Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lyman 358318 for Marlin 336 35 Rem?

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the replies,everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    That sure sounds like walk away to me.
    Yes in a rational sense it does.

I just happened to see that rifle, I have never seen or touched a 35 Rem gun. I do not know anyone who has or has had one. Very rare. At the same time it may be too nice to suppress it, which was my original thought as well. Pour more money without adding a dime to value...

But I've been here before with a 300 RSAUM. No ammo no brass. Still I wanted it. But I've had 200+ firearms so a couple of mistakes fit in. Oh and a pitted Winchester 94 that I firelapped an all, it still never became a cast shooter.

Oh well.

Boolit Master
    The plot thickens.

I had basically given up on this but I asked about the serial yesterday. It is R-prefix, meaning a 1957 rifle. And my LGS just "found" a set of Lee dies. I also found hunting bullets in Italy.

It's been dead cold winter here like -30°C all week, no driving, I still have not touched the gun. It sure did not look like 65 years old. The seller still does not believe Rxxxxx is 1957.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I just got my first 336 in 35 rem. Also a JM Marlin. It is a sweet gun… I understand load development in winter, and am praying for a weather window to get out to play!!!!

Good luck My cold brother…
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    The plot thickens.

I had basically given up on this but I asked about the serial yesterday. It is R-prefix, meaning a 1957 rifle. And my LGS just "found" a set of Lee dies. I also found hunting bullets in Italy.

It's been dead cold winter here like -30°C all week, no driving, I still have not touched the gun. It sure did not look like 65 years old. The seller still does not believe Rxxxxx is 1957.
    With the availability of ammunition there, it has probably been shot little and loved a lot.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Moderator Emeritus

My marlin lever was made in 1951. It chambers and loads the RCBS 250 fp, a few of which I bought with the rifle. It also shoots the Saeco 352, a 245 gr bullet with good accuracy. I would certainly try the Lyman bullet and see how it does. The RCBS 200 fp is the classic cast for this caliber but the Lee copy of it does ok also.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I was going to drive to the shop today,called first. My friend is not working this week so checking the 336 is delayed again.

I'll show you a funny detail of my Aug 2017 made Remlin SBL. Someone had one job.

Boolit Master
    Got a box of 180 Speers from Central Europe today.

I guess this is a start, now I can at least make dummies to test the rifle action. Dies are in the shop but at least they exist.

Boolit Master
    Still so cold weather, ( -25°C), I don't want to punish my car battery. So I have not handled the gun yet.

Brass seems unobtainum and it's bothering me. The rifle comes with 200+ once fired Federal brass, a Reitz 2-7x32 scope with mounts and a new Lee three die set. Asking 400 € for it all so not much for the rifle itself. Like 100 € or so.

But I can use that brass up in a few range trips, it may last 3-5 times reloading... what then? Even if by some miracle Hornady 35 Rem Leverevolution ammo became available here, it would cost double the USA price... I see it costs $ 80 / 20 box over there.

I don't know what to do.

Boolit Master
    35 Rem. brass can be made from 308, although it takes a good bit of fiddling around. I tried it once, just to see if I could do it, and the reformed brass worked OK. There was a guy on here that made it from 308 and sold it, but I think he died. A site search should turn up some information. Also, you could get more than 3-5 reloads on that brass. I anneal necks every 3-4 reloads and can't remember ever throwing any away for neck cracks. I haven't kept track of how many times the brass has been reloaded, but am sure it's way more than 3-5 times.
    You mentioned Hornady Leverevolution ammo, I'm pretty sure Leverevolution brass is shorter than standard brass. I believe it's something to do with the shape of the rubber tipped bullet. Something to keep in mind if you want to reload that brass.
    With your explanation of the process you have to go through to buy a gun, I'd be uncertain about buying it, too.

Boolit Grand Master

Grumpa was the gentleman. He has a PDF of his process on the board somewhere.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Grand Master

Here’s the thread. It is a chore, but better than not having any.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...em-done-my-way

Boolit Buddy
    Can brass be shipped from the states to Finland? If so once fired brass shows up here off and on.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=imashooter2;5674751]Grumpa was the gentleman.
    Thank you, could not remember his name.

Boolit Master
    Petander, The Lyman 358156 is very accurate from my .358 Winchester and should work great in your .35 Remington if the simi wadcutter will feed.

Boolit Buddy

A genuine RCBS 35-200-FN goes for crazy money these days if you can find a nice one. I chose MP's clone in 4 cavity brass plain base for just a smidgeon more and it rains boolits.

Boolit Master

I looked for the '318 or a long time before finding one.

Its a dandy bullet. Mine drops closer to 250 with COWW.

Its a dandy shooter as well. I have shot in most of my 35's from the Maxi up and it shoots in all. 1:16 can and does stabulize most bullets of this length. I can stabulize the 009 and Accurate 36-270 just fine too.

I like ta dedicate a bullet to a caliber so this one gets shot mostly in the Whelen and 358 NM.

I like my RCBS 200 until I picked up MP's hp copy then the 220g Version. Love those two molds!! My 220g is great in my 358 Win with RL7.

That 36-270c was bought because the '009 that I like so much has too fat a nose for my use. Its proven a good one too. Sized .356 its been fun @ subsonic speeds in my 350Legend!!!
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12