Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IMR 4198 in .44 Special ("Keith" Load)

Boolit Bub

IMR 4198 in .44 Special ("Keith" Load)

Many years ago, I started reloading for .44 Magnum with a Lee Loader, a plastic scoop and a pound of IMR 4198. I have no idea why the man who would become my boss in another decade or so started me out with that powder, but that is what I had so that is what I used. Eventually I would discover Unique and 2400, then still under the Hercules brand, among others and that partial container of powder found its way to the back of the shelf while I explored and learned a few things.

In these times of shortages, I found that 2400 and Unique are both apparently made from stuff that comes out of an unobtainium mine, so when I wanted to develop a heavy load for my Ruger/Lipsey Flattop .44 Special, I ended up having to develop my own loads from stuff I had on the shelf or was able to obtain locally.

That partial can of IMR 4198 is still on the shelf. It's a bit dusty, but seems none the worse for wear... and somehow has managed to acquire a couple of latter-day compadres. So, now I have 2 1/2 pounds of powder that was apparently suitable for .44 Magnum loads once upon a time. Of course, in those days, I didn't write anything down and those old IMR powder loading data sheets have long since hit the recycling bins. I remember the load I was using being a bit unpleasant even in my heavy Dan Wesson .44... one of the reasons I started looking into Unique and lighter loads.

After doing a little research, I discovered that some folks have apparently been using IMR 4198 to load for .44-40 WCF... a much milder mannered cartridge than any that I was using, but hey... it seems to work for some.. even in '73 Winchester rifles. Now, the 44-40 WCF has a higher capacity than the .44 Special case, especially when loaded with a plain-base 255 grain SWC, so I started a bit lighter, ending up (so far) with an 18.7 grain load. This seems to be a max capacity load with minimal, if any, compression.

The load is stout and certainly not for Charter Arms Bulldog revolvers, and maybe not for Colt SAA revolvers either, but my Ruger seems to handle it OK. Recoil, although stout, is manageable and not too hard on my hand and wrist. Leading is minimal and the load seems to agree with my sights as to where the bullet goes. Given my old eyes, that is not always a given. I haven't seen any obvious signs of excessive pressure so far. I haven't really done any accuracy testing yet. I can hit a rotten grapefruit at 7 yards, which is about what I wanted it to do, so it's good enough.

Now, I still have yet to acquire a chronograph, so I can only guess at my loads' performance. Anyone else out there care to venture a guess as to my pressure levels and velocity with this load might be?

Both the 44 Special and 44-40 will exceed SAAMI max pressures by a fair deal before seeing any hints of "over-pressure" signs. The 44-40 SAAMI max is 13,000 cup. Winchester loaded the 44-40 to high velocity for many years that was reported to create 18,000 cup....so no "over-pressure" signs there at all.

Larry Gibson does a fair amount of 44 Magnum tests and might could test some special loads....or may already have such data.

Don’t feel bad, I used a load found in a DuPont IMR phamplet for 4320 in the .44 magnum.
    They plinked just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    The old tan DuPont load manuals listed loads with powders we normally wouldn't consider. I have one with data using 4064 in the 44 mag. Velocities stunk but it safely went thru the barrel.

Hmm I am not sure about using IMR 4198. That powder seems a bit slow. I like using IMR 4227, about 16 grains behind a Keith style 250 grain bullet makes a good round. It's around 930 FPS and will take care of any game found in the lower 48.

I would like to find some 4198 data for 44 Magnum for use in a rifle. I haven't looked yet, but I suspect others have done it. I bet it would up the velocity a fair amount.
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

44 Magnum Rifle Data

1999 IMR data has 44 magnum . No 44 special using 4198, slowest is 4227.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20231226_220800.jpg  

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I would like to find some 4198 data for 44 Magnum for use in a rifle. I haven't looked yet, but I suspect others have done it. I bet it would up the velocity a fair amount.
    I use 24 grains of IMR4198 with the .430" diameter Winchester JHP bullet in the .44 Magnum for use in my 1977 Winchester 94 lever action. Larry Gibson pressure tested the load for me with Winchester cases and primers at 1.598" OAL. In his 8.4" Contender pistol velocity was 1137 fps at 19,700 psi. as measured with his Oehler 43PBL.

I get about +120 fps in a 20-inch carbine. Not full power but overall a highly satisfactory .44 rifle load. Also suitable in the .44-40 for stronger modern rifles like the Winchester 92 and Marlin 1894, as case capacity in both is nearly the same.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 12-27-2023 at 01:11 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    No experience with 44Spl, but case capacity loads of 4198 and RL7 are very good in 44wcf with 205-240gr boolits…
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Boolit Master
    No alternative here ...4198 is the fastest powder available now ,and you have to make do with it.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    No alternative here ...4198 is the fastest powder available now ,and you have to make do with it.
    In a modern rifle or revolver proved for smokeless powder you can't get into any trouble loading 4198 in .44 Special brass with 240-250-grain bullet using a case full in bulk with about 1/8" compression, in the exact same manner in which you would load black powder. About 20 grains should be tickety boo!

If any "shotgun" powders are available, they work well in revolver loads, but perhaps your lawmakers have thrown the clay bird shooters under the bus too because their powders can be used in "evil pistols."
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Have had a couple pounds of IMR4198 for ages now; I just have never come across a use for it - have always went with faster pistol or slower rifle powders.

I appreciate this discussion, Thank you 243win and Outpost!
    BulletMatch: Cataloging the World's Bullets

Lead Alloy Calculator

Boolit Master
    Nothing to do with politics ,more to do with USA powder situation,and last years spike in shipping costs ........the only local powder factory had a big fail moving away from nitroglycerin ,and consequently there are no replacements for the double base powders ...........they claim to be working 24/7 on their IMR powders ,mainly building up the military s stockpiles ,which were allowed to run down to nothing by previous governments.

Concerning the 44WCF (44-40) a case full of Reloder 7 with a 200-240gr cast bullet is a standard pressure load.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Keith Load ? Don't understand the reference.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

When John Ross posted here he advocated rifle powders in the 500 smith and Wesson and stated that you could load to the base of the bullet and have a safe case filled load that would eliminate the danger of double charges of pistol powders. I’ve wondered if the concept would be the same for other revolvers and calibers.

I know it worked in the 500 because I tried some of the suggested loads.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by R-71 View Post
    I know it worked in the 500 because I tried some of the suggested loads.
    Any chance you have a link to this data? Thanks

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Very late to the Game, but THANK YOU, 243winxb, for this reference!

Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    1999 IMR data has 44 magnum . No 44 special using 4198, slowest is 4227.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Powder Valley has 2400 in stock, but neither of the 4198s are currently available, nor is Unique. Pro tip: Alliant Herco is a slower burning powder between the burning rates of Unique and 2400 and there is usually plenty of it available anywhere shotgun powders are sold. There is a huge amount of reloading data for it in 44 Spl & 44 Mag, plus most other handgun cartridges.

True story, during one of the powder famines in days gone by, I walked into a gun shop looking for Unique or 2400. There were a couple of guys ahead of me at the reloading counter, also looking for Unique or 2400. They left disappointed when the only powder left in the place was a pair of 1 lb Herco containers. I didn't leave disappointed at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast