Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attaching a thermal coupler.

Boolit Buddy

Attaching a thermal coupler.

I posted in another area regarding lead oxidation issue that I was having but now I'd like to know how most people are attaching their thermo couplers to their pot of lead. I'd like to see some pictures if possible and also like to know if most are removing the thermal coupler after a casting session or leaving it in the pot of lead.

I drilled a hole in the center of my pot lid and used a brass compression fitting to hold the thermocouple about a half inch above the bottom. This my original Lee pot with a My2ndRight stand.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20231228_142441.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	321448

Name:	20231228_142423.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	321449

Just use a largish probe and stick it in the pot when the alloy starts to melt, Lee pot.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by PJEagle View Post
    I drilled a hole in the center of my pot lid and used a brass compression fitting to hold the thermocouple about a half inch above the bottom. This my original Lee pot with a My2ndRight stand.

Can you provide a link to where I could get that particular TC? I see you have the stand as well. I was looking at those a couple weeks ago. How do you like it? I want to order one in the very near future. The cost is always a factor when living in Canada. Dollar exchange, shipping, and brokerage fees almost makes it cost prohibitive.

Boolit Master
    Where do you keep the thermos for the ice water? Thermocouples measure a differential. Easy is to use is ice waqter at 0*C or 32* F. If you are assumeing a base temp don't pretend you are getting an accurate temp.

The thermocouple came from Auber Instruments. I really like the stand. I wouldn't want to be without it.

Boolit Master

Attached are pics of thermocouples permanently attached to the bottom of two Lee pots. One shows the thermal coupler clamped (lightly pinched) to the bottom of the pot around/against the bottom pour spot. The other is my ladle pot pot where I drilled and used a brass fitting to house/hold the thermocouple in place.

Some folks claim the location of the thermal couples don't measure the true lead temps, but I get less than a few degrees difference from a wand type thermocouple held in different locations. There is/was a youtube video out there where a guy went through his process. I followed some of it but did what worked for me with tools and components available.

Edit: here's the youtube link I mentioned: I went to extra lengths to make sure I didn't crush the the metal in the thermocouple's tip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqAuBEdugcQ and here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsthzWoVi6U&t=481s

An FYI, I put a layer of ceramic fiber insulating wool under the bottom of my pots between the pot and the aluminum housing/skin to mitigate heat sink skewed readings.

Pretty sure I bought my thermocouples from Auber Instruments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3737.jpg   IMG_3738.jpg   IMG_2361.jpg   IMG_2360.jpg   IMG_2353.jpg  

IMG_2346.jpg  
    Last edited by oley55; 12-29-2023 at 03:07 AM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

I put mine in the same spot as the original mechanical t-stat was on my rcbs pot, on the bottom of the pot.

I bought my TCs from Auber too. The bargain chinese ones are no bargain after all. I even had the center melt out of one chinese TC long ago.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    Where do you keep the thermos for the ice water? Thermocouples measure a differential. Easy is to use is ice waqter at 0*C or 32* F. If you are assumeing a base temp don't pretend you are getting an accurate temp.
    What are you putting in the ice water because the thermocouple needs to be in the lead.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PJEagle View Post

As has been asked, where did you get that stand? I Googled it and came up with nothing.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    As has been asked, where did you get that stand? I Googled it and came up with nothing.

try this....

https://www.opennrg.com/

Boolit Master
    Is that who makes them? Not much there to tell the story. and sold out of everything so looks to me like nothing else being made. Sent a message, will see if I get any kind of reply.

Boolit Buddy
    Is that who makes them? Not much there to tell the story. and sold out of everything so looks to me like nothing else being made. Sent a message, will see if I get any kind of reply.
    Not sure who makes them. I sent an email a few weeks back because there wasn't an option for shipping to Canada and he did reply back with info that he added the option and they were working on the site. Good luck. Let me know what transpires.

I used a piece of 1/2" plumbers strap on mine. Used one of the nuts on top of my pot to hold one end and then bent and shaped the strap till I got the position I wanted and installed the TC so it was just off the bottom near the spout.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    I got a reply back and he did say they are the manufacturers of the parts and more new parts are coming. You can sign up to be notified on the site for each part you are looking for, which I did. Judging from looking at the pieces they are all CNC machined and look to be a good deal for the prices he is asking. If it is just a small garage business I can see why he would be behind. We will see.

Boolit Buddy
    I got a reply back and he did say they are the manufacturers of the parts and more new parts are coming. You can sign up to be notified on the site for each part you are looking for, which I did. Judging from looking at the pieces they are all CNC machined and look to be a good deal for the prices he is asking. If it is just a small garage business I can see why he would be behind. We will see.
    I did sign for a notification as well. Will see what happens.

Boolit Master
    With thermocouples you a measuring a differential. One end goes into whatever you want to measure and another end goes into a thermos of icewater(32*F) . There are measuring devices that assume an average temp and just use one lead. Not as exact but close enough for casting. If you are in the middle of nowhere and you need/want exact temp you take a thermos of icewater.

Boolit Buddy
    I had some holders made that fit under the factory screws on the top of a Lee pot. Installing the clip with the bend up vs down allows a little bit of height adjustment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --BattleRife

Boolit Master
    I’ve attached to the bottom of all three Lee pots I have. This is the 10lb one not sure where the pictures for 20lb pots are but pretty much the same.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7F993B7F-6036-4423-80CB-EB648C676CEF.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast