Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cast designs

Banned
    I need an I pad for work, my phone is waaay to small to read stuff. Thanks for the info !

Boolit Master
    Pistol? Ah, what’s the difference? There is no such thing as handgun or rifle lead. Guns are simply launching devices made to launch a certain weight slug at a certain velocity with “maybe” a certain accuracy potential. The minimum and maximum range with cast work exactly the same unless velocity reaches a level to induce hydrostatic shock which is seldom tried for or obtained with lead.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Ackward View Post
    Pistol? Ah, what’s the difference? There is no such thing as handgun or rifle lead. Guns are simply launching devices made to launch a certain weight slug at a certain velocity with “maybe” a certain accuracy potential. The minimum and maximum range with cast work exactly the same unless velocity reaches a level to induce hydrostatic shock which is seldom tried for or obtained with lead.
    to punch through without expansion wouldn't be my idea of a ethical kill.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by castmiester View Post
    to punch through without expansion wouldn't be my idea of a ethical kill.
    Depends on what you're shooting, and what you're shooting with. A 35cal SWC of a hard alloy at 1200fps might not expand much, but is sure more than enough to take deer sized game. A 380acp with a hollow point may under the right conditions expand, but may not penetrate deep enough to stop an attacker.

It's about the balance between penetration, bullet size, speed, and expansion. A 50bmg might not expand any, but I'm sure it's more than enough to take any game you or I am going to hunt...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    In general, load manual tends to "push" a single Mfg's popular products (made popular because that's what they published) over the wider range of all available products. Another reason you need to buy more manuals. Not all boolit profiles have been recorded in the manuals. Not all boolit weights have been recorded either.

There is still some "wildcatting" to do interpolating between recorded boolit weights. Consult more than two manuals first. Start low, at or above the recorded MINIMUM for the closest boolit weight and work up. Try NOTHING over the recorded maximum though, unless you are looking for a bad day. I'm a rifleman too, a meat hunter, but have reloaded and shot a heap of pistols and pistol boolits.

I think you mean Brinell Hardness (BH), correct? It helps us help you if you indicate what you are hunting, which pistols, which powders, and which boolit profiles.
    Any in particular that stand out ? For pistols.

Boolit Master
    We had 5 different .357's to play with at one time, including a Marlin carbine. Almost all of them liked different weight bullets and loads.

4" DA liked 125gn loaded hot. 4" SA liked 158 bullets loaded slow. Marlin liked heavier bullets loaded hot. The two snubs liked 125gn medium loads. Buy some different bullets and try them. Once you find the weight and load your gun likes, then look for a mold.

If you want expansion get a HP mold. A good SWC or WFN will usually cut a good hole as well. Best of both worlds. HP SWC or HP WFN.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12