Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope for a springer air rifle

Scope for a springer air rifle

Over the summer I had my Dad's old Feinwerkbau 124 fixed so it would shoot again. It has no iron sights so I need to find a good springer pellet rifle scope. I have been looking at the Mantis 3x9x40 scope. They are $79 at most of the online airgun companies. Any one have any knowledge of these scopes ??
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    Last edited by Ohio Rusty; 12-27-2023 at 11:27 AM.
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Vendor Sponsor

I use a Leapers 3x12x44 with the etched glass reticle.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 12-27-2023 at 04:51 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Rusty View Post
    Over the summer I had my Dad's old Feinwerkbau 124 fixed so it would shoot again. It has no iron sights so I need to find a good springer pellet rifle scope. I have been looking at the Mantis 3x9x40 scope. They are $79 at most of the online airgun companies. Any one have any knowledge of these scopes ??
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    I (personal preference only) was not at all fond of the one Mantis 'scope I had. I, too, interestingly have the same 'scope DougGuy has, and albeit it costs a bit more than the Mantis, imho the quality one gets more than makes up for the difference. If I recall correctly -- hopefully THIS model -- I recently got a flyer from Pyramid Air and it may very well be on sale. No doubt just one of my neurosis is that one can put anything from an empty toilet paper tube on up to several-hundred dollar 'scopes on, say, a PCP -- while it has been my experience with my few springers that these tend to be a bit fussy . Here's a photo of the Leapers. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leaperrs 3 12 40.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	321402
    geo

Boolit Master
    Similar price, I can recommend the Tasco 3-9x40 AO airgun-rated scope as the most impressive scope for the money. Optics are probably better than any of my scopes up to $250. Smooth and firm adjustments that hold. Clicks are extremely clicky and consistent. AO adjusts to truly 7.5 yards at the full 9x.

Both of mine are mounted on springers. The only drawback is the duplex crosshairs. Wish it had more retical options.

I'd be putting this scope on more of my springers, but it's too long for some of my smaller, weaker backyard rifles. I have spendier compact 40mm AO scopes on these with side-adjust, from UTG and Monstrum, and I much prefer the Tasco, even with the lack of mildots. This scope shifted my preference on which rifle I choose for pesting. Super quick adjusting and target location/acquisition with this scope, for when speed matters.

My 40mm UTG Accushot is a great scope, but the zoom and side focus are slightly stiff and slow to adjust. (My Monstrum scopes are even worse in this regard; I need to stop and look at the scope to adjust it; with the Tasco, I can quickly turn it to where it stops, then back a certain amount and know where it is without looking, but the adjustments are plenty stiff enough to stay put unless I move them.) The image on my UTG is superb, and it maybe it has "better" antiglare coatings, or something. But for quickness of adjustments and brightness of the image in low light, Tasco wins. No tint to the image makes what I see through the scope more similar to what I see with my eyes; makes it faster to identify what I'm looking at when zoomed in close on one spot on a tree, for instance.

edit: 3-12 x 44mm Leapers Accushot with sidefocus. If it's the same one as others have mentioned, there's one thing about this scope that I can't stand. There is no cap and no way to lock the turrets. You can only adjust where the zero lines are, once sighted in. And not only do you need a hex/torx bit to do that, it's not the standard bit for scope rings. Not the standard torx bit for 30mm rings, and not the hex bit for 1" rings. It's larger than either. It also only focuses down to maybe 15 yards.
    Last edited by gloob; 12-27-2023 at 04:38 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I (personal preference only) was not at all fond of the one Mantis 'scope I had. I, too, interestingly have the same 'scope DougGuy has, and albeit it costs a bit more than the Mantis, imho the quality one gets more than makes up for the difference. If I recall correctly -- hopefully THIS model -- I recently got a flyer from Pyramid Air and it may very well be on sale. No doubt just one of my neurosis is that one can put anything from an empty toilet paper tube on up to several-hundred dollar 'scopes on, say, a PCP -- while it has been my experience with my few springers that these tend to be a bit fussy . Here's a photo of the Leapers. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leaperrs 3 12 40.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	321402
    geo
    This is mine, quite a bit different than the one pictrured Leapers UTG 3-12x44 AO Rifle Scope, EZ-TAP, Ill. Mil-Dot Reticle, 1/4 MOA, 30mm Tube, Weaver Rings
    Item# PY-A-4319
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    The UTGs have a great reputation for value for the dollar -- and being bombproof. I like the Hawke scopes as well.

Thanks for the info on the Tasco scope. The price is definitely one I can afford. Next time my retirement pension payment comes through, I'll get that Tasco scope.
    Thanks !!
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

All I have ever had is cheap scopes and have had pretty good luck with them.
    I have a little more expensive cheap scope on an AR-10 type rifle where the coating went funky, but it still seems usable, but then I don't shoot this rifle, hope to change that next summer.
    I have a Hammers scope 3-9x32 on my Hatsan Mod 135QE .25 caliber which has accounted for numerous varmints clandestinely taken in my backyard.
    The Hammers seems to hold up, at least so far.
    I don't use the springer much anymore as I have progressed to PCP rifles.
    I do grab it occasionally though.
    The biggest problem I have had with cheap scopes, (perhaps the same with expensive scopes, I don't know, don't have many expensive scopes) is the lens covers.
    The plastic caps, some you can see through, usually the front one is tinted.
    The caps themselves are fine, but the elastic strings that hold them on the scope always lose their elasticity.

Boolit Master
    After finding some of these see-thru tinted scope covers randomly change the POA/POI, I don't trust to leave them on when shooting.

I bought one >200 scope that came with this type of cover, but with heavy molded rubber straps instead of elastic. Some come with flip caps.

Decent third party flip caps are like 8-12 bucks these days. I like Butler Creek. A lot of my rifles, I only buy the front cap, because I'm cheap. This keeps the dust off of the objective while the rifels are leaning against a wall or in safe, pointed up.

The only generic scopes I've tried were super compact 30mm scopes, and the image was really distorted and poor. One of those is the only scope I ever broken on a springer. That said, the only decent brand super compact 30mm scope I have ever bought is the UTG Bugbuster, and the image there is fair, but it's still a couple notches below any full length scope I have. So maybe I need to try some generic full length scopes! Hard to do that, though, when the Tasco is only $20-30 more.
    Last edited by gloob; 12-28-2023 at 08:09 PM.

I didn't know they changed the point of aim as I have never tried shooting with them on as they make the image blurry.
    I have replaced the rotten elastic cords with leather thongs with good success.
    The caps do keep the lens clean.
    I did buy a Vortex scope for my .45-70 Henry as I use that for hunting.
    The Vortex came with the caps, but they are opaque, but have the elastic cords, haven't had the scope long enough to tell if the cords hold up.
    The plastic filter caps are kind of sucky, but they do keep the dust off. Those saggy elastic cords really bug me though.

Boolit Master

I have had a Bushnell Sportview on my RWS 45 since 1988. Don't know how many 1000's of pellets through it between my Dad, 2 sons and myself.

Boolit Master

I bought a Benjamin Nitro Piston .25 caliber a few years ago It came with a center point scope the scope has done fine the mounts tend to move! I installed 4 Weaver mounts and have not had the scope move again . The rail is welded to the gun from the factory so it is not a problem.

Before I replaced the mounts I tried sand paper epoxy in the rings and other glues the scope moved in the rings and sometimes the mounts moved on the rail as well . I forget if the scope went forward or backward ?
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    I bought a Benjamin Nitro Piston .25 caliber a few years ago It came with a center point scope the scope has done fine the mounts tend to move! I installed 4 Weaver mounts and have not had the scope move again . The rail is welded to the gun from the factory so it is not a problem.

Before I replaced the mounts I tried sand paper epoxy in the rings and other glues the scope moved in the rings and sometimes the mounts moved on the rail as well . I forget if the scope went forward or backward ?
    It's the thunk of the piston slamming to a stop. This slams the rifle forward as if tapped by a hammer. This slides the scope +- rings back towards the butt of the rifle.

So long as the rear ring is butted with weaver, pic, scope stop, or a stop pin, it won't move. Then you have problem of scope moving in the ring. If you butt the rear of the turret against the rear ring, now the scope can't move in the rings. You shouldn't need 4 scope rings if you have a weaver/pic rail. Don't be afraid to butt the turret against the rear ring. It doesn't do any damage to the scope.

If you have dovetails and no stop holes or scope stop, it's pretty easy to add a scope stop. The hard part is you have to take the spring out and get it back together. Drill a hole at the rear of the compression tube close to where the dovetails end, and tap it for a screw. If there's a standard size, I think it's 3mm tap. W/e the finer of threading is for a 3mm screw. If you mess that up, no problem, just go to the next bigger size.

The metal is less than 2mm thick, maybe just around 1mm, so you want a finer threading if you have a choice to make.

Unlike stop holes (that accept the pin that comes preinstalled inside of the rear scope ring, for springers), the hole for a scope stop doesn't need to be exactly centered to work properly. (If you think about it, the shape and exact distance between the dovetails will affect how the stop pin lines up, so it's a flawed system from the start; the pin might line up better with the rings facing one way or the other). And you don't have to put it exactly the right spot for your eye relief. You just make the scope stop the right length, after the fact.

A scope stop doesn't need to form-fit to the cylinder. Even a flat strip of 1/8" metal with a hole drilled through it will do the job. Better to use something that won't scratch the finish, so brass or aluminum works good. Softer metal is also easier to grind, file, sand to fit the cylinder, if you like to.
    Last edited by gloob; 12-31-2023 at 07:25 PM.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I bought a few Tasco varmint 2-10 with mil dots on close out a few years back for $24.99 shipped. Put thousands of pellets through my nitro piston Walther talon 22 magnum and it’s still going strong and holds it zero. I can focus clearly at 15 to 20 feet at 10x with it. Great cheap scope. Put the rest on my 22lrs. Had one on my 35 rem 336 for a while ladder testing, used it on my avatar group. Think you can call Tasco and buy one direct for around $69 even thought they don’t advertise them anymore and are discontinued. They still had some laying around for warranty replacements and will sell them outright if you ask. They did the last time I called them anyways. I remember when that optic first came out they sold for $169 to $189 depending on the variable power. I tried a few 6-24vsrmint models but they got fuzzy past 12x. Tasco sent me a few 6-24 sportsman’s to try by accident. Put one on my H&R 223. It’s clear as a clear and bright at 24x. I was shooting under MOA with it at 200 yards. They just don’t focus close like the discontinued varmint models. Put one on my cz 452 ultralux. Sighted in at 50 yards it hits dead center balancing the “x” on my first dot at 100 yards and also shoots sub MOA.

Looks like somebody bought a few from Tasco and trying to flip them because they show being available and I can put one in my cart for 86 bucks on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Varmint-2-5-1...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Whoops I read the seller is the Tasco store! They went up a little, but it’s still a great value. It’s brighter and clearer than a lot of my old vx111 leupolds.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-31-2023 at 09:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    Oh... that's the upgrade I was looking for.

About $10 more than the Tasco 3-9x40 AO, and you get the mildots.

And more zoom!

I love mine and it will focus clear at 10x at spitting distance. I like the little Prairie dog on the side with the cross hairs on it. lol. It brings back good memories when I was a kid. My forst scope was a Tasco 4x o think my dad paid $29 for. It went on my 7600 pump back in 84’ it killed ALOT of deer. Took it off after hitting the bell on my forehead when dragging out an 8 pointer around 90’ so I upgraded it and gave the optic to my cousin. He still uses it to this day for deer hunting.

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

The bonus part is supporting the Chinese Communist Party at the same time.

Nope…my old one was from Japan.lol

My HW35EB had a Bushnell 4X .22 Rimfire scope on it for 10 years. I still have it, and it still is in one piece. I had a 1-4X Leapers scope on my Mini 14 for about 1000 rounds, put it on my R1 and it killed it in exactly 4 shots!

The R1 now has a Leupold 1-4X on it. I have a Burris 4X "Airgun Scope" on my HW 77. Been there since 1991 still is perfect.

I have a 3-9X bug Buster on my other HW35E and it has been doing fine. I think I paid $85 for it about 10 years ago?

My point is, try out an inexpensive Optic. Some of the newest ones are decent optics. If it cacks you aren't out much and can probably have the company replace it for free like Leapers did on my 1-4X that my R1 killed.

If a Bushnell .22 scope can last for 10 years on an HW 35 there is no telling how long any scope will last on a Springer.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I agree with Randy. I had one of the Tasco varmint scopes that had dirt it NIB. It worked fine but bugged me becuase the dirt started migrating to the middle of the glass. Tasco Sent me the wrong scope under warranty. Tasco told me to keep it and sent another 2.5-10 varmint. I also had an old 4x German crosshair that the crosshairs fell out of. Made before Bushnell bought them out and they still warranteed it and sent me an optic of my choice...they are all priced the same.lol. Great company!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast