Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: new stuck case puller

Boolit Grand Master

new stuck case puller

Got an e-mail from brownells today advertising the frankfort arsenal stuck case remover. Its interesting in that there isnt any need to drill and tap the case head. Its a small sliding vise that clamps on the protruding case head and pulls it out. The jaws are serrated for a solid grip. It snaps in the ram and is tightened on the case head with a screw then the ram is used to pull the case.

Its an interesting concept that should work quickly and easily.

Boolit Master

I can see it pulling loose under tension. not much brass sticks out from a die in that situation. Tap and bolt threaded into the base works well enough.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Grand Master

I was curious enough to go look at it. If the case was stuck hard enough to tear off the rim, I don’t see how that clamp is going to get enough grip. Particularly if the brass is larger or smaller diameter than the fixed jaw radius.

If I had one, I’d try it before I drilled and tapped, but I wouldn’t get my hopes up.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Better than I thought.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for posting the video, M-Tecs! I really like the "warning" re using this tool on aluminum presses as a no-no, albeit I have none made of this material. The tool seems to reinforce the old, "it it's too good to be true, it's most likely not!". I'm going to stick with my drill/tap method when needed.
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    great video , a bit long but held my attention to the end. Conclusion I will stick with my RCBS kit and be happy with it.

Why I really like Dillon and Lee dies, the stuck case remover is built in.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Why I really like Dillon and Lee dies, the stuck case remover is built in.
    Yes and easy to clean the lube from pistol dies without removing the die from the press.
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Mold
    I went there to check it out a few minutes after the email popped into my inbox. There were none in stock. Who send a promotional email for something they don't actually have.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Thanks for posting the video, M-Tecs! I really like the "warning" re using this tool on aluminum presses as a no-no, albeit I have none made of this material. The tool seems to reinforce the old, "it it's too good to be true, it's most likely not!". I'm going to stick with my drill/tap method when needed.
    geo
    Agree 100%. I could only stand watching about half of the video. I will stay with the old drill, tap the hole, and screw it out way.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    Can't beat the tap and pull.
    But I don't use a bolt to pull.
    I made a threaded rod, use a nut to tighten it against the case base, so it doesn't have a chance to strip out.
    Then use a nut over the spacer to pull it out.
    Also stick it in toaster oven, at a low temp, for a little while first.
    Guy I know sticks his in the freezer over night first.
    I've never tried it, but he said it works for him.
    Maybe I'll try it if I ever get another stuck case.
    I haven't had one in years and years.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Agree 100%. I could only stand watching about half of the video. I will stay with the old drill, tap the hole, and screw it out way.
    At the end of the video, he has to use drill and tap to remove the stuck belted case when the Frankfort Arsenal puller couldn’t hold on to the case hard enough. I thought that the amount of pressure he was applying with a pipe over the handle was a bit concerning on the smaller cases where the FA puller was successful.

Bottom line? If I had one, I would certainly try it first, but I’m not a buyer.

Boolit Master
    I'll stick with drill and tap method. I didn't get to the 5 minute mark on the video.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

If that tool can remove a stuck case, seems that case wasn’t very stuck. My go to is invert the die on the press and use a pair of vise grips on what’s sticking out. I’ve only had to destroy one priming Rod beating it out when the vise grips failed.

Boolit Buddy
    How can anyone make a video on removing a stuck case last almost a hour?

I've stripped the head, tore the rim completely off with vice-grips, etc. (308W LC07) - best solution is a GOOD lube.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by wildwilly501 View Post
    How can anyone make a video on removing a stuck case last almost a hour?
    The guy shows several cases and starts by trying to stick them for 20 minutes. He also fumbles around a lot before spending the last 15 minutes demonstrating that drill and tap works when the FA unit fails.