Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap cast iron cookware!!

Thumbs up Cheap cast iron cookware!!

I really love the 3 piece skillet set from Harbor Freight.
    Glad I bought it a few years ago.
    Unfortunately, they don't carry it anymore.
    Might have to go looking for some other cheap brands to play with.
    Last edited by WILCO; 12-23-2023 at 10:20 AM.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

Walmart has some in the camping section!

Boolit Buddy

Try hitting some garage sales and thrift shops. Lots of good old stuff that most people do not want. I bought 2 Griswold fry pans for $5 not look ago. Got 3 Wagneer for $8 Great products and premium quality. If you pick up an old cast skillet, the difference is obvious. Smooth finish and half the weight.. GW

Antique stores are another good source. If buying used for food preparation, you may want to get some lead testing swabs to make sure it hasn't been used by someone like the members here.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

I've been lucky over the years buying used cast iron. I've always found it hard to not bring in new (old) pieces, and bring in the good to replace the not so good. Some of the best pans I have are old, no doubt about that, but many are of "no name" but cook like they are permanently encased in cooking oils. We have a 6" that gets eggs cooked in it every morning, you would think it is lined with Teflon the way they slide out.

I loaded up on the less common items when I was at the Lodge factory in South Pittsburg TN. Deep skillets, casserole dishes, small skillets, panini pan and press,fajita platters, muffin molds.

Boolit Grand Master
    We love our Lodge CI.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master

Its not just the cast iron it has to be correctly seasoned, some may take longer to fully season.

Boolit Buddy
    I've found several really old nice cast iron at the local Goodwill, all around $6-8, whoever prices them has no clue and that makes me happy.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I bought a few from Walmart that are bulletproof. Well they’re not bulletproof .lol. But they work really good and I think they’re about 10 bucks each. I mainly use them for frying fish. My dad bought me some small John Wayne ones from a thrift store that were new in the package never really used them they’re more for show.

Quote Originally Posted by tunnug View Post
    I've found several really old nice cast iron at the local Goodwill, all around $6-8, whoever prices them has no clue and that makes me happy.
    Which one? I know it's not the Goodwill Outlet by the main post office, 'cause people will fight you over anything good that shows up there.

Check your local antique stores. The type where people rent space. Sometimes they have good prices. Check with some of the collectors here before you use it. Some pieces have real value.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by SirNomad View Post
    Which one? I know it's not the Goodwill Outlet by the main post office, 'cause people will fight you over anything good that shows up there.
    I have one nearby on W Valencia by the Tractor Supply, it's not always but like going at least once a week and sometimes I get lucky.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    My wife and I got junking about once every 2 months. Most folks that have cast iron act as if it is made of gold.

Some times I get lucky and find a skillet or Dutch oven for a good price but they are few and far between. Most of the time the are in the $50 to $60
    range. and there they hang.

Boolit Mold
    Too bad Harbor Freight stopped selling that skillet set! If you're after more cheap cast iron, check out Lodge or try your luck at thrift stores.

Quote Originally Posted by LenH View Post
    My wife and I got junking about once every 2 months. Most folks that have cast iron act as if it is made of gold.
    Junking is fun.

Cast is only gold to the one who desires it.

For me, it's relaxing.

Quote Originally Posted by adnservers View Post
    Too bad Harbor Freight stopped selling that skillet set!
    Agreed!!!

Boolit Master
    I was able to find one cast iron lodge dutch oven recently at a thrift store. Itis a Lodge, and I got it for a very good deal. It is unusual to find any cast iron or carbon dteel kitchen knives at any of the charity stores. Plenty of ginsu knives and damaged teflon coated aluminum though.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

I don't mind buying used cast iron for smelting lead but I won't do it for my food.

I walked around in a flea market looking at cast iron, talked with a guy selling from a large booth of cast iron pots and pans. I was really eyeballing this one 1 quart and one 2 quart miniature Dutch oven. I was imagining them as being a casting pot because I like to make bullets!!! They were obviously contaminated from lead casting. I asked him if that specific piece of cast iron was contaminated with lead. He adamantly promised me that "no no no way it has never ever been used for smelting lead. Nope not ever"... and then I just look at it right there, literally right there in front me setting there on that table, and it's got the yellow oxidation and lead smears that I know and can recognize as similar to my own cast iron lead smelting-melting pot back at home. I think... Either....he really didn't know what he was talking about and was trying to save face.... or he was lying right to my face.

Many people out there will lie to your face for $3.

Boolit Mold
    I like cast iron for a lot of stuff, but I really love carbon steel pans for eggs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast