Uberti Cattleman 1873 .357mag revolver locked up, found the bolt was broke.
    I got an RMA to send it in as it is in warranty, but really did not feel good about sending it in, besides, I would have to pay freight getting it there.
    After an email conversation with their head tech guy, he is sending a new bolt to me which I will fit myself.
    Saves us both a bunch of money and with the way things are now perhaps a lost revolver.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaLar View Post
    Can you tell me where to find plowboys video?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRGpH6cphBo

Vendor Sponsor

Thank you Hickok, I can't watch a lot of youtube videos b/c I refuse to disable my adblocker and agree to their ads. Testing this to see if it will play here..

It plays for me here, did plowboy ever receive his parts from Ruger? The ending doesn't say.

I have had Ruger's CS send me parts quite a few times, no charges no postage.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 01-12-2024 at 09:18 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast