WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Press ergonomics

Banned

Press ergonomics

I need a bench mounted press, the lee hand press has really been hitting its limits of usefulness. Its gotten me through 3 years, but i just had to replace the breechlock bushing due to wear and tear on it.

Looking at the Lee Classic Cast press, but am really wondering on the ergonomics of it. Just how hard is that puppy on the hands and fore arms

I used an RCBS Jr. for about 40 years before I went to the Rock Chucker presses. I have seen used Jr's for sale quite frequently on ebay.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Ergonomics are subjective, it's difficult for others to make that call for you. The way you mount your press and the way you use it will define its ergonomics.

First, there are two main versions of the classic cast press. The original, where the spent primers are shot out of the side of the ram, the second has the spent primers dropping out of the bottom of the ram. I would say the second version is the most ergonomical of the two. Plus it can be upgraded to load big rounds like .50 BMG. I like it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-10 at 21-35-06 Lee Precision Inc.. Roller Handle Upgrade Kit for Six Pack Pro.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	290.1 KB 
ID:	321231
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Moderator Emeritus

Ergonomics? I have no idea.
    The LCCP has a much better mechanical advantage design, compared to Lee's handpress, so it's lots easier to use for tasks that require some force. I have two of them. Some people use them as a Swaging press.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

"where the spent primers are shot out of the side of the ram"

Duces,
    do they still make that one? Or has it been discontinued?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Yeah, I think it's been discontinued. I hope they update the challenger press with spent primer down drop too. I might pick one up then.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Bub
    I am Very Happy With my Lee Classic Cast Press (2nd Gen), I Also Have Breech Lock Challenger, Breech Lock Hand Press, 4 Hole Turret press, Also other Single Stages RCBC, Pacific ETC.
    I First Got the Challenger and Liked it but Wanted Something Heavier with a little better leverage. The Classic Cast is my go to, no issues so far, and well over 10k rounds through it.

Banned
    I have some mild carpal tunnel issues. My job is mainly very hand intensive and the use of wrist braces puts MOST of the stress into my fingers. As a result some days, and some weeks the lee hand press can be a joy to use to process 100 rounds of 38 special from size-flare-prime-seat-crimp. And others, 50 rounds has me crying.

How convenient and easy is the included primer system with the classic press? Ive become adjusted to using the handpress and the lee spring loaded primer pins but the new version is just crap. On 38 special i swear it destroys 5% of the primers i try to load by flipping them sideways at the exact moment it starts to insert primer into primer pocket.

The included priming system is a catch 22 it's there, but until you get the safety prime kit, you won't be cruising. Now the Lee Deluxe APP is a priming machine.

Boolit Master
    I’ve never really understood the ergonomic question. I’ve had surgeries on both wrists. I had tendon repair + carpal tunnel release on the right and I shattered the left in about a dozen places, it’s literally screwed and glued back together. Constantly drop things held in either hand. Left hand shakes violently after holding anything longer than a minute or so. You should see me shoot non dominant lol. If anyone should have a problem reloading, I certainly should! Yet I have no issues, and I load 38 special, 357 mag, 357 maximum, 9x19
    9x18, 5.56 , 30-06. So when I tell ya I don’t understand the ergonomic question, I don’t. Oh and when I reload on a single stage and not my classic cast turret, it’s a 40 year old challenger (actually it’s more like pre challenger). I even use 310 tools just to practice, lol So I’m really no help in answer your question at all.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by magnumuser View Post
    I have some mild carpal tunnel issues. My job is mainly very hand intensive and the use of wrist braces puts MOST of the stress into my fingers. As a result some days, and some weeks the lee hand press can be a joy to use to process 100 rounds of 38 special from size-flare-prime-seat-crimp. And others, 50 rounds has me crying.

How convenient and easy is the included primer system with the classic press? Ive become adjusted to using the handpress and the lee spring loaded primer pins but the new version is just crap. On 38 special i swear it destroys 5% of the primers i try to load by flipping them sideways at the exact moment it starts to insert primer into primer pocket.
    While I have a LCCP, I don't prime on it. I also have the LCTP (Lee classic turret Press) and I prime on that. It uses the same " safety prime kit" that Deces mentions. It will work on either the LCCP as well as the LCTP. The safety prime kit is fiddly to mount and align, but once you get it mounted and aligned perfectly, I find it a JOY to prime on the LCTP.

Another thing about either LCCP and LCTP, is that the handle is adjustable 360º and reversible for Right hand or Left hand. I'm not aware of any other brand Press that has that adjustability. So when your carpal tunnel flares up on your right wrist, swap the Handle and run the press with the Left hand.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    While I have a LCCP, I don't prime on it. I also have the LCTP (Lee classic turret Press) and I prime on that. It uses the same " safety prime kit" that Deces mentions. It will work on either the LCCP as well as the LCTP. The safety prime kit is fiddly to mount and align, but once you get it mounted and aligned perfectly, I find it a JOY to prime on the LCTP.

Another thing about either LCCP and LCTP, is that the handle is adjustable 360º and reversible for Right hand or Left hand. I'm not aware of any other brand Press that has that adjustability. So when your carpal tunnel flares up on your right wrist, swap the Handle and run the press with the Left hand.
    I've had my LCC for too many years to remember when I bought it, it's been a great tool from day one! Jon B in Glencoe touched on the adjustable handle; Not only is it adjustable as to where in the "swing arc" you locate the knob, but the length of the handle is also adjustable. And, as a safety feature (Remember, you can use this press with swaging dies) the handle is hollow. It is the weakest link in the leverage system, you'll bent the handle before you break any part of the casting or the arms in the linkage. There's a lot to like with this press!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    I do understand the ergonomics thing. Basically are the controls comfortable to use as in fatigue or physical damage over time and extended use. It is purely a subjective thing.

I don't like a press that the handle doesn't stay up, ask a few pinched fingers, or one that cams over. I do like the handle to one side, seems easier for me to operate.

The roller handle on the Lee looks interesting, that would spread out the force on the hand. All the adjustments would be a plus. A press with good leverage would also help.

The RCBS Rock Chucker is another that can be switched right or left. Hope you find what you like, get a good one change oil occasionally and you will never need another.

Another thing I use my classic cast is for collet sizing & crimping with the aftermarket product called the consistent crimp.
    https://www.titanreloading.com/produ...-cast-presses/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by deces View Post
    Another thing I use my classic cast is for collet sizing & crimping with the aftermarket product called the consistent crimp.
    https://www.titanreloading.com/produ...-cast-presses/
    care to explain how that little system works? quick peruse of the limited infor on the link..

i can only use it with lee collet crimpers, ie the rifle ones and the collet style handgun ones?

You can use it when collet neck sizing & crimping. It gets rid of a lot of variables.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have and have had probably 15 presses .
    They ranged from 1960ish to 2005 .
    Made by Pacific x3 , Lyman x3 , Hornady , Lee x3 , RCBS x5 that I'm sure of at the moment.
    I've had multi stages but mostly single stage , in 0 and C types .
    Of the 9 on hand the RCBS Partner ,2 RockChuckers , a Big Max A4,and a portable set up 008 Hornady red Pacific marked press for use .

The Big Max is just completely overkill unless you do a lot of forming .

The Partner is a great press with a design life of 50,000 rounds . It's an Aluminum frame , and honestly it runs out leverage past the Mauser family.

Nobody has ever laminated that the RockChucker was a poor purchase or inadequate . That's why there's a pair on them on bench .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    I like the Lee Four-hole Classic Cast Turret Press, not because it is a turret press, but because I can set up the dies once and leave them in a single turret. Primers drop out the ram through a hose into a bucket under the press. Of course you can use the press as a turret press, but I mostly use it as a single stage with all the dies mounted. I've had a Lee Turrets a very long time, first the three-hole, then the 4-hole cast iron as soon as it appeared.

Boolit Master
    I've had primarily RCBS,Redding and Dillon presses for single stage I'd go with Redding their decapping system will put primers in a trash barrel and has the ommff for case reforming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast