MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 1867 Rolling Block pistol

Boolit Man
    I am pretty sure the rolling block pistol is kind of a nitch item. It is a shame that Uberti has stopped making them. However if you have the skills and tools or know a smith that does. you can buy casting kits from Rodney Storie (sp). I don't have his contact info handy but he can be found on the ASSRA Forum. He also has kits for the #7 as well.That will give you a chance to have one at a reasonable price. Down side is the stock for the #7 is a bit on the pricey side but TReebone does have a pattern. I don't know if anyone makes the grips for the pistol or not. That may be a diy project. His castings are 8620 so they will harden up nicely and show some nice colors if done right.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by 6string View Post
    If you guys like Remington Rolling Block pistols, you might want to investigate a guy named Al Georg. He was a pioneer handgun hunter and gunsmith. He made a few rolling block pistols from original Remington rifle actions, usually for a small rifle cartridge. He wrote an article in the 1960s on one he did for 30 Carbine. Apparently, it got the attention of the authorities as it was an illegal rifle to pistol conversion.
    Years later, Val Forgett of Navy Arms fame, had Navy Arms do a IHMSA silhouette version of the rolling block pistol. It had a 14" vent rib barrel, thumb-rest grip, and was chambered in 30-30.

It's too bad we don't see more single shot pistols along these lines. It's a great looking package and a lot easier to deal with than a bulky Remington XP-100.
    I've seen a number of different Rolling Block rifle actions built into pistols, and I always wonder how guys can be so oblivious, or negligent in doing these when I thought everyone knew it was illegal to make a pistol off of a rifle action? Yet it seems there's plenty of them out there still.
    I know of one currently that's built on a #4 takedown frame and chambered in .32-20WCF! Not just illegal, but unsafe too! When I asked the guy about it his reply was, "It's safe with the light loads I shoot."
    I told him that didn't make it legal, he just shrugged his shoulders.

Boolit Master

I'm not very familiar with the laws. But if the action was made before 1898 - say a 1870s NY state rifle action. Would building a pistol from that be illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    I'm not very familiar with the laws. But if the action was made before 1898 - say a 1870s NY state rifle action. Would building a pistol from that be illegal?
    I can't answer that either. My gut says since it's "Antique" it's considered a non firearm by ATF rules, so shouldn't be an issue. But I'd want it down on paper from ATF before I did such a modification.

Boolit Master

I agree, it is kind of a gray area.

I'm interested as well. A short barreled rifle or machinegun made before the 1898 would still be considered NFA items, wouldn't they?
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I'm interested as well. A short barreled rifle or machinegun made before the 1898 would still be considered NFA items, wouldn't they?
    Well it's tough to find 1898 or earlier machineguns, but the rest I don't know about.
    And the way things are, unless you have a friend whose an ATF agent it's uncomfortable to ask, and maybe end up on some list of people they want to go visit.

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    Well it's tough to find 1898 or earlier machineguns, but the rest I don't know about.
    And the way things are, unless you have a friend whose an ATF agent it's uncomfortable to ask, and maybe end up on some list of people they want to go visit.
    I agree.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

The way I understand it, antiques are still firearms so would still be subject to most of the NFA rules. Muzzle loading guns are not (yet) considered firearms and thus are exempt from the NFA. This is just my take and not legal advice. I believe the ATF uses ambiguity to advantage, if they want to get you they will.

Boolit Grand Master

John Browning turned a 1892 Winchester into a full auto that then evolved into the Colt "potato digger" Machinegun as used in Cuba. So well before 1898.
    Reportedly the 1892 would fire the hole tube mag in about 2 seconds. Did not upset the neighbors as Mr. Browning was always carrying out interesting "experiments" with firearms.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    John Browning turned a 1892 Winchester into a full auto that then evolved into the Colt "potato digger" Machinegun as used in Cuba. So well before 1898.
    Reportedly the 1892 would fire the hole tube mag in about 2 seconds. Did not upset the neighbors as Mr. Browning was always carrying out interesting "experiments" with firearms.
    I'm not sure about that in 1892, but did read he did it on an 1873 model.
    I wouldn't doubt both models or either model with his expertise

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    The Colt Model 1895 machinegun was designed in 1889 by Browning but patented in 1892, so not based on an 1892 Winchester. And it certainly doesn't look like any of the various 1873 or 1892 actions. It does use a gas operated "lever" which gave it the "potato digger" name.
    Probably going to be tough for any civilian to find one or own one, even with a special tax stamp. And of course making your 1873 or 1892 into a machinegun is likely going to get you in trouble with ATF these days, even if it's an antique you started with.

Boolit Master

Safer just to stick with a Gatling gun ��

Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    Safer just to stick with a Gatling gun ��
    Or our old single shot rifles!

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    The Colt Model 1895 machinegun was designed in 1889 by Browning but patented in 1892, so not based on an 1892 Winchester. And it certainly doesn't look like any of the various 1873 or 1892 actions. It does use a gas operated "lever" which gave it the "potato digger" name.
    Probably going to be tough for any civilian to find one or own one, even with a special tax stamp. And of course making your 1873 or 1892 into a machinegun is likely going to get you in trouble with ATF these days, even if it's an antique you started with.
    You are right on that.
    In his book, they showed a prototype hand held he'd done off the 1873 model Winchester.
    I'd stick with a single shot

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234