RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: hunting Revolvers

Banned

hunting Revolvers

I've been wanting a Ruger super Blackhawk for some time now... and I'm getting the itch. 44 Mag.

It's 500 bucks cheaper than the Redhawk... Any other ones you think are better ?

If you can get a hunter model do so. IMHO they are the best hunting SBHs there are. I favor the Bisley configuration, others don't.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Vendor Sponsor

You could give us a LOT more to go on than just price.

Will you be walking/standing/sitting as you hunt? Are you hunting deer? Scope, red dot or iron sights?

When it comes to heavy for caliber boolits, 44m and 45 Colt are pretty much neck and neck with energy, and powders used.

My tree stand revolver is a 7 1/2" SBH with Lee 310gr WFN over 17,0gr LilGun. My woods walker is a 5 1/2" medium frame Vaquero in 45 Schofield brass with 250gr OWC over 21.5gr H110.

The load for the SBH is quite stout, the load I use in the Vaquero is throttled back considerably, both loads reach just shy of 1200fps.

Let us know how you would like to use the revolver.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 12-19-2023 at 08:55 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I absolutely love my SBH's! I have 2 in 44 Mag (one I purchased on this site!). Both are 100% original everything. I carry one more days than not horseback or just in the hills.
    Practice, practice, practice! I have watched my step father in law go from basic training handgun in '65 to killing his first elk with one after 25 rounds at the range, I have shot elk off of my horse at a dead run, several deer, a black bear and uncountable critters since I purchased the first a few decades ago. No, not optic friendly but it is the best friend that you can carry or hunt with.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    I absolutely love my SBH's! I have 2 in 44 Mag (one I purchased on this site!). Both are 100% original everything. I carry one more days than not horseback or just in the hills.
    Practice, practice, practice! I have watched my step father in law go from basic training handgun in '65 to killing his first elk with one after 25 rounds at the range, I have shot elk off of my horse at a dead run, several deer, a black bear and uncountable critters since I purchased the first a few decades ago. No, not optic friendly but it is the best friend that you can carry or hunt with.

How did the horse feel about being a gun platform?

Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    How did the horse feel about being a gun platform?

Did I mention practice?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by castmiester View Post
    I've been wanting a Ruger super Blackhawk for some time now... and I'm getting the itch. 44 Mag.

It's 500 bucks cheaper than the Redhawk... Any other ones you think are better ?
    Yes, a 45 colt Blackhawk.

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Did I mention practice?

I have tinnitus in my right ear from shots fired from various .44's at critters. Now I wear electronic earmuffs. Maybe a thread about training a horse to tolerate noise and muzzle blast is in order in the future. I am not a horse person but do remember Skeeter Skelton writing about shooting a mulie off the back of his horse once. The horse was not consulted in advance and protested to the point that Skeeter wound up on the ground among the rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandspider500 View Post
    Yes, a 45 colt Blackhawk.
    I have never had a .45 Colt Ruger that would shoot with a .44 Ruger.

Boolit Buddy

I have owned em all !!! I love my Anaconda 6" have killed two deer with a 44Mag! Spend a little more. If you know a frendly local dealer you can get an Anaconda for under $1400

Banned
    Like to have one for black bear. There's a huge bruin on the ridge where I hunt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    I have tinnitus in my right ear from shots fired from various .44's at critters. Now I wear electronic earmuffs. Maybe a thread about training a horse to tolerate noise and muzzle blast is in order in the future. I am not a horse person but do remember Skeeter Skelton writing about shooting a mulie off the back of his horse once. The horse was not consulted in advance and protested to the point that Skeeter wound up on the ground among the rocks.

Well, beginning with cap guns - 22 Shorts, cowboy action ear plugs for my cayuse and we picked our ponies from the cavvy. It takes a lot of time and work! Would I shoot more than 5 yards from a horse??? HECK NO! But if they're breath feeling distance, listening to the hooves pound the snow - I would put my 2 spikes against any of the big bulls I've killed as far as trophies go!

I have several hunting handguns from 480 ruger to 22lr. Most are blackhawks. My favorite is my 45 colt with 7 1/2” barrel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0056.jpg   IMG_0212.jpg  
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Which SBH you buy is strictly a matter of preference but in my experience, I would not have another one with the square back trigger guard. The danged thing beat my finger to death. I like the Super Redhawk Rugers but the SBH models can be made to have a lot better trigger easier. Both are great hunting guns. If you are going to scope it, the Super Redhawk comes with a pair of rings and they are super strong. Front sights on SRH's are easy to change. 44's and 45's handle boolits up to 300 grs and heavier if you need it and you would probably have to go to a 454 to get much improvement. But...it comes with considerable blast and recoil if you load it to full snort.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I have a SBH in 44, and was the first handgun that I used to take deer with.
    Mine is scoped, I have also used the BH 41 mag with a 6.5" barrel, and a Ruger Vaquero with the 4 5/8" in 44 mag.
    The last one was... a Remington 1858 clone in 44.
    Been carrying the BH this season but, as of yet nothing has wandered up close enough.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Mold
    I have one with the 10.5-inch barrel. I bought mine the day after my friend let me shoot his Super Blackhawk. I was amazed at how on my second shot with this hand cannon - using only iron sights I could hit a soda can 500 feet out. I am a target shooter who can appreciate reports of these powerful handguns taking down big game out further than my eyes can see. As a target shooter, I do not need a double-action Redhawk- Target shooters and hunters are not having a shootout with the bad guys - we think before we shoot - no flinching - every shot is thought out. Again, the S Blackhawk is tack sharp accurate, handheld it amazed me how this powerful handgun was as accurate as a lightweight target pistol!

Moderator Emeritus

Many years ago, I bought a customized S&W 629 with a 8 3/8" barrel and a Nikon scope. That was when I learned I don't like optics on handguns.
    Myself, I wouldn't hunt with a semi-auto...I know you didn't ask that, I just want to put that out there.
    I've owned several revolvers. I'd prefer a double action, Probably a Redhawk would be my first choice. I'll like one I could holster...so a 6" barrel would be plenty long for me.
    Also, it'll have to be 41 Mag
    That's my 2¢
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I only had one. .45LC. Like Doug I loaded it hot with heavy bullets. Hitting clay pigeons at 100yd was fun. Never hunted with it, but, carried it when I was hunting.

After about a year I noticed my wrist would get sore after shooting. Second year it would stay sore all week. About that time is when Taffin wrote his piece on permanent damage from such shooting and I sold the gun.

Consider getting a Bisely grip if you have large hands. The trigger guard 'raps' the middle finger with heavy loads. Or you can get the 'ugly' pachmayr grips

Boolit Master

I bought the first SBH I could get my hands on when they first introduced it in 1993.

I've since learned how to run a double-action revolver effectively to where I pretty much don't cock the hammer on one - ever.

My advice would be to spring for the Redhawk: you can still run it SA if that's your preference; you can load or dump all 6 at once; the cylinder has a little more room for longer bullet noses.

The Smith 629 is no slouch either if it fits your hand better.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    I bought the first SBH I could get my hands on when they first introduced it in 1993.

I've since learned how to run a double-action revolver effectively to where I pretty much don't cock the hammer on one - ever.

My advice would be to spring for the Redhawk: you can still run it SA if that's your preference; you can load or dump all 6 at once; the cylinder has a little more room for longer bullet noses.

The Smith 629 is no slouch either if it fits your hand better.
    Good to know!! Different brands have longer bullets than others yes. I heard about the grips on the BH being disappointing. The RH being better. I like houge grips myself.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast