MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Does the fired patch really tell the whole story?

Boolit Master

Does the fired patch really tell the whole story?

I have always heard “recover your patches and they will help you determine why you’re having trouble making your gun shoot.” I am not sure I believe this to be the case entirely. The reason why I bring this up is my 50 cal, at 50 yds keeps 3 shots under 1.5 Inches every time unless I do something stupid. Because it always shot so well I never paid any attention to the patches, nor tried to recover them. A couple days ago while getting ready for ML season, I decided after a few hours of shooting, I would look for a couple of patches. I was shocked because my patches look like confetti. All my life I’ve been told that if your patch is cut, or comes out black you need a thicker patch because your gun won’t shoot well if you don’t. To test the theory I sat up set up 3 1 Ltr bottles at 100 yds and off the bench exploded all three. The chronograph says I’m averaging 1488 fps. I am a firm believer in if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. The load is 80 gr of Goex behind a .493 round ball, with 0.015 pillow ticking.
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master

Just a thought...rough rifling can shred a patch also. I'v gotten some good accuracy out of some less than stellar bores in the past.
    PS. I only check patches when I trip over one.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

I would agree with the if it ain’t broke don’t fix it if your getting what you want accuracy wise. If you were not, the patch can help diagnose a problem. I like to fiddle and would try a heavier patch just to see if there was any difference. As I have mentioned before
    It take a lot of balls to shoot like I do. Lol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boerrancher View Post
    I have always heard “recover your patches and they will help you determine why you’re having trouble making your gun shoot.” I am not sure I believe this to be the case entirely. The reason why I bring this up is my 50 cal, at 50 yds keeps 3 shots under 1.5 Inches every time unless I do something stupid. Because it always shot so well I never paid any attention to the patches, nor tried to recover them. A couple days ago while getting ready for ML season, I decided after a few hours of shooting, I would look for a couple of patches. I was shocked because my patches look like confetti. All my life I’ve been told that if your patch is cut, or comes out black you need a thicker patch because your gun won’t shoot well if you don’t. To test the theory I sat up set up 3 1 Ltr bottles at 100 yds and off the bench exploded all three. The chronograph says I’m averaging 1488 fps. I am a firm believer in if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. The load is 80 gr of Goex behind a .493 round ball, with 0.015 pillow ticking.
    Aint broke dont need fixin is a good first principle -----if accuracy goes away then patches is the first and easiest place to start the search.

Not always the torn patch thats at fault
    I have a 54 that I load hard (used to be 120 grains of FFG)
    started out with a backer patch (1" dry calico ) on the powder then a damp calico patch on the ball - it was crazy accurate most of the time - just would throw an occasional wild one - was it me ? (good chance I flinched)
    couldnt figure it out until one day I decided to go back to basics - cut a patch on the muzzle with a knife like the old dtimers
    that was it - I was using precut patches and they were just a bit small every occasionally I would get a patch not quite dead centre and as it loaded the thing would skew a little - ended up with a little bit of naked ball - those flyers were not consistent in direction - when I went to work and used patches same size as that cut on the muzzle one - never had the problem again
    It often the little simple stuff that gets us

Boolit Master

Thanks for the conformation that I’m doing it right.
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Aint broke dont need fixin is a good first principle -----if accuracy goes away then patches is the first and easiest place to start the search.

Not always the torn patch thats at fault
    I have a 54 that I load hard (used to be 120 grains of FFG)
    started out with a backer patch (1" dry calico ) on the powder then a damp calico patch on the ball - it was crazy accurate most of the time - just would throw an occasional wild one - was it me ? (good chance I flinched)
    couldnt figure it out until one day I decided to go back to basics - cut a patch on the muzzle with a knife like the old dtimers
    that was it - I was using precut patches and they were just a bit small every occasionally I would get a patch not quite dead centre and as it loaded the thing would skew a little - ended up with a little bit of naked ball - those flyers were not consistent in direction - when I went to work and used patches same size as that cut on the muzzle one - never had the problem again
    It often the little simple stuff that gets us
    Going back to basics always seems to solve lots of problems ???