RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Hollywood Turret Tool

Hollywood Turret Tool

My HOLLYWOOD restoration and journey
    After reloading for 55+ years I was bored with my original RCBS Jr that I bought when I was 15 so I started looking for something different and possibly more accurate. First was a Lyman AA turret, then an RCBS Summit, C&H 1 hole and 4 hole, then a Dunbar. These were all great presses, just not what I was looking for. In researching the Dunbar I started learning about Hollywood Gun Shop presses. These from what I understand were built from the 1940's on and were built by former aircraft machinist after the war.
    My quest for one began. I was fortunate enough to get a cast steel Senior Short Boy. I was impressed. It reminded me of my dad's Rolex or a Rolls Royce. High in quality and workmanship, and built like a brick ****house. I was hooked. I have since ended up with a Senior Tallboy, 3 Senior turrets, a Model A, 2 - Hollywood Turret Tools, several Holywood powder measures and now a Junior is on the way. My final will be a Hollywood Super Turret ( I Hope). I feel very fortunate that these have all been aquired since August of this year. A couple will be my primary loading tools, some for sale and then the rest are reloading room eye candy.
    I went to the big Phoenix Gun Show with the sole purpose of looking for anything Hollywood Gun Shop. An hour in I found a Hollywood Turret Tool, negotiated the price and ended up carrying it around the show for the next 2 hours, broken thumb and all.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2276.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	321184
    Typically I don't do full restorations, as I like to keep vintage pieces like this as found with the exception of a good cleaning and lube as needed. My opinion if left in a clean operational state as found it gives me a connection to those that used it before me. This one called for more that that.
    Once I got it home I took a picture of the peeling red paint (who paints a Hollywood red), peeling original black crackle paint and all the rust. I then proceeded to spray all nuts, bolts, pins and anything that should move with Blaster penetrating oil. After letting it sit for a day I started unbolting anything that would budge. If it didn't move, more Blaster. The top cap and turret came off rather easily. I then sprayed those with citrus cleaner. After more PB, I was able to get the shell holders (2) out and again sprayed these with citrus cleaner. Next came the primer turret, it came off with quite the struggle, but I managed to get it off, however the primer stems weren't going to move. More PB, no joy. I had mixed up a small jar of Lemishine powder, water and citrus cleaner. I then used a heat gun to heat up the turret where the primer stems were and dropped it into the jar with the liquid in it. First primer stem came out pretty easily. Did the same procedure for the other two primer stems. Once they were out I started soaking them in the jar with the liquid mixture in it. After several soakings and scrubbing with a SS wire brush, the primer stems were looking pretty good.
    At this point it was time to clean the three turrets of all the grease and grime. WARNING do not use a wire brush, polish wheel or any other type of abrasive on the the turrets. They have a hard anodized coating that you DO NOT WANT TO REMOVE! The idea is to clean them, not ruin them.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2286.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	321185Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2287.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	321186Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2288.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	321187
    Before any work on the press began, I made a steel base for this one as it was to be for display only, even though it is a fully functional press.
    After cleaning the above parts I turned my attention to removing the paint from the body, cap and handle yoke. I applied several liberal coats of Kleen paint stripper and used a plastic scraper and a plastic bristle brush to remove the old paint and grime.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2297.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	321188
    [At this point, look the aluminum casting over and address any casting flaws, it will make the final product look better to remove any missed chunks of metal that shouldn't be there.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2283.jpg 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	321189Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2285.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	321190
    Next I picked up some black VHT wrinkle paint along with a self etching primer (it helps the paint stick to the aluminum). I also used some Kleen metal prep, which cleans and etches the metal.]
    Once the cleaning and etching were done, I started taping off the places where I did not want paint. Taping the ram bearing surfaces on the body of the press proved to be one of the most challenging parts of this job, especially with a broken thumb. There's not alot of room to move in that small space. I applied the etching primer, allowed it to dry for the recommended time and then on to the VHT.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2298.jpg 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	321191 I had never used VHT paint before, so it was off to YOUTUBE to watch several different videos on how to use it. After the paint dried for 2 hours I turned up the heat in the garage to 84 degrees and then forced myself to walk away for 2 days ( I'm not a patient man).Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2304.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	321192 After the paint had cured for 2 days I started reassembling the press. For grease I used Phil waterproof bicycle grease on every thing that moved, spun or rotated. I bought new ball bearings and used a lighter grease when installing the 3 bearings and springs. Once it was all back together it looks almost like it came from the factory.
    Now I get to start all over on my seacond Hollywood Turret Tool, as I had made an offer for one on EBAY but had not received a reply by the time I went to the gun show. So after buying the first one, I got home and the seller had accepted my offer, so Turret Tool #2 is on the way.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2313.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	321193
    Many thanks to Hollywood Don and Hollywood Bob for sharing their knowledge with me about these wonderful pieces of machinery and history. There is just something indescribable about reloading on these vintage machines. As I tell Hollywood Don; I'm a reloader not a collector. He claims that with 8 presses and 6 powder measures that I am indeed a collector.
    Last edited by greybuff; 12-20-2023 at 09:46 AM. Reason: missed pics

Beautiful job! I have several myself, my Hollywood Turret is my most used press.

Boolit Mold
    Beautiful! I have what I believe is that same press. It's missing 2 primer posts and the little primer turret handle. Ant idea where I might find those unicorns?
    I still have all nine fingers!

Boolit Master

Ebay
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master
    Great restoration! I sure like to see old steel brought back!
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Buddy
    I also have the large 12 hole Hollywood turret press. It's the handiest thing on my benches. I keep a multitude of odd dies permanently set up. Universal decapping die, two RCBS bullet pullers, two Lyman primer seating dies (large and small), a 38 Special belling die, and a 38 Special seating die (just because I want to) to name a few. Got the RCBS conversion piece to use standard shellholders decades ago.

I have a box full of the Hollywood shellholders along with 3 of the priming posts that I've never used. I guess they can go with the press after I'm gone.