Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions for a Squirrel hunting rifle

Boolit Mold

Questions for a Squirrel hunting rifle

I would like to get a Centerfire Squirrel Hunting Rifle. For years .22 Short and .22LR have done me well but I want to use a Centerfire cartridge. I have a few candidates and was wondering which would be best. A local gun shop has a few rifles in .25-20 WCF they are a Savage Sporter , Remington Model 25 and a Savage 219. My friend has a Martini Cadet in .32-20WCF that he no longer wants and has 100 pcs of empty brass and 40rnds of 100gr Winchester factory ammo. I have a Martini Cadet in .357 Magnum that I was thinking about loading with .38 Short Colt and a low grain bullet. Another gunshop local to me also has a Martini Cadet in .17 Remington but there isn't a price listed for it yet in their shop, the barrel has no sights either and would either need to be drilled and tapped for a Scope or have dovetails cut for sights. If anyone wants to throw in their two cents by all means do. Most I have thought up so far was the whole .38 Short Colt for Squirrels. If anyone has better caliber suggestions please share them. Personally I like Single Shot rifles but I dont mind repeating rifles as long as the are manually actuated. I dont like Semi- Automatics they're not my forte.

Of those you mentioned, the Cadet in 32-20 WITH brass and ammo sounds good.
    25-20 brass is hard to find nowadays.
    BUT…. Try the Lee 105swc in your .357 with .38 Special loads and you may find your squirrel gun in front of you.
    I love hunting squirrels with centerfire rifles and pistols( with squirrel size ammo).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

For applications like that I prefer rounds that minimize ricochets.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    The 17 Remington is a varmint cartridge made from necking down the 223 to 17 caliber. It is way too powerful for use as a tree squirrel gun. A 148 grain wadcutter in mild 357 target loads might work well. Almost any centerfire is going to be powerful enough that you should aim for the head to minimize meat damage.

I used to like hollow base wadcutters in the 357 for squirrels. Loaded to very low velocity like maybe 500 fps, they kill well and don't travel far if you miss. Plus very quiet. As mentioned, 25-20 brass is about impossible to get right now.

From your list my first pick would be the Savage 219 followed by the Martini in .32-20. The .25-20 brass can be made from .32-20 by simply running it into the .25-20 seater with the stem removed and then through the full length sizer. What I would probably do would be find a Thompson Center Contender carbine in .22 Hornet or have a barrel made in .22 Squirrel and go to town!

If you are considering the martini cadet ask your friend what bullet he is using - if he handloads.
    They were 310 cadets that were rechambered and have a groove dia. that varies from .318 to .320+ so 32-20 loads with .312 bullets will usually shoot terrible.
    There are heeled bullet molds made for these that work but will not chamber in a standard 32-20 chamber. If you can get the Savage 219 without paying crazy money those are hard to find in 32-20 and are a desirable rifle .
    A martini in 17 Rem. may be problems with ejection because of the rimless case. There was a workable rimless ejector that was custom made but if you’re interested in that rifle check that out well. I think the larger slower bullets would be better for squirrels.
    Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 12-18-2023 at 08:27 AM.

Boolit Master
    The 17 Remington would make a terrible squirrel cartridge. Full power loads would leave nothing but fur and blood and I can't imagine trying to come up with a workable castg reduced load. I have a heavy barrel Remington 700 in 17 Remington and I don't even like loading for it because the bullets are so tiny they are hard to pick up and set on the case mouths.

I have a 32-20 that I have always loaded to "squirrel gun" levels using Unique and the Lyman 311008 bullet (115gr flat point). I get about 1,280 ft/sec. It drops a squirrel much better than a 22LR - no more limb clingers - but doesn't tear them up much more at all.

Boolit Buddy
    How would a round ball work in the 357 mag?

Quote Originally Posted by besk View Post
    How would a round ball work in the 357 mag?
    Just like a .36 caliber muzzleloader.
    Just fine.

Boolit Master

222 Remington and 223 Remington cast loads can be slowed to sub-sonic velocities.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    If you are considering the martini cadet ask your friend what bullet he is using - if he handloads.
    They were 310 cadets that were rechambered and have a groove dia. that varies from .318 to .320+ so 32-20 loads with .312 bullets will usually shoot terrible.
    There are heeled bullet molds made for these that work but will not chamber in a standard 32-20 chamber. If you can get the Savage 219 without paying crazy money those are hard to find in 32-20 and are a desirable rifle .
    A martini in 17 Rem. may be problems with ejection because of the rimless case. There was a workable rimless ejector that was custom made but if you’re interested in that rifle check that out well. I think the larger slower bullets would be better for squirrels.
    Jedman
    the Savage 219 in in .25-20WCF and the 17 REM Martini has a custom rimless extractor installed

Boolit Mold
    I am seeing a lot of praise for the .32-20 would a 71gr bullet be too small ? I found a mould for sale that casts a 71gr round in .312 and .318 diameter. or is it better to use a larger 100 to 125gr bullet ?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    For applications like that I prefer rounds that minimize ricochets.
    which rounds would those be ?

Boolit Master

I would have to go with the .357 that you already have.

I’ve used round ball loads in several of my rifles for squirrels- the 30-40 Krag included.
    It works on raccoons as well.

Boolit Master
    The Martini Cadet in 357 is probably the most versatile. I'm kind of envious. I have a few Martinis, but in .303 - one of which is an Afghan Royal Guard rifle (1921 Afghan Manufactured on Belgian Contract Tooling as I understand it) in pretty decent condition. Another is a Khyber Pass Clone with a pistol grip and a 4"ish barrel. But none of them are Cadets....

Something I recently did was use an 18" chamber adapter for a 20ga to convert a H&R Topper to 7.62x25. With some free sights from a member epoxied on I have high hopes for it's service. I haven't been able to make it out to the range to test it yet due to a back injury, then getting Covid. But if it'll shoot minute of squirrel's head at 15-50 yards that is good enough for me.

If it were me, I'd take the Martini in 357. That's a good gun.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot 310 cadet. They are very accurate and make a great subsonic calibre
    The bore on mine is about .321/322. I use the RCBS 310 cadet bullet which I size to .323.
    They are great guns but a 32-20 conversion would probably need a long lead in at about .323 to let you load it with a heeled bullet.

My Martini Cadet is a rook rifle in the old 380 Long
    Basically a 38 Long Colt case trimmed a bit, using its old heeled bullet. Shoots excellent, very quiet.
    Takes .375 to .380 diameter, 125 to 150gr. weight, so it's not as common as .357dia, but can be bought online or mold your own.
    Very easy on powder

Boolit Master

I made my cadet in 32 S&W long. Plenty of power for taking squirrels, no recoil and not much noise. Years ago I tried wax bullets in 357 cases, using 209 primers only. Don't know how accurate they would be at longer ranges but at close range they would go through 1/2" sheet rock ( don't ask).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast