WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to build a heated cat house

Boolit Master

Need to build a heated cat house

I have severel cats do to the out buildings. I would like to build a warn inclosure for them but have no idea what is needed. I could use some ideas for the house and heat.

Boolit Master
    When we had outside cats, I made a box with t111 paneling left from a previous job. I made it so the cat had to go a narrow tunnel the turn into a larger chamber. Then I lined the box with 1" insulating foam board. The lid was hinged, to make the sleeping chamber accessible to cleaning. The "ceiling" in the sleeping chamber was also lined with the foam board. The box was kept in the garage, to shield it from the wind. The garage door was kept open, just high enough so the cat could crawl underneath. The entrance opening on the box was just high enough for the cat to go inside. The opening was rounded at the top. Cut out with a Saber saw. One of my daughters is still using one of the two boxes I made, for her outside cat. I also used a rag towel in the sleeping chamber

Boolit Master
    Knew a guy that built a plywood box with a opening just big enough for the cat to go through and put a pad in the bottom. He used a light bulb for heat but shielded the cats from the glare. I think a ceramic reptile heat bulb that screws in a light fixture would work better, it's just heat with no light. They come in different wattages like a light bulb and last a lot longer. I use a 60w in my well box and have had the same one for several years. Bought mine off Amazon, about $15 for two.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Use one of those heated pet pads. Our dog loved hers. We just put it in her dog house

Boolit Buddy
    Outside critters don't need a heat source , you aren't really doing them any favors by providing one .

A nice dry snug place out of the wind with some dry bedding providing insulation from the ground is about as much luxury as they need. Nature provides a warm fur coat and metabolism to take care of themselves.

When it's really cold a water source will do them more good then heated accommodations

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    For years I have been using the Foam Shipping containers for frozen food ( Nutrisystem) For My outdoor cats I fill them with Straw and cut a 5" hole in them .
    They are 2" thick foam and Have protected them in the NEPA winters which get to 0 deg and a bit lower No heating they snuggle inside and keep every body warm!
    I have house 22 cats at a time in 8 of these houses
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master
    JW Filips has a good idea there.
    We have two of the insulated houses with an electric pad. Cats seem to like them!
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

I made a cat house for a friend from an old Igloo cooler. Road find special. 6" hole saw, cut the hole near the top. Lid was hinged to open for cleaning. Old rug in the bottom. It even had wheels for her to move it around easily for the feral cat that took up residence in her back yard. I put a little tin awning over the opening to slow down the rain/snow.

We had a much more elaborate cat-o-minium at the farm for my mother's cat. I put an electrical heat tape in the bottom under the rug. I think it got too hot for the cat, she destroyed the heat tape and moved out of the cat box. I think it was too warm for her.

The heated water bowl is probably the best idea. I used the bottom 5" of an oxygen cylinder with a heat tape duct taped around it. Heavy enough nothing was dragging it off and tough enough it wouldn't break if we ever lost power. Set it on a block of wood, not directly on the ground. Set directly on the ground it would freeze up when it hit -10. Wouldn't freeze on the block of wood. The cat was standing there waiting if I ever let the water bowl run dry.

Moderator Emeritus

Friend did the old cooler trick but he added a tunnel 2' long made form drain tile. Keeps out drifting snow. Cats will dig down to it to go in!

Moderator Emeritus

I have heard that Straw in a cooler is one of the best ways to go. Bedding, like blankets and such, that can ice up, can make for a miserable experience, that a cat would probably avoid.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    The trick is to get the correct size of cat to volume of container down. to much volume, poor cat freezes to death. To small, condensation is an issue.

family used those blue mini barrels, cut hole in one end, make sure to use a cheap vent on top, straw and a thin chair cushion. they do well.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    A heating pad under a thin cushion is a good idea, if it gets really cold where you are. Be careful not to get something to too hot. Consider a pad that is designed to germinate seeds.

Boolit Buddy

Cheaper and easier than the premade heated pet pads is a seedling pad. Can be had on Amazon for about 10 bucks and waterproof. I used to put one under the cats blanket on cold nights and they loved it and no worries of one getting accidentally zapped on a humid night.

Boolit Master

I think yours's is the best as outdoor and feral cats will put on heavier coats as the weather gets colder.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by fg-machine View Post
    Outside critters don't need a heat source , you aren't really doing them any favors by providing one .

A nice dry snug place out of the wind with some dry bedding providing insulation from the ground is about as much luxury as they need. Nature provides a warm fur coat and metabolism to take care of themselves.

When it's really cold a water source will do them more good then heated accommodations
    This. When weI first got our girls (chickens but same principles) I was all concerned with a heat source, etc. I did a bunch of research and determined keeping them off the ground and out of the wind was the way to go. Mother nature knows what she us doing. I do use the deep litter method (we shred our cardboard as bedding) and the have a 2x4 wrapped with rope for roosting. Same principles apply for cats. Keep them above the ground and out of the wind. A small area allows their body heat to warm it. I do have the heated water bowls, chicken one inside the coop and a heated dog bowl outside that work great. Good luck.
    Ron

Boolit Master

One of our dogs did not like to sleep on the carport. He preferred the mulch in the flower bed. One morning we saw him there with about a 1/2 inch of snow on his coat. He had his head up checking his surroundings, then went back to napping.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    How about a large plastic plant container with a $15 heat pad upside down and a weight on top if outside? I have one and a possum took it over.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 12-23-2023 at 11:10 AM.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I made a small insulated (dog)cathouse. Cat loved it. When he passed, his replacement moved in! I would think those heated pads used for reptiles would be the way to go. They don’t get really hot.

You needn't worry about cats and cold wintry weather.
    They always find what they need.
    Like Roger Miller sang in his song, "Every lock that ain't locked, when no one's around".........
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast