WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrel lengths

Banned

Barrel lengths

Close quarters /draws snubs… anything longer, why ? I mean l get snubs are for strictly self defense 7 yards. But 4 inch, 5, 6, etc…. Accuracy doesn’t really rely on 7 or better, from what l’ve been told.

Boolit Master
    I prefer 5.5" (PERSONALLY!!!).
    My heavier revolvers are carried a lot more than they are fired. I like the look, they are accurate in my hands and they're not ridiculously long.
    YMMV

Sheer curiosity - would you mind elaborating on the "180 days" you mentioned in a different post of yours?

Boolit Master
    Longer sight radius makes the guns easier to shoot accurately.

Boolit Grand Master

Longer barrels give you a longer sight radius which improves accuracy and balance. Longer barrels allow more of the powder to burn increasing velocity. AFAIK - NO major competition (Silhouette, Olympics et al) have been won with a short barrel!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    If the pistols sitting in the house on a shelf the size and weight don't matter to me. If it's being holster carried, then a 4-inch revolver or a 5-inch semi auto are my limits. Anything longer barreled means the bottom of the holster hits the seat when sitting and jams the pistol butt into my ribs. Anyway, those are my outer limits for carry size. There are occasions where less is more and snubbies do have their place.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    Longer sight radius makes the guns easier to shoot accurately.
    ^^^this^^^

You'll get more speed out of a longer barrel, but the distance between the sights is critical too.
    Or more nearly, our ability to line them up.

If you clamp different barrel length guns down on a heavy duty rest, the group size will be almost the same.
    For example:
    Years ago, Ruger had a exabition shooter that popped common kid balloons 6 out of 6,
    with a off the shelf/right out of the box, 2" GP 100 at 100 yards.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banner Sponsor

I like revolvers with 5.5" ish barrels. I have a 4" gp100 357 that is accurate and a joy to carry. My most carried and shot revolver has got to be my ss Ruger Blackhawk with 4 5/8" barrel in 45 colt
    I do have a 10 BFR in 45-70, it weighs over 5# and sadly doesn't get carried much.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    Longer barrels give you a longer sight radius which improves accuracy and balance. Longer barrels allow more of the powder to burn increasing velocity. AFAIK - NO major competition (Silhouette, Olympics et al) have been won with a short barrel!
    Increased velocity nothing to sneeze at.

Boolit Master

All a preference of the shooter doing the shooting , short is handy for a hideout close in and yes I have shot snubbies at 50 yards and you can hit , but that being said a handy carry not to short not to long is great afield or packing for self defense .

Longer barrels shooting at targets and animals and gongs works with longer sight radius and a little more velocity , it is all what you feel feels right .

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    ferent barrel length guns down on a heavy duty rest, the group size will be almost the same.
    For example:
    Years ago, Ruger had a exabition shooter that popped common kid balloons 6 out of 6,
    with a off the shelf/right out of the box, 2" GP 100 at 100 yards.

I've only seen it done thee times in person. The steel plate is significantly larger that the ballon, Lead frags do the rest. This one with a little practice is very doable for the average shorter.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 12-28-2023 at 04:30 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by castmiester View Post
    Increased velocity nothing to sneeze at.
    Rule of thumb is 25fps per inch of barrel. My testing bears that out. I have shot deer with 7.5", 5.5", and 4 5/8" barrel length guns. They all died. My favorite hunting revolver is 7.5". My second favorite hunting revolver is 5.5" which I feel is a good compromise for where I live and hunt. As noted above barrel length is not a significant factor in mechanical accuracy, it is a factor in shootability.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I've only seen it done thee time in person. The steel plate is significantly larger that the ballon, Lead frags do the rest. This one with a little practices is very doable for the average shorter.
    Very true.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Rule of thumb is 25fps per inch of barrel. My testing bears that out. I have shot deer with 7.5", 5.5", and 4 5/8" barrel length guns. They all died. My favorite hunting revolver is 7.5". My second favorite hunting revolver is 5.5" which I feel is a good compromise for where I live and hunt. As noted above barrel length is not a significant factor in mechanical accuracy, it is a factor in shoot ability.
    balance and sight radius

Boolit Grand Master
    castmeister touches on another advantage of the longer barreled revolver: balance and by extension, handling. The longer barrel adds weight to the front which makes pointing the gun and keeping it on point easier. Especially in point shooting, the longer barrel makes hitting easier.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    castmeister touches on another advantage of the longer barreled revolver: balance and by extension, handling. The longer barrel adds weight to the front which makes pointing the gun and keeping it on point easier. Especially in point shooting, the longer barrel makes hitting easier.
    the extra weight is better for snap shooting as it tricks the brain into letting the muzzle hang lower when your shooting. yeah, you might hit lower then expected at 20 yards,, but hitting the target in the gut every time is preferrable to having mystery head shots.

Boolit Master
    I like 4-5” for SD purposes; 7-1/2” for hunting. But it’s individual choice in the end…

The playing card exercise at ten steps is a good way to sharpen skills. Tack the queen of hearts to a fence post then back off and try your hand at quick hits. Harder than it looks…

Boolit Master

Because a 5" S&W is just sexier?
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    Long ago I tried barrel lengths on a pair of Dan Wessons, .22 and .357. Same frames, just changed to different barrel lengths on each caliber. I shot the 4" OK, the 6" was a LOT better, and the 8" was only about 10% better than the 6".

I use a mix of lengths; 4" for a mostly carry guns, 6" for carry and better accuracy (and more pleasant shooting), and 8" +- for best accuracy. Accuracy = my being able to hit the target, not necessarily the raw accuracy of the gun.

Boolit Master
    two or three inch to hidout, ccw. four inch, five max in a hanging holster if in and out of a vehicle. Five and Six inch seem to balance the best for me depending on barrel weight. Six to eight get better velocity and better sight radius (if not using a scope) on magnums. Ten inch for every last fps or just to be Mr. Buntline.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

For added point of discussion, you need roughly a 3" or longer barrel in order to mount an extractor rod long enough to fully push out the entire length of a .357 case. . . not that anybody remembers how to combat-reload a DA revolver anymore, but. . .

Also, consider the days of having to deal with your problems from the back of a galloping horse. . .

. . .maybe with a cap & ball gun where the six you have is realistically the six you have. . .

. . .and the typically nonexistent amount of training. . .

. . .sight radius helps.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast