WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bisley SBH

Banned

Bisley SBH

Is Bisley a grip type frame or can I order the grips for a standard Black Hawk ?

It's a completely different grip frame.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rkrcpa View Post
    It's a completely different grip frame.
    is this grip really that good? On the inside it's more curved, designed to reduced felt recoil ?

Do I have to special order a SBH for a scope barrel mount ?
    Last edited by castmiester; 12-26-2023 at 03:47 PM.

The fans of the Bisley say it has a more straight back recoil as opposed to the twisting / rotation of the plow handle. If your scope mount replaces the rear sight it should work fine. The only differences between the Bisley and the standard SBH are the grip frame, trigger, and hammer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    The fans of the Bisley say it has a more straight back recoil as opposed to the twisting / rotation of the plow handle. If your scope mount replaces the rear sight it should work fine. The only differences between the Bisley and the standard SBH are the grip frame, trigger, and hammer.

Originally the Bisley was developed as a target gun.... so if I get a non Bisley for hunting I won't be shooting it enough to be be concerned ? But the way you describe it, twisting/rotating would throw off accuracy ? Enough to discourage or it really wouldn't matter ?

The Ruger Bisley is totally different from the old Colt Bisley. The Ruger is closer to the Elmer Keith #5 grip frame. Skeeter Skelton had input on its final shape. Fans of the plow handle say that the rotation reduces felt recoil and places the hammer near the thumb for cocking it for the next shot. Full disclosure, I am a Bisley fan boy. The SBH's I own wear Hogue grips. I prefer that the gun not rotate. Excellent shooting can be done with either grip style. I feel that handguns are personal and the owner should do whatever they like that helps them shoot the gun well. I am a fan of trigger jobs.

Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by castmiester View Post
    is this grip really that good? On the inside it's more curved, designed to reduced felt recoil ?
    I have large hands and prefer the Bisley grip for heavy recoil management.

Bisley Grip frame

Super Blackhawk Grip Frame

Without explanation, some people like the Ruger Bisley and some don't. I have many Super Blackhawk 44 Mag revolvers, and bought a Bisley. I don't like it, and haven't fired more than 10 shots with it. It's just sitting my my gun safe.

I would highly recommend that the OP find a way to shoot guns with each type of grip. There doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground.

Agreed.

Banned
    True, but that's not an easy task. My biggest thing is I have to apply for another permit to trade one in I don't like. Sux.

Is there a gun shop where you could handle both types of gun?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Is there a gun shop where you could handle both types of gun?

no not locally, there's not, other wise I would. I'm trying at other shops out of state close by but can't get them on the phone first. I don't feel like driving all over the place just to handle guns without knowing first if they have them in stock.

Boolit Master

I own several single actions both in your usual cowboy configuration and Bisley...I enjoy both. Though, the plowshare is my favorite. To me, it has a much better feel cocking. With the plowshare you can use the weight of the muzzle to speed up the cocking. The Bisley has a shorter cocking stroke but, its all hand strength.
    When I was a younger man I fancied myself a regular Bronco Billy. The Bisley would have never worked for me then.
    Today, I have plenty of time for the Bisley's
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Electrod47 View Post
    I own several single actions both in your usual cowboy configuration and Bisley...I enjoy both. Though, the plowshare is my favorite. To me, it has a much better feel cocking. With the plowshare you can use the weight of the muzzle to speed up the cocking. The Bisley has a shorter cocking stroke but, its all hand strength.
    Speed up cocking would be good for hunting.... so you cock as the muzzle lifts? Bisley would be good for at the range and would muzzle rise enhance hammer cocking?

Speed of cooking has never been an issue for me in a hunting setting. I cock the gun when I see or hear a critter coming and put the thumb of my support hand between the hammer and the frame. Plow handle fans say yeah that frame places the shooting hand thumb closer to the hammer. I almost never shot a heavy recoiling handgun one handed.

Are you pretty well set on a single action? If you buy a Super Red Hawk, they come with brute strong rings and easy mounting. I have had both and I am a SRH convert from a long ago. Mine is scary accurate.
    I see that you are in NJ. Can you hunt with a handgun in NJ?
    Last edited by murf205; 12-26-2023 at 06:01 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Are you pretty well set on a single action? If you buy a Super Red Hawk, they come with brute strong rings and easy mounting. I have had both and I am a SRH convert from a long ago. Mine is scary accurate.
    I see that you are in NJ. Can you hunt with a handgun in NJ?
    I thought about the RH yes, cock it anyway, but the double is brutal to break, and I'm not interested in spending more money on a trigger job, so that's why I'm leaning on the BH. But in a dangerous situation the RH would be the way to go. I don't hunt in NJ. PA

My SRH was pretty stiff DA but after a lot of dry firing it is pretty smooth. I Never shoot mine DA anyway since it is strictly a hunting gun as you can see by this pic. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0574 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	191.2 KB 
ID:	321387
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    My SRH was pretty stiff DA but after a lot of dry firing it is pretty smooth. I Never shoot mine DA anyway since it is strictly a hunting gun as you can see by this pic. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0574 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	191.2 KB 
ID:	321387
    break in ? Ok, I'll go for the RH
    Last edited by castmiester; 12-26-2023 at 07:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast