WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Excalibur Axiom crossbow

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Excalibur Axiom crossbow

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I don't really know where to post it. I got a nice Excalibur Axiom crossbow on Fleabay, supposed to be delivered this week. I have some experience with crossbows, currently have a cheapie recurve that is surprisingly accurate out to 25 yards. If the Axiom extends my effective range to 40 yards or so I'll be happy. The seller says that the only thing wrong with it is the original string is getting worn and could stand replacement.

So, anybody have experience with these? My understanding is that most of the older Excaliburs (Axiom, Vixen, Ibex, etc.) were basically the same bow with different stocks and cosmetic features. Any recommendation for bolts and broadheads? I'm thinking that for a crossbow the heavier broadheads and stiffer bolts would be the way to go.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Purchased 2 year before last for the wife & I. Very good bow's, & ours have proven to be very accurate & powerful. That string needs to be replaced before anything happens. If that string breaks during shooting it can cause a lot of damage to the bow & possibly the shooter. They prefer heavy broadheads & have the power to push them. Enjoy!! versa-06

Awesome, just ordered one. Thanks!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Most bolts are the same weight and length in my experience. For broadheads, I like Shwacker 207 mechanicals. They come with a practice broadhead that does not open to set the scope with. Completely rebuildable too, if need be.

Thanks. Bought some Gold Tip 20" 425 grain arrows last night, hopefully can try 'em out on friday.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Most bolts are the same weight and length in my experience. For broadheads, I like Shwacker 207 mechanicals. They come with a practice broadhead that does not open to set the scope with. Completely rebuildable too, if need be.
    I switched over to Swackers about five years ago. I’ve never seen any head shoot any better and I definitely have never seen one perform any better. Half the deer I’ve shot with these have dropped right in their tracks. Of the others, the farthest one has gone is eighteen yards.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0109.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	321203

Sweet!

Boolit Master
    They are nice and open quickly. Only time I had to rebuild one was when the fat doe turned a bit and I shot her in the shoulder. Crushed the shoulder and bent the blades. Dead deer though.

Sounds great. I already have Muzzy 125's that worked great with my older bow so I'll try those first. The bow was delivered by the Little Brown Santa Claus last night. Looks to be in really good condition. The finish shows some honest hunting wear but that's all I could find. I made sure all the screws were tight and stuff, may be able to test drive tomorrow.

I have an Excalibur Micro Mag 340 and love it! I have shot several different arrows and head weights from 100 to 150 grains and all shot very well. If yours shoots as well as mine I think you'll be very happy!

Boolit Master
    Make sure to lube the rails and the string ever 5 to 10 shots. Do not lube the servings tho. Those need to stay dry.