WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Press ergonomics

Boolit Master
    There are are some Carpel Tunnel Hand exercises. DO 'EM! !! GONRA sez they VERK! !!! - DO 'EM !

The only hand issue I've developed was with my old Lee Autoprime [round tray unit] hurting my thumb when I operated it. I found a used RCBS bench mounted priming tool and love it. I did add a spring under the lever and a washer to tighten it up where it was wobbly.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0604.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	321390

Ergonomics may be better for some yes, but bad for all is also not good. Having to dip the right shoulder on every ram upstroke is an example of bad for all.

Anyway, I've had Carpal tunnel a long time and the two things I found that help most is the longer the press arm / handle is the less force it takes, and the higher the press is the easier of a time I have on the ram upstroke.

The solution to all of my problems was a press bench mount that raised the press to where I did not have to dip my shoulder or bend sideways.

Nowadays there are a number of press riser mounts For Hornady, Dillon, RCBS, Forster, Redding and Lee and maybe others that are either universal or can be modded for other presses. I think a press riser is one of the best ergonomic solutions for reloaders, and is the best investment you can make.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gnappi View Post
    Ergonomics may be better for some yes, but bad for all is also not good. Having to dip the right shoulder on every ram upstroke is an example of bad for all.
    Gary, I agree that the dip is bad. Have had a RCBS Jr mounted and lightly used for some time. Started to use it more & more for processing brass. Still OK.

Then changed the bicycle handle grip to a 2" ball. Which has the user going lower with more shoulder dip. End of handle versus further up on handle. Oh, bad news, this isn't comfortable, at all.

But the ball grip beats the bicycle handle all to heck. Not going back.

So made some measurements and dug out a 4" square by 6" long block of wood. I think I found my riser. This also places the shellholder/ram upward into a better position.

Did look into bending the handle more upright, but it is located center of press. No go there...

45_Colt

Boolit Buddy
    OK, the 4" wood block riser isn't the best way to go. The press linkage will run into the bench top and riser. Which would then need to be clearance d. Don't want to cut a wide slot into them as it would weaken them.

Ack. A few more ideas, one is to use a steel plate and some wood. And move the press out from the bench top. But that puts a lot more 'stuff' onto the bench (in the way). And is a cantilever design setup.

Another is to manufacture an adapter to move the handle to the outside edge of the press (like the original RockChucker). This would allow the handle to be placed in a more upright position at rest. With less of a lower maximum point.

Of course, can always use a stool and sit while using the press. Not used to that, standing has been SOP. But don't see why it wouldn't be feasible.

45_Colt

Boolit Grand Master

Most of the "O" frame presses with compound linkage are very friendly, ergonomically. I have had a RockChucker for 45 or more years but I would expect the other brands to give good service.

If you are looking for "Ergonomics" Look no farther than the BPM Hand Press. You are already used to the operation of the Lee Hand Press, and it sounded like you are OK with the effort necessary to run it. You just need a lot better made version of that type of tool, that works a lot easier, and will last you for he rest of your life.

Mine has more Mechanical Advantage than the Lee and pretty much all of the "Bench Mounted" presses as well. Plus it will stand up by itself and can be Clamped to a Bench, and has a Superior Primer Catcher.
    It will do anything a bench mounted press will do. Plus it can be used anywhere, and it fits in a 13x7 pistol case. All your reloading equipment can be contained in a tool bag if you are pressed for space or need to travel..

I also have a version that uses the Hornady LNL Quick Change Die System. It can easily be converted to the Lee System by simply removing the LNL Bushing in the top plate and replacing it with the Lee Breech Lock Conversion Bushing like the one you need for your Lee Hand Press $5.

Check this one out before you buy a clunky bench mounted thing.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464191.jpg   IMG_0275.jpg   100464176.JPG   100464181.jpg   100464270.JPG  

"It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12