Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: My First .357 Magnum

My First .357 Magnum

I have always been more of a 45 colt guy, but after reading Texasflyboy's "75,000 Wadcutters in a Model 27" post, something in me wanted to have one. Today while browsing a local shop, I happened to find a used, but extremely good condition Model 27-9 Classic. It had no external wear and the bore/cylinders looked like less then a box had been through it. I talked the store keep down to 900, which for today's prices and compared to a 27-2 in good condition, seemed like a win for me. Now to go down the rabbit hole of casting for a new cardridge!

Boolit Grand Master

Years ago, I had an original model 27 with an 8 3/8" barrel. Although it was rather unwieldly to tote around it was one of the most accurate and FUN 357's that I have owned. One of my hunting partners tried it out and decided that he couldn't live without it, so I sold it to him. Dang it, I miss that gun sometimes...
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pdgoutdoors View Post
    I have always been more of a 45 colt guy, but after reading Texasflyboy's "75,000 Wadcutters in a Model 27" post, something in me wanted to have one. Today while browsing a local shop, I happened to find a used, but extremely good condition Model 27-9 Classic. It had no external wear and the bore/cylinders looked like less then a box had been through it. I talked the store keep down to 900, which for today's prices and compared to a 27-2 in good condition, seemed like a win for me. Now to go down the rabbit hole of casting for a new cardridge!
    and it's a deep one for sure & for certain!

Boolit Master

NICE way to start!

My 50th birthday present to myself was a 5" Pre-27 from the early 1950's. The S&W tapered barrels combined with the checkered upper surface of the 27 are one of those sterling examples of "This was when the manufacturers CARED".

If you have .44's and .45's to handle the "boomer" chores, you might look for a sweet spot in the .357 loading range that is well off the charts for .38 Special, but still well below what the .357 is capable of. For me, these "combat loads" toss 160 to 180 grain around 1,000 to 1,100 fps at roughly .40SW - .45ACP recoil levels with a flatter trajectory and more penetration.

OR. . .you can make up a bunch of light wadcutter loads and have the sexiest cap gun of any kid on your block.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

38 special in my 16 inch rossi is just such a kids gun. Almost no recoil. Just smiles

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I've never seen anyone have 'buyer's remorse' with one.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    The only remorse I ever had on a highway patrolman was not buying it. Minty and with 4 speed loader for $400, but that was a little over 15yrs ago and money was different then.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by pdgoutdoors View Post
    Congrats and then some on your new-to-you Model 27!!! A few years back I had one, and the ubiquitous money-need for a crisis I cannot recall, made the need for me to sell mine (and three other prized firearms ). The last one I saw was in a LGS with an $1,199.00 USD price tag on it, so I think you did quite well $$$-wise, too.

ENJOY!!!!!
    geo

Boolit Master
    I bought a 27 with a 5" barrel back in the late '70s
    I still have it.
    It is my my most favorite revolvers.
    The barrel length is great for carrying.
    It is also very dang accurate with a full range of reloads with all different weights of Boolits.
    It also shoots .38s great as well as cast Boolits in either caliber.

Boolit Grand Master
    A nice .357 pistol and rifle are darn near "necessities" as far as I am concerned.

You did very well on your acquisition.
    Don Verna