Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: progressive press

Banned

progressive press

if the purpose of the progressive press or turret press in general is to put the entire die set into a completely set up layout. How is one supposed to deal with the fact that 90% of seating dies are also crimping dies?

its not exactly convenient.. or is it a means to make me purchase seperate crimp dies

Boolit Master

Easy enough to adjust the die so that it will only seat or only crimp. Of course it does require the use of two dies. For some pistol rounds I'm fine doing both in one step, but some calibers and even some bullet profiles fare better with the operations separated.

Banned
    thats kind of my problem. ive been keeping things dandy using the rcbs die rings to keep it sorted out. Annoying to keep adjusting, but annoying to forget to change those die rings out..

but NOT screwing up a round is priceless.

If your brass is all trimmed to the same length, the seat/crimp die usually works fine.

If you have cases of various lengths, you'll probably want a taper crimp die,
    or do the crimp separately on a single stage where you can feel when a long case
    goes up and you can stop the crimping by feel and not crush it with a full stroke on the handle.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I use two dies; one for seating and one for crimp.

Boolit Buddy
    It is better to use 2 dies, one to seat and the other to crimp. Once the crimp dies is set, it should not need adjusting again. Only need to change the seat die depending on the bullet being used.

I have always seated and crimped in one step. I’m not building Camp Perry or NRA bullseye ammo. While I am not a Lee fan I do like the ease of adjustment on their pistol caliber seating dies. I also use a variety of bullet weights and shapes for my 45acp-45colt-45schofield-45cs and 450/455webley. I use a Dillon 550 or a Lyman T2 press for pistol ammo, I also prime on these presses. For rifle reloading I use an ancient single stage Bair Kodiak press and RCBS dies and prime on a neat RCBS bench priming tool. For years Ive used a lee Autoprime for rifle priming but arthur has reared his ugly head.

Boolit Master
    Yes, use two separate dies if you want to do them separately.

If you use an expander with a minimal step flare, I find you don't need to taper crimp most cartridges, at all. Just seat with the crimp ring backed out.

For ammo that requires a roll crimp, I find that it's perfectly fine to seat and crimp at the same time IF the bullet has a crimp groove and your brass is pretty consistent in length.

If you run out of stations on your progressive, you can perhaps choose to size in a separate step, then run the sized cases through your progressive setup.

Boolit Grand Master
    It depends on how many stations on the progressive and what you want to do.

I have seated and crimped in one operation, and done them separately.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Some gets seated and crimped at once.

Some get seated and partially crimped then finnish crimped.

Others get seated then crimped separately.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    I use two dies; one for seating and one for crimp.
    Right, totally agree. I use a Lee FCD.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by delftshooter View Post
    if the purpose of the progressive press or turret press in general is to put the entire die set into a completely set up layout. How is one supposed to deal with the fact that 90% of seating dies are also crimping dies?

its not exactly convenient.. or is it a means to make me purchase seperate crimp dies
    Your question is, indeed, a good one! My THOUGHTS include the idea that progressive presses were designed and marketed for those who wish to crank out lots of ammo in minimal time. Added design changes (and $$$ ) being commensurate with purported quality of finished product. The plain-Jane reload sequence may be to decap/resize; prime; add powder; and finally seat the bullet. That's all she wrote, and it works quite well in many cases! (Why I bought/use my Dillon 550b!).
    BUT, for those who wish to do that "extra" to make their ammo "better" -- crimping as an extra step is what I do. Just do not screw down your seater die to accomplish any crimp at all. Then, as you take the then-finished round out of collection box, just run it -- in my case I use a Pacific old single stage press -- with a Redding crimp die or Lee Factory Crimp die in it.
    To reiterate, if you wish to do all in one sequence with the progressive press, than have the die screwed down enough to also crimp. On the other hand if you wish to crimp as an added station -- just do NOT crimp on the progessive but do it as a separate step on another press after the fact.
    geo

Boolit Master
    Also, I use two dies; one for seating and one for crimp.

One more reloader here for using two dies to seat and crimp, made easy with a 4 or 5 station press.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Grand Master
    For me, the only time this becomes an issue is when the chamber of a particular firearm requires a taper crimp to accept the round properly. In those cases, whether I’m using a progressive, a turret, or even a single stage press, I find it best to add an extra die for that purpose. I’ve had good results with the Lee “Factory Crimp” dies, even though I use mostly Lyman for other steps in the process.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    It depends on how many stations on the progressive and what you want to do.

I have seated and crimped in one operation, and done them separately.
    For my 550s, 1st gets size/deprimed then primed, 2nd gets belled & powder drop, 3rd bullet seats & last gets the LFCD. Take care of any variation in lengths of straight-walled cases.
    For necked cases, they get full sized/trimmed separately before they get in the 550 where 1st only primes.
    YMMV
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Master
    Separate seating and crimping dies make die adjustment simple, BUT with CAREFUL adjustment to the seating/crimping die, both can be accomplished in one die at the same time. The bullets used do need a crimp or lube groove where the crimp is to be. To adjust the die, first back off so it will NOT crimp and adjust so that the bullet is seated to where you want to crimp, next - back off the seating stem so it won't touch the bullet and screw in the seating/crimping die until you have got the crimp you want in the groove where you want it, lock the die for the crimp, then lower the seating stem to contact the bullet. You may have to tinker just a little to get things set up correctly, but it is not that tricky. A good crimp/lube groove or crimp cannelure in the bullet is needed and cases trimmed to a uniform length are needed to get good results. If you are loading for auto pistols - 9mm, .40, .45 ACP - you can use a similar technique, just 'crimping' enough to remove case flare without concern for a crimp groove, works well with cast boolits.

Seating dies with a built in crimp are designed to do both in one step so no need for a separate crimp die. The only issue would be if your brass is not all the same length but then again this is simply a poor reloading practice. As a side note, to speed things up even more add a lube die to your progressive set up.

Quote Originally Posted by delftshooter View Post
    You are right and the die makers have listened. Lee sells a line of Factory Crimp Dies, and Carbide Factory Crimp Dies. All of those special dies need a station, and now the die that was formerly used for seating and crimping is only used to establish the Cartridge Overall Length. Because of this progressive presses are going to 5 and 6 stations or more. Many of the other die makers also offer crimp dies now.

I use the two-die method and always crimp semi-automatic rounds. I have picked up tons of range scrap and have come across hundreds of bad live rounds where the bullet has been shoved into the case which would result in much higher unexpected pressures. According to research this is common with auto loaders when the bullets move through the feeding cycle. I also find that the factory crimp die method also gives a little extra resize when it comes to slightly bulging cases cased from the seating of the bullet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast