Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Briwax for tumble lube??

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico

Briwax for tumble lube??

I found this on my weekend foray. Looks interesting for tumble lube. It has STRONG solvent odor! Might be a good starting place for a tumble lube. Just another rabbit hole maybe, but that’s the fun of this hobby! Beeswax, carnauba wax, hmmm, some LLA, and maybe some mineral spirits?

Just having fun.

Happy New Year.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master

I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

it is very liquid - directions states to put it in refrigerator if stored at room temperature before use - bought an unopened can for a dollar at estate sale a few weeks back + had to put it in refridge for over an hour before it became semi solid - for use on wood i would never buy it at the inflated regular price - being so i would think twice about using as a bullet lube - temperature sensitive to heat -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Grand Master

Should make a great Lube. I would start with the old JPW and LLA 45/45/10 formula and move on from there.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

imashooter2, that’s where i was going to start! Did some checking, and the solvent is toluene! Nasty stuff, I used to work around it. So, that being said, I may just try the recipe with just some LLA added using the toluene solvent to replace mineral spirits. Going to trial and error to start with, but just doing small batches, if I have to trash the batches, won’t be any big loss! I love this hobby! Be safe out there!

Boolit Grand Master

LOL! My completely scientific go to for tumble lubing is 4-500 castings in a square plastic Planter’s peanut jar, a big screwdriver dollop of JPW and a short squirt of LLA. Never saw the need to complicate it further.

The post above says it’s pretty loose in the can from the factory. That sounds to me like it is "just add LLA ready."
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    I think budzilla is onto something.

The waxes in the JPW certainly add something. I have to admit my LLA+beeswax sometimes looks a bit like crumbled dirt in the TL grooves, but that's more when the pan gets dirty with tiny bits of lead.

I think the most important contribution of the JPW is really the solvents.

I've been using briwax for sometime. At the moment I am using it with the lee .312 tl bullet (intended for the sks) in my k31. I just push the bullet into the .310 size die to seat and crimp the gas check, then tumble 50 or so at time in a tin with a small knob of briwax. I'm getting inch and half groups at 50 metres at just over 2000fps. Borescope shows no fouling issues.
    "Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.