WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Swiss 1889 loads

Swiss 1889 loads

Anybody have any loads for the Swiss 1889? Either or lead or copper jackets. I don't want to blow up my new toy!

Boolit Master

I think those use a smaller bullet, like 0.303 or maybe 0.301 inch. I had one years ago, much younger and not as wise. Bought a couple boxes or InterArms 7.5 Swiss Ammo, 0.308". It did not blow but it did kick the livin snot out of me. Sold gun before tracking down the cause. Buddy, ( book worm type) said the '89's ere smaller in diameter.
    You might want to check that out. Slug it or chamber bore cast. Just to be safe.
    That's the short one with the mag that lower but not really out? My other Swisses were fine, 1911 I think, full rifle. Shot same ammo just fine.

Boolit Master
    I had excellent accuracy with my 1889 using a Lee 200gr sized .310 and 19.5 gr of Buffalo or similar load of 5744. It was scoped with Swiss Products no drill scope mount, and it shot really well. The chamber cast showed a very large and long throat, to where I probably could have even chambered an 8mm dia bullet ! !

I think the original loading used smokeless powder, and an odd lead bullet, with an iron or cupronickel cap covering the nose, and the body was paper patched. I believe the original dia. was .319, going into a substantially smaller bore. I think it will be quite forgiving with lead bullets, but as Ascast pointed out, jacketed bullets might require more research.

One thing I found out, is my rifle is rather hard on brass, with the chamber's large neck clearance, my cases split at the neck much sooner than when shooting my 1911 rifle. A fired case was expanded larger than a .324 bullet, and I would neck size them down too .309 , for my .310 or .311 bullet, so I was working the brass a lot for each loading. Annealing every time may help with this rifle.

Thanks for the info, was headed towards that type of load. Right now I can't get FL sized brass to chamber in this rifle. Looks like I'm going to have to shorten it....tomorrow's problem!

Boolit Master
    Are you using brass that has been fired in a K31 ? They have a slightly larger chamber, and use different dies, than the 1889 and 1911 rifles. One of the forums on Swiss rifles had a good illustration of the different case dimensions from cases fired in a K31 compared to a 1911 case.

Boolit Buddy
    16.0GR 2400, LYMAN 314299 (LYMAN #2 ALLOY, 200-201GR), SIZED .314-.315, 3.12” OAL, 5 1/4” HIGH @ 25YD, 1385FPS AT 8’ AND 45 DEGREES, HITS 7 ¼” HIGH AT 35YD

Notes: I only neck size about halfway down the neck, just enough to hold the bullets and minimize wear on the neck. The bottom half of the neck will remain expanded to the chamber and looks weird, but that's OK. My M1889 uses regular 7.5x55 brass with no trimming needed. My M1897 cadet likes the same load except the brass is trimmed to about 53mm otherwise the brass is too long for its chamber with the case mouth looking crimped after being fired. Brass is kept separated for each rifle. No high pressure signs; no leading.

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    Are you using brass that has been fired in a K31 ? They have a slightly larger chamber, and use different dies, than the 1889 and 1911 rifles. One of the forums on Swiss rifles had a good illustration of the different case dimensions from cases fired in a K31 compared to a 1911 case.
    Brand new brass and brand new Lee 7.5 x 55 dies.

Boolit Buddy
    I found the lee dies worked the neck a lot on my K31, but that is a different chamber.

Slug your bore. I have several 1889s and one of them, the earliest, has a smaller bore. 305 or 303 if I remember right. The rest are 307-308 so I think they changed it early in the production run.

In a K31, 25 grains of 5744 behind a 180 grain round nose is nice at about 1900fps. I wouldn't want to go much above that on a 1889 and wouldn't treat it as a starting load.
    Last edited by Black Beard; 12-24-2023 at 08:26 PM.

I did some comparing of case capacities and found the old 30 40 and .303 similar. So based on that I loaded 20 cartridges with 22gr of 5744 and a 200gr lead GC bullet sized .314. Too rainy to try them out. I found the front 1/3rd of the chamber was full of carbon and got that cleaned out and now it loads easily. I believe the original load was running at about 1950fps, so I'll stay under that as I work up a load.

Boolit Master

What Black Beard said. Not that I know it all, but a few minutes measuring might save you some aggravation. Chamber can vary as well. good luck

Boolit Master
    Your carbon in the chamber reminded me of a few light loads I fired using 3031 powder, I think it was 26 gr, and they would hang fire and produced gas blow by that came back through the bolt. The neck would not expand enough to seal the gas. I think Larry Gibson suggested a couple more grains of powder and a 1/2 gr of dacron, and that corrected the gas blow by. Perhaps that is what caused your chamber buildup

36 grains of IMR 4350 over a 312 NOE head powder coated and gas checked to .314. I use RCBS dies and it shoots real good