Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Wild Rice

Boolit Master

Wild Rice

All right I need some wild rice recipes, lets see em!

Boolit Master

No body here has ever used wild rice?

Boolit Grand Master

The only wild rice I have used is in the packaged mix you get in the grocery store. No special recipes - just use it in place of the regular rice.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Cornish game hen (or pheasant, grouse, quail) with wild rice stuffing. Plenty of recipes on the web.

Good eatin'.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

I like wild rice. It grows in the salt marshes here, but is being out-competed by the invasive Pragmites grass. Mix it one part to four parts long grain white rice and cook as normal for the white rice. The wild rice adds a nice flavor.

Moderator Emeritus

Lots of locally available wild rice in Minnesota...you see roadside stands selling it every fall.
    The Natives will cook a batch and then refrigerate it, have it in the morning like breakfast cereal with milk and honey.
    Baking as a side dish...
    Slivered almonds go real well with Wild Rice. Below is a recipe very similar to mine (I use more butter and no mushrooms).

https://archive.jsonline.com/feature...122171019.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Pick a poultry based rice soup and add wild rice instead of white(increase cooking times).

Wild rice casserole, ground beef, wild rice, onion, garlic, celery, can of cream of chicken or mushroom soup... brown ground beef, add rest stir in 2 soup cans of water, bake covered at 350 until rice is tender. If needed add more water to get rice to finish cooking thru.

Note: a little wild rice goes a LONG ways! 1 cup dry is equal to 3-4 cups cooked! It expands more than white rice and can require more water.

As a side dish I use 1/2 cup wild rice to 1 cup broth(any kind! Match whatever you are cooking!), simmer until done.

And wild rice will pop like popcorn, not as big and fluffy but my Sioux ancestors(traded with the Chippewa for it most of the time) ate it as a snack!

Boolit Master
    First go and shoot you up a mess of cotton tails then cook em up till tender.Add cooked wild rice and you will be eating high on the hog.

Boolit Master
    Popped wild rice; eaten as a snack food; Take fresh wild rice and sprinkle it over a pan of hot oil; pops just like popcorn with a little salt and you are good to go .......

Boolit Master

A friend gives me a couple pounds every once in a while and I'm not that fond of the cream soup style so I really appreciate your recipes thanks!

I use wild rice for one dish, and as a bed for plating my marinated and grilled beef shish-kabobs. The stronger taste of wild rice matches up well with grilled marinated beef.
    We usually just buy the Mahatma wild rice packs as the use is limited.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers